NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

collectable whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

collectable whiskey

Postby magoo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:47 pm

have middleton 25,26 and 30yr old released in 1999 for the 175yr celebration just interested to know their value.new to this forum.bought the lockes grand crew anything else worth buying/collecting?
magoo
New Spirit

Re: collectable whiskey

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi there welcome to the forum...

The 1999 Midleton series are quite valuable, the RRP of the 25 yo is €1,000, 26 yo €1,200-1,600 30 yo €1,250-1,750.

However collector prices are around €650, €900 & €1,200 respectively as if you sell to a retailer he will give you 30-40% less than RRP due to having to charge VAT when he resells them...

Others may disagree... however I would mention that values are falling as with all things to do with the recession the market is weaker.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby magoo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:07 pm

thanks for the reply think i will hold onto them until recession is a memory.they still increased since i bought them and hope they stay that way.what else is worth buying at the moment.
magoo
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:29 pm

It really depends on your budget but personally I would recommend having a look in the Celtic Whiskey Shop, they have a few interesting single casks at the moment...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:59 am

magoo wrote:thanks for the reply think i will hold onto them until recession is a memory.they still increased since i bought them and hope they stay that way.what else is worth buying at the moment.

Just a few words of advise ... The Irish whiskey market is in no way connected to the Scotch whisky market in the way prices keep escalate so I would not count on them rising any further than the lower values mentioned above. I personally think even those prices are a bit bullish and a 50% return on your original out lay maybe closer to the mark. So if you got offered anything close to the second two prices I'd snap their hands off.

Don't get me wrong these are amazing whiskies but are out rageously overly priced and IDL have turned them into aspirational bottles. Further, collectors will know the original price of these and may not be willing to pay over the odds for the priviledge. It will all depend on how Irish progresses as a key whiskey segment in the next 5 years. We have seen double digit growth year on year for a good few years now however this has done little to generate a tangible collectors market as of yet. It is all guess work so Keep the fingers crossed but be realistic too.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi Magoo,
So did you add anything to the collection over the holidays?
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey