NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Longrow Gaja barolo

Let's talk whiskey.

Longrow Gaja barolo

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Sounds like a mouth of marbles but I was keen to get my hands on this.

Ever since my trip to Springbank enroute to Islay in October 2007 these barrels had stuck out in my mind. I reckon it was purely down to seeing the casks in the warehouse. They stood out a mile as they were very pale (white) oak and really beautifully made. You could of nearly used them as flooring they appeared so clean but it would be a nuisance to have to walk over a hump in your flooring all the time :P

Anyway this is only a 7yo and a Longrow which in essence means it is a peated Springbank.

What an interesting whiskey

A beautiful light diluted Brown chestnut colour

I could see the nose putting people off this whiskey as it is really strange at first.

There is a real earthiness to this, kinda Lagavulin like, and heavy raw malt. I thought it was quite spirity at first but this seems to subside. Ripe fruits and plasticine & wax and some other heavy aromas I can't put my finger on at the moment. There is a heaviness to the nose the components of which don't seem to tie together.

The taste however is rewarding and quite springbankish (ginger) but I just totally forgot to take any further notes :oops: I'll post back again tomorrow.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey