NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Glenfarclas

Let's talk whiskey.

Glenfarclas

Postby varizoltan » Tue May 11, 2010 11:47 am

I have tried my first Glenfarclas 105, at Michael S's house tasting last year and loved it, and went back to Hungary and bought a bottle at the whisky shop there, who is the distributor

this April i was finally got home a bit late because of volcano... for the first Hungarian whisky show and sit in to 2 Glenfarclas tasting, where the marketing executive Ian A. Mc William presented the whiskys

At the first course we tasted 12, 15, 21, 30 years old and the 105, with my winner of the 15 years old

At the second tasting (cask strength only :-) we had new spirit (67%), 12 years old refill bourbon (59.2%), 8 years old sherry cask (59%) the 105 again (60%), and a family cask 1969-2009 sherry cask #3188(55.6%), with my winner 105

i really like them all, there is little peat in them (1-2 ppm) what you not get in the taste at all, sherry is dominant in all them, and an important role, they have no finish whiskys, they say "make the whisky right the first time"

i have looked around here and you can not find a bottle in a shop, and there is no distributor for them, which i think it is a pretty, because it is a lovely whisky

is there anyone else like Glenfarclas in Ireland?

which one you like and why?

and where are you getting your bottles from?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Re: Glenfarclas

Postby jcskinner » Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Leo was kind enough to treat me to a Glenfarclas last year, and I was very taken by it. Wonderfully sherried, the way I like it!
I have a Cadenhead bottling open at the moment, which oddly enough is unsherried. It's quite fascinating.
Any Glenfarclas I've picked up, I've got from outside Ireland, sadly.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Re: Glenfarclas

Postby IainB » Tue May 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I've seen it in oddbins here, and the celtic whiskey shop. Don't know if either have it right now though.
IainB
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey