NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Porterhouse Beer & Whiskey Festival.

Let's talk whiskey.

Porterhouse Beer & Whiskey Festival.

Postby John » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi all,

Did anyone manage to get to the Porterhouse's 7th Independent Beer and Whiskey Festival which ran from the 25th March to the 04th April?

Unfortunately I only found out about it after it had finished so didn't make it; I don't remember actually seeing a lot of advertising about it. I would be interested to know what was showcased, etc.

Cheers,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: Porterhouse Beer & Whiskey Festival.

Postby DavidH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:08 pm

You didn't miss any whiskey, anyway. They had a "whiskey of the day" which you could purchase for... the normal price. They also had a neat little tasting tray from Cooley that contained samples of Connemara, Kilbeggan, Tyrconnell and Greenore. That might not be limited to the festival, I don't know. It's a good idea, anyway.

No, it was more of a beer festival, though I can't say what happened in that area as I'm not much for the beer.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Liam Murray » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I must confess that I visiited the Parliament Street branch of the Porterhouse on the day of the Pot Still tasting. I have to do this every so often for the shop. ;) Anyway I tried the Mollys Chocolate Stout first. No head no it at all but on closing the eyes and tasting the result was not so bad but I would'nt go mad on it. A bit thin on the palate but the chocolate influence was there. Next up was the Carlow Brewing Co. O'hara's Easter Stout. Fantastic big chocolate hit no bitterness. Finally to the Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout, to die for and has the truffle hit for sure. Great stuff and made for whiskey. Regards from Kilkenny. Liam
Liam Murray
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Sounds very interesting ... would love to have tried them. I've had a few different chocolate beers and one thing I find about them no matter how good they are none have been something you could have 3 or 4 pints.

Have a nice selection of beers for the weekend from my local offie 8-) FInally got in some Curim Gold by the Carlow Brewing Company ... this stuff is hard to find in my neck of the woods so delighted to snap some up. A nice refreshing beer but much lighter than I remember. Lovely malty aroma of it though.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby truecrippler » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Chocolate Stout can be nice, I tried some last year in the Porter House, hosting another beer festival. It was nice but couldn't see myself drinking many of them as they're very filling and quite rich in taste.

Curim is nice but not what I expected from a blonde beer. I was expecting something along the lines of Leffe or Franzikaner with a stouty aftertaste but it was fairly wheaty; but was worth trying and would try it again. I got it on tap though so would like to try it bottled.
truecrippler
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 pm

was there any info on this festival about their Dingle distillery, or Dingle whiskey tasting?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 pm

No, no mention at all. The press launch was the same night as the Barry Crockett tasting. I would have gone to that otherwise.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey