NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Bad news

Let's talk whiskey.

Bad news

Postby JohnM » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Cooley might be making a whiskey for Liverpool FC

Shot of Liverpool FC, anyone?

RUGBY IS more John Teeling’s sport than soccer but he’s not one to turn down a business opportunity, which is why his Cooley spirits company has pitched to provide Liverpool football club with an own-label whiskey.

Talks are said to be at an “early stage” with the debt-laden Merseyside club, which hasn’t won the English league title since 1990.

Cooley is no stranger to own- brand whiskey, producing a spirit for the University of Notre Dame in the past. It also provides products for a number of big supermarket groups, including Dunnes Stores, Tesco, France’s Carrefour and German discounters Aldi and Lidl.

Cooley was recently named as Distiller of the Year by John Hansell of Malt Advocate magazine, a leading voice on whiskey in the United States, where sales of Irish whiskey have exploded in recent years. It’s not clear what tipple Liverpool’s US owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, enjoy but, given the way Liverpool have performed this season, a shot or two of whiskey from the Cooley mountains might help numb the pain.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Bad news

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:30 pm

I thought they made one for Celtic football club about 10years ago also.

Man Utd already had various botttles of whisky labeled for them but as you may have guessed by the spelling it is of the scotch variety.

Luckily I don't collect any more or I'd loath to have to buy a Pool whiskey :thumbsdown: but I know one collector not a million miles away from here who'll be very very happy ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Sign me up!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Luke Gough » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:04 pm

JC, re specialty bottlings did you track down the distiller of the Battle of the Boyne Commemoration Orange Single Malt Ken gave you?
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby jcskinner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:34 pm

I've a query in with Schomberg House about it, although the person I spoke to suspected it might not have happened with the OO's formal permission.
There's nothing on the web (that I can see) about it. But I'll call the OO again and see if I can get someone to do a bit of research into it.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Whiskey