NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Laphroiag Updates....

Let's talk whiskey.

Laphroiag Updates....

Postby Cosmic.... » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 am

I'm sure I am not the only friend of Laphroaig on here....

but figured i would post up the info from the april mailing.

there was also something about new t-shirts, Laphroaig Cheese and a new museum, but below I have just put in the good stuff......

Laphroaig 18 year old

This is a fantastic new expression that is replacing our venerable 15 Year Old. It is not without shedding a tear or two that I wave goodbye to our multi award winning "15". I have been to our warehouse in Glasgow and retrieved the last 65 bottles. For the collectors amongst you I have made 30 available for "Friends" on a first come first served basis.

But frankly the new "18" has a flavour to behold. Not only has it enjoyed the extra 3years sleep, we have bottled it at the higher strength of 48% ABV and thus avoided the chill filtering process. It is absolutely delicious and I hope to have some of the first bottling available for you in a month or two.

Triple Wood

As you can imagine I have had many requests for this new expression. I am afraid that the first bottling was designated for duty free in the one litre size. However the second bottling will occur in late summer and I will make Triple Wood available for you just as soon as I can.

Single Batch 10 year old cask strength

Those who saw my Christmas broadcast will have heard about the change. Rather than trying to match each batch that is bottled we are going to let each bottling "live" as an individual in its own right. This is I think the more natural way as each batch is effectively bottled straight from the barrel. This means each bottling will vary but that is all part of single malts. Edition No1 will be bottled shortly and again I hope to make some available to you.

Sláinte,

John Campbell
Cosmic....
New Spirit

Re: Laphroiag Updates....

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Okay got my grubby hands on the 18yo after long last. Thanks to the WhiskeyBro who sourced me one from Ally and delivered it to the door :thumbsup:

Anyway was really looking forward to it and opened it on arrival :)

I had no expectation on this and decided to read very little about so as not to create any prejudices in mind before tasting ;) Well it did not disappoint either but not what I was expecting, don't really know what I was expecting actually.

It had much more bite than I expected for an 18yo Islay. The 15yo & 30yo had made me think a smoothing out of the iodine & smoke with age. However the 18 (and possibly due to the 48%) seemed more intense than the 15yo which is a really smoothie to me.

Nose: A good waft of smoke and plenty iodine, sea air, dried seaweed etc all layered with vanilla and chocolate toffees
Taste: a sweet yet acrid iodine, pure almond essence and plenty of toffee sweetness
Finish: did not note the finish :oops:

Really need to have another go at this but I really like it. However I cannot say it is any better or worse than the 15yo as I really like the 15yo too. For me these are 2 very different whiskies for different moods. And another Laphroaig I have to add to my ever expanding must haves ;)

MyLaphroaigs.JPG
MyLaphroaigs
MyLaphroaigs.JPG (84.06 KiB) Viewed 686 times
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Luke Gough » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:29 pm

As I mentioned to [shouted at] you the other night, I think Laphroiag 18 YO is an absolute cracker!

Good to hear you got a taste at last!

L.

UPDATE: I forgot to add - the finish (to my jaded palate) is suprisingly smooth with a little phenolic "spike" at the end.
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby WilliesWineblog » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 am

As someone who got a present of a 15yo a couple of years ago and loved I'm really disappointed to hear that it is no more. Is the 18yo available at all over here?
WilliesWineblog
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 am

You'll only find it in the Celtic Whiskey Shop afaik c. €80....
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Well another Friends Of Laphroaig update...

This years 2010 FEIS ILE CAIRDEAS (MASTER EDITION) is out and available in the FOL shop. Called the master edition as the Master Distiller picked it this year. Bottled at 57.3% cask strength, it's a blend of 50% 11 Year Old Laphroaig matured in Hogshead barrels and 50% a mixture of 15,17 and 19 Year Old Laphroaig's that have been matured in first fill Bourbon barrels.

£45 each

Maximum order of 3 which I have done 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey