NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whisky Mag World Whisky Awards

Let's talk whiskey.

Whisky Mag World Whisky Awards

Postby JohnM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 am

Redbreast won the best Irish blend 12 yrs and under.

"Blend".
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Whisky Mag World Whisky Awards

Postby John » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 am

:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol:
Ya gotta laugh! Did you point out the error of their ways John?!
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 am

I stuck a small comment on the website, John.

The thing is, some people use the word "blend" like a patronising pat on the back. I wouldn't care if it was a blend, as long as it tastes good. But it's not a blend.

I understand, though, that it may be difficult to categorise in such competitions, but it's just not a blend.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

I know what you mean, but unless someone points out the weakness of their grading system the old 'PPS' will never get a foothold - nor will its unique identity be preserved. In fairness though in any competition you need just that - competition, and unfortunately there is practically none out there :| . I'm still surprised though that an eminent publication like that would fail to recognise the difference. :evil:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby John » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Can someone explain this to me :?

The Whisky Magazine World Whisky Awards 2010 winners are:

World’s Best Blended Whisky
Hibiki 21 Years Old

&

BLENDED MALT WHISKY
Best Non-Scotch blended malt 21 years and over
~ Taketsuru 21 Years Old

I think this lot are getting tied up in their own underpants - they're loosing track of who is winning what awards!! :lol:

John.
John
Hogshead

Postby Michael Foggarty » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I think theyve changed the web page as regard to Redbreast

John wrote:Can someone explain this to me :?

Hibiki 21 Years Old

&

BLENDED MALT WHISKY
~ Taketsuru 21 Years Old

I think this lot are getting tied up in their own underpants - they're loosing track of who is winning what awards!! :lol:

John.

These are two different cattagories, Hibiki has grain whisky in it, Taketsuru doesnt
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:01 pm

John wrote:Can someone explain this to me :?

Hibiki 21 Years Old

&

BLENDED MALT WHISKY
~ Taketsuru 21 Years Old

John.

AS Michael says they are actually 2 distinct categories and Blended Malts are held in higher esteeme to the Malt Connoisseurs (rightly or wrongly).

Most people associate blends with Malt whisk(e)y (or PPS) being blended with grain whisk(e)y. Grain is usually younger, lighter and sweeter and can actually be a benifit but is more often than not used as a filler to make cheaper whiskey. Also a lot of cheap blends can have up to the high 90's in % content of grain whiskey.
However the blend should not be sniffed at. There is a huge market for blends as they are not as strong tasting as Malts. Circa 85-90% of all scotch sold in the world is Blended whisky ... conversly it comes across that 85-90% of all talk about scotch is in regards to single malts :roll:

A Malt blend is a selection of different malts blended together to give a blended malt. Also know as "all malt" or "pure malt". No grain is present but it cannot be called a single malt as it does not come from a single distillery.

I've had Hibiki 17yo which I though was really yummy and really benifited from the grain. Johnny Walker Green is a blended Malt with Talisker as one of it's main constituents. The Red Black and Gold are blends with grain (not sure about blue).
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up guys :thumbsup:
Cheers,
J.
John
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey