NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whooops! I did it again!

Let's talk whiskey.

Whooops! I did it again!

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:19 am

Hi all,

Well, somewhere posted here at The Irish Whiskey Society, IWC said something to the effect that I have to be careful as I have COLLECTING in my blood. IWC was indeed correct. Last week, I bought TEACHERS HIGHLAND CREAM. Yesterday, I bought (a repeat buy) of BLACK BUSH. Today...I drove to The State of New Hampshire State Liquor Store and bought yet another BLACK BUSH (seven dollars less in NH) and a bottle of JAMESON 12
(which is a whooping FIFTEEN dollars less expensive in NH vs. Maine). Mind you, I am not drinking all now but rather putting away half of what I buy until Fall. JC, I tried man, but, I just couldn't bring myself to buy only ONE expensive bottle Scotch vs. two good bottles of Irish after driving all the way to NH. I swear, I will buy that LAGAVULIN 16 or such "higher quality" Scotch before too long. I had some extra money due to the fact that I recently sold some of my Vintage Audio gear. Of course, my wife got the bulk of the cash from the sale. However, the wife doesn't know I pocketed enough money for Whiskey. My collection as of today : (2) Redbreast, (2) Jameson 12, (2) BLACK BUSH, a single of Highland Park 12, Ardbeg 10. Opened : Black Bush (nearly gone), "The Irishman", Teachers HLC, Tamdhu 10, The Famous Grouse Gold Reserve. Yikes, that's 13 bottles since Mothers Day (May 9th.) Uh Oh, me thinks I've got a problem! Well, I DID give up going out to Restaurants, buying Coffee in the morning, etc. I'm having more fun collecting (and drinking) Whiskey/Whisky.
Am I the only one who is this out of control buying/collecting ?

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Re: Whooops! I did it again!

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 am

Can we stick to the topic here, please, and only post material pertaining to Brittany Spears' 2000 album of the same name.

Joking...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 pm

JohnM wrote:Can we stick to the topic here, please, and only post material pertaining to Brittany Spears' 2000 album of the same name.

Joking...

We all know how passionate you are about Brittney. You really must have been dissappointed when you opened the thread ... feel free to fill us in on any Britney nuggets that you may have.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Couldn't agree more; personally, I never tire of hearing about Britney's nuggets... :lol:
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm

JohnM wrote:Can we stick to the topic here, please, and only post material pertaining to Brittany Spears' 2000 album of the same name.

Joking...

Would you like a big wooden spoon - I find it helps with stirring. Also helps prevent getting burned.

Personally I think we should have a 5th heading on the main page just devoted to our thoughts on Britney. I remember drinking one evening in a pub in carrick on suir and th music that was playing alternated all night between one Clancy brothers song and one Britney Spears song. I was trying to work out what album they were playing - maybe "The Best Liam Clancy and Britney Spears album in the world.....Ever, Vol.2" or "Now that's what I call music by the Clancys and Britney. Vol 4."
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 pm

I'd say moonshine is Brittany's drink of choice.

Birthday: 12/02/1981
Birthplace: Kentwood, Louisiana, USA
Sign: Sagittarius
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:30 pm

I just really want to know what her favourite colour is. C'mon JohnM, I KNOW you know what it is.......

The collecting impulse can be fairly strong SixCats! Key is to stick to what you like, bide your time and ALWAYS push for a bargain! :thumbsup:
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:32 pm

She's a sagittarius, so clearly her favourite colour is blue.

SixCats. I'm actually trying to stop buying whiskey, but I can't. I have more bottles than I can drink, but I still buy more. Watch out!
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Stop the lights, blue is her fave colour?? Now I'm gonna have to get all my tattoos redone. What a killer man. I know that collecting can be bug, I must have bought that album on every single format: minidisc, laserdisc. vinyl, reel-to-reel tape, mp3, cd and cassette.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:33 am

Hi all,

Now, this is funny! Talk about off topic. Seriously, I didn't even know that the title/heading I wrote was a Brittany Spears song. I mean, yes, I have heard that song but, being an older Fart, I had zero idea who sang that song. I'm not one much for Pop Culture. My taste in music is classic Jazz (listening to Miles "Kind of Blue") as I type. I also love 1960 & 70's Rock, Blues and light Classical. Back on topic, I think I can answer my own question now. Yes indeed! I do believe I have a serious COLLECTING problem. Mind you, not a drinking problem (at least yet) but I like to Collect certain things and now it's Whiskey & Whisky. So, I plan on heading back down to NH tomorrow and make yet another purchase. I figure that since Jameson 12 is fifteen dollars less a bottle in NH than Maine, perhaps it would make sense to by yet another Jameson 12, no ? Heck, I had better open one of my Jameson 12 tonight and have a dram before committing to a THIRD bottle. You can rest assure that even if I didn't love it, I will drink every last drop regardless. At any rate, if I have enough pocket money, perhaps I'll buy a Laphroaig which is a bit more expensive than the Irish Whiskey. Bush Black, The Irishman, Tullamore Dew 12 and Jameson 12 are all close in price.
Gotta buy something!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:21 am

Ah ha! "The Irishman Original Clan" is once again back to it's $27.99 (no tax) price in NH. Sweeeeet!
Perhaps I'll buy a bottle of "The Irishman" and a bottle of Powers! Or...or...I did just open an pour myself a dram of JAMESON 12. Damn fine Whiskey! I realize that I am a newbie regarding tasting Irish Whiskey but, this much I can say...I have now tasted Redbreast, Black Bush, Powers, Jameson 12 and "The Irishman". I believe that each and every single one of the five are OUTSTANDING Irish Whiskeys! I would say that one isn't necessary better than the other, just different. I really think it just depends on ones mood which is prefered.
I enjoy (from time to time) a nice big bowl of quality Ice Cream. I enjoy Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry & Coffee. Each unique but equally good (in my book). I have quickly learned that once you reach a certain level of quality in Irish Whiskey, taste becomes rather subjective. Perhaps I would rate (regular) POWERS a bit "lesser" than the other four I've listed but still, quite good, especially considering it's much lower price. I would rate Jameson 12, Black Bush and "The Irishman" damn near equal in quality. These three are (U.S.) priced very close together. Redbreast is a bit more expensive. I killed my first bottle of Redbreast rather quickly. I have put two more away. Considering the lower price of Jameson 12, Black Bush and "The Irishman", it may be awhile before I spent the extra money on Redbreast. Wow, I have to decide which I prefer for a repeat buy tomorrow...Jameson 12,
Black Bush or "The Irishman". Tough call!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 am

Hi all,

Tough call over. Today, I bought TWO 750ml of "The Irishman Original Clan". Lovely stuff!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:24 pm

SixCats! wrote:Hi all,

Tough call over. Today, I bought TWO 750ml of "The Irishman Original Clan". Lovely stuff!

Regards,
SixCats!

Twice the pleasure so ;) Enjoy :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby SixCats! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi IWC,

Man, I just can't resist a sale ($27.99 a 750ml) especially when "The Irishman" is so difficult to find in New England. If I'm not mistaken, NH may be the only New England State who carries "The Irishman".
Next trip, more Black Bush and Jameson 12...unless Redbreast is on sale.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:06 pm

So good he replied thrice!!!
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Fixed...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby SixCats! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Hello WhiskeyBro,

Oooh, what can I say ? I'm SHOUTING it from the Mountain Tops! I enjoy "The Irishman". I find it a
"refreshing" type Whiskey. In fact, I just got home from my SIXTH day of work (Sunday is my only day off) and I'm (first) having a dram of "The Irishman" and then later on...a JAMESON 12.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey