NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Old Comber

Let's talk whiskey.

Old Comber

Postby damienmcguigan » Sun May 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Hey. Does anyone know where i can get a bottle of this from a reliable source?

Thanks
damienmcguigan
Quarter Cask

Re: Old Comber

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 24, 2010 12:04 am

There was smeone trying to sell a bottle of this a while back and I'm not sure if they ever got a buyer.

What are you hoping to pay for one as the prices wildly vary? Also it would be good to know where you are based.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Mon May 24, 2010 10:29 am

I have one, but am always on the lookout for another.
It's for my Dad who just turned 80. He grew up in Comber, but was too young to try the whiskey before the distillery shut. I finally got him one of the 80s bottling of the 33 yo a few years back and he cracked it this year at long last.
Unfortunately, he loved it and is now on at me all the time to source another!
My own bottle is collector quality, perfect box etc, so I'm on the hunt for something in less pristine condition for drinking. No box, damaged label, fine by me.
Equally, he's never had the original bottling of Comber - think it came in 7 yo and possibly 10 yo also. I'm on the hunt for either of those also.
If anyone ever feels the need to offload one, do keep me in mind, please.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Fionnán » Tue May 25, 2010 6:51 am

on the subject of O.C. does anyone know a pub (in ireland or otherwise) that you could buy just a dram of it from? I've always been curious about it but dont have anything close to the money to invest in an actual bottle
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Tue May 25, 2010 8:59 am

You can get it in the Four Seasons, but you might be paying what you'd expect to pay for nearly a full bottle... Maybe McDaids off Grafton St would have it. They have it in the Vat House in Temple Bar, but I'd say they charge a fortune for it. Maybe the Temple Bar too.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Michael Foggarty » Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

If some one can find me a bottle, i will stock it in the NEW whiskey bar im opening up and sell it at cost price to IWS members.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue May 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:If some one can find me a bottle, i will stock it in the NEW whiskey bar im opening up and sell it at cost price to IWS members.

Oh, and where is this whiskey bar going to be? Or is it too early to say? Sound very exciting.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue May 25, 2010 4:55 pm

Good luck with it Ally :thumbsup: . Sounds promising!
John.

Apologies :oops: - congrats Michael! Hope it all goes well for you!
Cheers,
John.
Last edited by John on Wed May 26, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Tue May 25, 2010 5:39 pm

John wrote:Good luck with it Ally :thumbsup: . Sounds promising!
John.

It is Michaels not Ally's, and as i heard it is opening very soon, near the Jameson visitor centre in Dublin
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Fionnán » Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 am

oh snap! i'll hold off trying it until then. sounds exciting, best of luck michael!
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am

Michael Foggarty wrote:If some one can find me a bottle, i will stock it in the NEW whiskey bar im opening up and sell it at cost price to IWS members.

Sounds like an opening party that should not be missed 8-)

best of luck with it Michael :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Michael Foggarty » Wed May 26, 2010 7:49 pm

I will keep you all informed on whats happening but i do plan to offer good value for IWS members.

A bit of info is that we will be stocking most/nearly all Irish whiskey that we can get our hands on/afford! along with along with beer from all the Irish micro brewers and we will be knocking out good food to boot, matching it with beer and whiskey.

Unfortunately there will be several "opening" nights as we try to accommodate everyone from all the different angles involved (Beer, Whiskey, Wine, Food, Suppliers, Family) and thats just the first week, im tired just thinking about it!

But no doubt we'll will organise a special night for everyone here.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed May 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Michael, wishing you every success in your latest venture, hope we can support you in your endeavours, :thumbsup:
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 pm

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:Michael, wishing you every success in your latest venture, hope we can support you in your endeavours, :thumbsup:

+1 on that.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Whiskey