NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What should I buy when REALLY strapped for cash ?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What should I buy when REALLY strapped for cash ?

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:38 am

Hey hey JC,

I hope this note finds you well my friend. Oooh Kilbeggan. What can I say ? I'm sorry to hear it's not a dram that
"floats your Boat". I dunno, I guess there is just....."something" about this budget Cooley that tickles my taste buds. Ummmm....is it possible that the Kilbeggan sold in the U.S. could be different than what's bottled in Ireland ?
The review (linked in this thread) I read also thinks VERY highly of Kilbeggan as one of THE best "bang for the buck" Irish Whiskies. I truly would still purchase Kilbeggan even if it were the same price as POWERS or Bushmills White Label. I only wish LOCKE'S 8 year old were available here in the U.S. as LOCKE'S would be high on my list to try. Regarding BLACK BUSH.....ooooh, I LOVE Black Bush (I have a couple of bottles stashed away for Fall).
However, the only problem is, here in the U.S. Black Bush is TWICE the price of Kilbeggan.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 am

I suppose prices can vary much more in the states where as over here the Differences sometimes are not as clear and bog standards can be expensive in comparison to the next step up.

Here is an example of supermarket prices.

Bushmills White = €23.13
Blackbush = €25.19

Only €2 between the 2 :o

Jameson = €23.99
Crested 10 = €25.93
Jameson 12 = €34.94

Paddy = €22.19

Powers = €22.99

Kilbeggan would be in the same ball park as Paddy & Powers.

These prices make it easier for us over here to by pass a lot of the bog standards unless of course they are too good to by pass ;)

P.S.

Lockes Premier Cru as approved by the IWS is on sale now in the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

If your interested you will need to move as it probably will shift fairly fast.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby SixCats! » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:56 am

Hi IWC,

Wow, I didn't realize how closely priced Irish Whiskey is in Ireland. Maine's pricing on Kilbeggan is just under
$16.00 (tax INcluded) whereas Black Bush is $32.00 (tax EXcluded). So, yep, more than DOUBLE the price!
PADDY is even more expensive than Black Bush at $34.00 (tax NOT included). Tax is a big reason why I try to buy Whiskey in my neighboring State of NH. JAMESON 12 is a whooping $15.00 LESS expensive per bottle in NH vs. Maine. I have now purchased four bottles of J12 (from NH) and put them aside for a rainy day
(or looong cold Maine Winter). POWERS and Bushmills White Label are close in price at about $22.00 a bottle in Maine.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Previous

Return to Whiskey