NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Scalteen

Let's talk whiskey.

Scalteen

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Scalteen .... wha ... I hear you say. Scalteen I say. Something for the next gathering ;)

Came across an interesting thread on another forum in relation to an old Irish drink mixture.

Scalteen ...

http://www.thebookofdays.com/months/april/28.htm

In Ireland, before the days of Father Mathew, there used to be a favourite beverage termed scaltheen, made by brewing whisky and butter together. Few could concoct it properly, for if the whisky and butter were burned too much or too little, the compound had a harsh or burnt taste, very disagreeable, and totally different from the soft, creamy flavour required. Such being the case, a good scaltheen-maker was a man of considerable repute and request in the district he inhabited. Early in the present century there lived in a northern Irish town a very respectable tradesman, noted for his abilities in making scaltheen. He had learned the art in his youth, he used to say, from an old man, who had learned it in his youth from another old man, who had been scaltheen-maker in ordinary to what we may here term, for propriety's sake, the H. F. club in Dublin. With the art thus handed down, there came many traditional stories of the H. F.'s, which the writer has heard from the noted scaltheen-maker's lips. How, for instance, they drank burning scaltheen, standing in impious bravado before blazing fires, till, the marrow melting in their wicked bones, they fell down dead upon the floor. How there was an unaccountable, but unmistakeable smell of brim-stone at their wakes; and how the very horses evinced a reluctance to draw the hearses containing their wretched bodies to the grave. Strange stories, too, are related of a certain large black cat belonging to the club. It was always served first at dinner, and a word lightly spoken of it was considered a deadly insult, only to be washed out by the blood of the offender.

This probably explains the old Irish proverb I use as a signature in a different whisky forum.

An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

What butter and Whiskey cannot cure, there is no cure for.

God bless the Hell Fire clubs .... any takers for setting up a new order :twisted:

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Joycenglish/vocab2.htm

Scolsheen or scalteen; made by boiling a mixture of whiskey, water, sugar, butter and pepper (or caraway seeds) in a pot: a sovereign cure for a cold. In the old mail-car days there was an inn on the road from Killarney to Mallow, famous for scolsheen, where a big pot of it was always kept ready for travellers. (Kinahan and Kane.) Sometimes the word scalteen was applied to unmixed whiskey burned, and used for the same purpose. From the Irish scall, burn, singe, scald.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Scalteen

Postby John » Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 am

Where on earth do you find this stuff Adrian :lol:
Where is Iain by the way, this sounds like a home-blend that could knock your socks off!!
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 17, 2010 2:34 pm

John wrote:Where on earth do you find this stuff Adrian :lol:
Where is Iain by the way, this sounds like a home-blend that could knock your socks off!!
J.

Usually when I've nothing better to be doing at 3am in the morning feeding the young fella :roll:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Sounds to me like a whiskey version of a flaming sumbuca, with some extra crap added.

Unless they actually did boil it in which case it would have burned off at least some of the alcohol leaving something that might seem impressive to drink but could be quite low in alcohol. Buttery water or something like that.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I want one.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:45 pm

I would be happy to sell you some low stength buttery spirit at a reasonable price!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 pm

I've seen a few recipes online following reading this thread, and most of them follow Myrtle and Darina Allen's lead in adding milk.
IE it becomes a milk toddy with added butter, nutmeg, etc.
Dunno if that's particularly authentic though.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 pm

The allens put a pound of butter in everything they cook. That's why it's sooo good. Their chicken liver pate is at least 50% butter. Try taking a pound of butter, pour some whiskey over, and set it on fire. Though maybe not in a crowded pub. Or on a bus.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Thu May 20, 2010 12:01 am

Saw Darina adding about half a pound of butter to some boiled asparagus once.
The plate was swimming about an inch deep in melted butter. The other half was appalled, then doubly so when she saw me drooling like mad!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Whiskey