NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Irish drinks industry 'could shed 9,000 jobs'

Let's talk whiskey.

Irish drinks industry 'could shed 9,000 jobs'

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Spotted a couple of articles in breakingnews.ie & finfacts

Up to 9,000 jobs will be lost from pubs and off-licences this year because of plummeting alcohol sales, the drinks industry claimed today.

Trade representatives said last year was their worst in a quarter of a century because of the economic slump and increased cross-border shopping.

read the full report here

another report states 2008 has been the worst performing year for the drinks industry in Ireland

read full report here

What annoys me is that everybody cries for the Government to do something ..... what about lobbying the drinks industry to drop their prices all through retail, wholesale and the Manufacturing Industry. For instance it is obvious that the price of the Pint is hugely inflated in comparison to off-licence prices. However Whiskey is priced very high in Ireland even before VAT & Duty are added .... just a quick look at regular whiskey up the north or prices in the US and some European countries for the likes of Irishman Cask Strength, Jameson Gold, 18yo and Rarest can attest to that and this appears to be set by the Manufactures pricing.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Irish drinks industry 'could shed 9,000 jobs'

Postby JohnM » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Unfortunately the country is drinking itself into oblivion despite the high price of alcohol. I think that's one reason for the high price of alcohol. A shame for responsible drinkers.

And while it might be true that 9,000 jobs will go, I wouldn't believe the figures published by the industry. It's in their interest to say they need a helping hand. Like yer man Dunne who wants to build those towers in Ballsbridge... he says he'll create 5,000 jobs, but nobody knows where he got those figures. And if it was the case, he'd be taking those jobs from different areas of the city.

I don't really know what I'm talking about.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Irish drinks industry 'could shed 9,000 jobs'

Postby butephoto » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:10 am

It's the same everywhere. Diageo are shedding jobs.

I really hope the prices come down, though. Or at least stop going up the way they are.
butephoto
New Spirit

Return to Whiskey