NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Bourbon

Let's talk whiskey.

Bourbon

Postby brettie vedder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:01 pm

are there any good places to get bourbons/american whiskey around galway? always lean towards bourbons in the warmer months for some reason. sadly, i never really see anything other than jim beam white and jack daniels. has anyone ever seen buffalo trace, makers mark, woodford reserve or knob creek around?
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: Bourbon

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Brett I have actually seen a bottle of Buffalo Trace in the Bunch of Grapes a small pup beside Sonny's bar on Main Street (Shop Street) on the Neachtains side. Other than that I don't see much else than the other main stays you metioned.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:41 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Hi Brett I have actually seen a bottle of Buffalo Trace in the Bunch of Grapes a small pup beside Sonny's bar on Main Street (Shop Street) on the Neachtains side. Other than that I don't see much else than the other main stays you metioned.

interesting. never would have thought bunch of grapes would carry buffalo trace. i always thought that was a wine bar.

jim beam white $11.99 in america....€24.99 in roscommon....OUCH. i needed some bourbon for the masters and kentucky derby so i had to bend over on that one
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm

As it happens, I'm employed in the live sports TV industry, specifically horse racing. I've worked the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, and the other big race events, and I got a few years ago, from the TV crew at Churchill Downs, the OFFICIAL Kentucky Derby Mint Julep recipe:

Bring two cups of water and one cup white sugar to a boil, stirring lightly, lower heat to simmer, and keep stirring until sugar water begins to turn amber. Let cool to room temperature, then pour into a quart jar. When cool, add clean mint leaves until the jar is filled loosely with the mint, stir and crush the leaves in the jar, cover, and place in refrigerator overnight, better 24 hours.

Take a julep glass (similar to a pilsner-style glass), fill with crushed ice, pour in two ounces of bourbon, then fill with sugar-mint-water mixture. Stir lightly, add mint leaf sprig as garnish.

Enjoy with care. Warning: two ounces of bourbon and lots of sugar! Delicious, but devious.

Note: This recipe can be a tad sweet for some, so add a drop or two of lemon juice to tone down the sweetness.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

There's very few places in Ireland with more than JD and Jim Beam as far as I can tell. You come across the odd Wild Turkey or Makers Mark. I tend to just buy the stuff on line.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Mothrae » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 pm

I forgot to include in the above recipe, that you have to strain the mint leaves from the sugar-water potion before serving.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Return to Whiskey