NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Locke's 8yo

Let's talk whiskey.

Locke's 8yo

Postby IainB » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:17 am

I'm curious to know what others make of this. I bought a bottle about 4 years ago, had one measure, wasn't mad on it and didn't touch it again until about a month ago. I don't know why I tried it again but I really liked it. It's been a semi regular drink over the last few weeks.

It's a bit of an odd one out in the cooley malts range - there's many different tyrconnell and connemara expressions with a core NAS bottling. This has just one - and with an age statement.

I know there's meant to be a little bit of peat in this compared to the tyrconnell but i get little, if any.

Anyway, I'm having one now so I thought I'd ask what y'all think.
IainB
Hogshead

Re: Locke's 8yo

Postby JohnM » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:16 am

I like it a lot and have a kind of sentemental attachment to it from years and years ago - it was one of the first Cooleys I bought. I haven't had it in a long time, though. I'll have to pick up a bottle. I've had the Michael Collins recently, which is a similar formula, and like that one.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Luke Gough » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Terrific with a pint!
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:51 pm

JohnM wrote:I like it a lot and have a kind of sentemental attachment to it from years and years ago - it was one of the first Cooleys I bought.

Snap ... Me too which I think was just an unaged version first then they built up 8 years and stuck the 8yo tag on it from then on.

I currently hav a bottle open and find it a lovely malt with just a touch of peat which I don't always get as it depends on form I think.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:35 pm

When you say the aged versions are you talking about the original limited releases of 1000 and 5000 bottles. I was never sure if the were the same make up as the 8yo.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

IainB wrote:When you say the aged versions are you talking about the original limited releases of 1000 and 5000 bottles. I was never sure if the were the same make up as the 8yo.

No Iain, I'm talking about the first the release of this expression which had the same label style

Which was the predecessor to the current 8yo Lockes
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I don't recall ever seeing that bottling.

Do you know if the limited editions were of a similar make up or were they more closely related to Tyrconnell?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

IainB wrote:I don't recall ever seeing that bottling.

Do you know if the limited editions were of a similar make up or were they more closely related to Tyrconnell?

I guessing the Locke's Limited Editions 1000 bottle release is of similar make to the Locke's 8yo as there was a Limited Edition of the Tyrconnell released too.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm

That's the one I had - twas drank a long time ago. You're probably right - I'd forgotten there was a limited edition Tyrconnell.
IainB
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey