NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What should I buy when REALLY strapped for cash ?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What do you buy when REALLY strapped for cash ?

Postby DavidH » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:So come on lads ... no more handbag stuff or I'll start deleting comments ...

Just got home... I'm behind IWC 100% but I also deleted the insulting comments. Not allowed, ever. Use the "Report this post" button if you are unhappy about something.

Thank you :)
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: What should I buy when REALLY strapped for cash ?

Postby SixCats! » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:43 am

Hi all,

Wow. I am sorry for any bad feelings that I may have caused here at The Irish Whiskey Society with my post.
This was not my intention. I guess this thread sort of took on a life of it's own. JC my friend, I hope there are no hard feelings. Tonight, I am just "kicking back" (as all you should) enjoying a BIG dram of "The Irishman".
I am celebrating...errrrr...Tuesday! Yea, that's it, Tuesday! BTW JC, you would be proud of me. This afternoon, I bought myself a bottle of BLACK BUSH (in Maine) despite the fact that it is six dollars less in NH. Why ? Because BLACK BUSH goooood! Veeeeery gooood!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 am

i am very disappointed it has come to this. i guess nowadays if you stand up to the "bully" you get called the "bully." i still stand by everything i said and would do it again in a heartbeat. i just chose to directly say these things. no sense in beating around the bush for me.

sixcats, i wouldn't worry about any of this. keep posting anything you want and don't let people make you feel bad for it. this is how you learn. if you ever need help or have questions, feel free to PM me.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:15 am

Hi all,

Thank you again Brettie for all your help and support. Hey, it's all good! Heck, were all friends here so, let's all have a drink! Dear God, I am enjoying Irish Whiskey TOO much! I can't thank all you guys enough for all your help. Tonight, I had a good size dram of "The Irishman" and now, I'm enjoying a nice dram of BLACK BUSH. Geeeezeee, both are sooooo good! I'm really torn about what to buy next to add to my collection. I'd like to buy another JAMESON 12 to open but, I'd have to travel to NH. Oooh well, at least I have one bottle of JAMESON 12 stored away for Fall. So, it's a battle between (the on sale) LAPHROAIG TEN, POWERS 12 or perhaps yet another bottle of BLACK BUSH ? Oooh, ABERLOUR 12 is on sale, any good ? I thinks that I am enjoying Irish Whiskey more than Scotch. However, I've only tried a few Scotch Whiskies. The Scotch Whisky I've taste so far are"The Famous Grouse Gold Reserve" (blend) TEACHERS HIGHLAND CREAM (INexpensive blend) and TAMDHU 10 (INexpensive SM). Perhaps I should wait a couple of weeks and put aside my Pennies for a bottle of LAGAVULIN 16 ?
Arrrrrr, tough call.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 am

If the Laphroaig 10 or Powers 12 are on sale, I'd go for them, even to put aside 'til later!!!
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby SixCats! » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Wbro,

Thank you for your suggestions. Yea, I'm thinking I should perhaps take a page out of JC's play book and now start collectiong with a mind towards greater quality (vs. quantity) seeing I've put away a decent stash of Whiskies. That's not to say I am UNhappy with any purchase I've made thus far, including Teachers Highland Cream. I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Laphroaig ten. It's kind of crazy for me to drive a two hours round trip (out of my way) paying gas, tolls, etc. trying to save a little money and making only a single purchase at the State of New Hampshire Liquor Store. I mean, it's one thing if I were heading through NH but, I guess I'll just have to "suck it up" and pay Maine's (outrageous) StateTax. Truthfully, Laphroaig 10 (being on sale this month in Maine) is priced nearly the same cost as NH's price without tax.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby PureDrop » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Have a look at ...
http://www.dramming.com/2010/07/19/my-t ... -whiskies/
I agree with him on the Kilbeggan, Connemara and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:05 pm

PureDrop wrote:Have a look at ...
http://www.dramming.com/2010/07/19/my-t ... -whiskies/
I agree with him on the Kilbeggan, Connemara and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
/M

i wouldn't buy kilbeggan for 50 cents, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm

brettie vedder wrote:i wouldn't buy kilbeggan for 50 cents, lol

Yeah, I've just bought a Kilbeggan mini for another attempt to like it.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 pm

DavidH wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:i wouldn't buy kilbeggan for 50 cents, lol

Yeah, I've just bought a Kilbeggan mini for another attempt to like it.

i tried 2 times already. wont be giving it a 3rd attempt, lol.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby PureDrop » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 am

Sorry lads, I think its a fine lighter style of whiskey - a perfect warmer-upper on a cold day. I also keep a Locke's blend near to hand when a bit more oomph is required on the taste buds.
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 am

Hi all,

PD (this is indeed ironic) today, I purchase (in Maine) my first bottle of Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey.
I believe Kilbeggan is THE least expensive Irish Whiskey sold in Maine. That being said, I am now having my first ever dram of Kilbeggan and I agree with you 100%.....Kilbeggan is a FINE tasting Whiskey ESPECIALLY considering it's bargain price ($15.00 and change) for a 750ml bottle. I am finding Kilbeggan a wee bit hot tasting but, I am rather enjoying it's smooth, sweet taste. An yes, it is VERY warming! A bargain to be sure!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:13 am

there are certain whiskeys i love and others i dont love so much. but those i dont love still taste palatable. kilbeggan to me tastes like poison. never had anything so bad in my life, lol.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 am

To be quite honest I don't find KIlbeggan vile but I don't find it overly exciting either. Not even for a "warmer up-er" ;) but for the price point it is not bad at all. However I have found that Bushmills White has come on in leaps and bounds in that regards possibly my top choice over Paddy, Tullamore & Kilbeggan which are probably the 4 closest blended whiskies from the 3 Irish distilleries. Obviously those for are not neccessiarily similar in mark up but I feel Jameson & Powers are too different to be in that sort of category. I cannot fault Powers and would be my go to cheap blend over the lot.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:To be quite honest I don't find KIlbeggan vile but I don't find it overly exciting either. Not even for a "warmer up-er" ;) but for the price point it is not bad at all. However I have found that Bushmills White has come on in leaps and bounds in that regards possibly my top choice over Paddy, Tullamore & Kilbeggan which are probably the 4 closest blended whiskies from the 3 Irish distilleries. Obviously those for are not neccessiarily similar in mark up but I feel Jameson & Powers are too different to be in that sort of category. I cannot fault Powers and would be my go to cheap blend over the lot.

i find bushmills white to be fantastic for the price. and for some reason, powers is cheaper than tullamore dew and jameson in PA, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Ace » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Now you guys have me curious about Kilbeggan. I've seen it in my local liquor store (in Delaware) and so far have not had a desire to try it. While I am new to the whiskey world, I have found that I haven't liked too many of the Cooley products when compared to Midleton and Bushmills.

PS Powers Gold Label is my current "cheap" favorite, at $22/750ml.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Ace
New Spirit

Postby SixCats! » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 am

Hi guys,

Isn't it interesting that some people (like Brettie) consider Kilbeggan awful (Poison) while others (like myself and Pure Drop and I guess some reviewers) find it quite good and tasty. I find Kilbeggan (especially considering it's price) one heck of a good buy. That being said, I guess it's just not for everyone. I suppose that I should consider myself lucky that I fall into the "LIKE" camp and have found a Whiskey that I truly enjoy that happens to be less expensive than Powers Gold label (which I also like). Another thing, I don't know what it is about Kilbeggan but, I sure seem to get one heck of a buzzzz when drinkng this Whiskey. IWC, I'm almost positive it was YOU who recommended that I try Kilbeggan so, THANK YOU for that recommendation. Ooooh, btw, when I first joined this site, I mentioned (in some thread) that I had tried a NIP of Bushmills White Label and how I rather enjoyed the entry level Bushmills. Ah ha, perhaps this newbie was right after all. Bushmills White Label IS pretty damn good. So, I guess I'll have to pick up a bottle of Bushmills White Label on my next visit to NH. Oooh, speaking of which, I went to NH today and purchase (yet again) another bottle of JAMESON 12. I believe I now have four unopened bottles of JAMESON 12. I just can't resist buying JAMESON 12 in NH as it is $15.00 LESS per bottle than Maine's price. The NH sales price ($30.99) on JAMESON 12 ends August 10th. so, I'm stocking up on them now! When money is tight (as it often is) I now have at least three LESS expensive Irish Whiskies to choose from : Kilbeggan, Powers Gold Label and Bushmills White Label and still be a happy camper! Higher in the pecking order it's JAMESON 12, BLACK BUSH and THE IRISHMAN. Then of course the next step up for me would have to be REDBREAST. Hey, I think I'm off to a good start!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:52 pm

SixCats! wrote:Oooh, speaking of which, I went to NH today and purchase (yet again) another bottle of JAMESON 12. I believe I now have four unopened bottles of JAMESON 12. I just can't resist buying JAMESON 12 in NH as it is $15.00 LESS per bottle than Maine's price. The NH sales price ($30.99) on JAMESON 12 ends August 10th. so, I'm stocking up on them now!

You seem to have good prices in NH. Too bad I'm not headed up to NH until early September (flying into Manchester and then driving to North Conway to climb Mt. Washington). I noticed a HUGE New Hampshire state-run liquor store just north of the airport on I-93 and was planning to stop in to get a bottle for the climb*.

*: after the climb, not during.
Ace
New Spirit

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:59 pm

saw laphroaig 18yo in PA state store for 65 bones. seems like an amazing price
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Ace,

I hope you'll enjoy your visit to NH come September. Do make sure you have some WARM clothing for your climb.
If I'm not mistaking, (the top of) Mt. Washington holds the record for THE coldest temps ever recorded on Earth!
Regarding NH Liquor Stores...yes indeed...I believe NH has some of the best pricing around. There is always something on sale. Before your trip, check out NH State Liquor Store's web site for pricing.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm

PureDrop wrote:Sorry lads, I think its a fine lighter style of whiskey - a perfect warmer-upper on a cold day. I also keep a Locke's blend near to hand when a bit more oomph is required on the taste buds.
/M

I'm with you on that. Nice bit of spice to it, I think.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:25 am

Tried the Kilbeggan again. Still can't drink it. Don't even want to nose it. It just doesn't work for me at all.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:43 am

Hi Dave,

Yep, Kilbeggan just isn't for everyone. I guess I'm just one of those lucky guys who (so far) can appreciate "something" good about each and every Whiskey I've tried thus far. I am Jazzed that I truly like Kilbeggan.
An added bonus is that it's price is so darn reasonable (read INexpensive).

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:28 am

SixCats! wrote: I hope you'll enjoy your visit to NH come September. Do make sure you have some WARM clothing for your climb.If I'm not mistaking, (the top of) Mt. Washington holds the record for THE coldest temps ever recorded on Earth! Regarding NH Liquor Stores...yes indeed...I believe NH has some of the best pricing around. There is always something on sale. Before your trip, check out NH State Liquor Store's web site for pricing.

Thanks, I will do so. I hear you on the weather. My last winter assault on Mt Washington failed when we were stopped by high winds at the Alpine Garden. The guides said it was -15 F (and colder) with the wind chill. I sure could have used some whiskey to warm me up. :mrgreen:
Ace
New Spirit

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Another Kilbeggan hater here, I'm afraid. (Ok, hate's a very strong word... Let's say disliker, if that's a proper word.) Some of Cooley's stuff is genuinely magnificent (love the Tyrconnell finishes, and the older Tyrconnells), and other of their output is clearly admirable whether to one's taste or not (aged Irish grain, all the Connemara range, etc).
And towards the cheaper end of the spectrum, which I know the OP likes to consider, I find the Locke's 8 year old to be tremendous value at least in Ireland.
But I don't find much to write home about with the basic Kilbeggan. Like IWC, I'd consider White Bush to be a preferable dram in that bracket. Even Paddy has more balance. And it's not a big step up in price to reach a zone of real quality at value prices, where the likes of Powers and Black Bush reside.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey