NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 am

i was recently given a 70cl bottle of this as a gift. i have to say, i am extremely disappointed. i poured myself a glass last night with a few drops of water. it smells of formaldehyde and the taste made me dry heave. i am not exaggerating at all. it was the first time i had a whiskey i could not drink. i had to dump it down the drain and im thinking of dumping the entire bottle down the drain as i will not be touching this stuff again. i actually felt nauseous all night after drinking it. i just got done emailing kilbeggan to let them know. maybe it was a bad batch???? has anyone else ever had this stuff? im interested to see what other people have to say. maybe kilbeggan will feel bad and toss me over a 15yo bottle as a gift, LOL. one can only hope. i just opened the bottle again to smell it and honestly, reminds me of when i had to dissect a frog and crayfish in school. BLAAAAAAAAAAA
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: kilbeggan irish whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 pm

That is really strange all right B.V. Especially when you enjoyed Laphroaig :shock:

I always considered Kilbeggan as a light whiskey not my cup of tea but inofensive.

I think I have some somewhere I'll send you a sample to compare. If they are different than you have a dud.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:That is really strange all right B.V. Especially when you enjoyed Laphroaig :shock:

I always considered Kilbeggan as a light whiskey not my cup of tea but inofensive.

I think I have some somewhere I'll send you a sample to compare. If they are different than you have a dud.

this HAS to be a dud. i wasnt expecting anything amazing with this, but i was expecting a nice light and smooth whiskey. this was pretty hard to drink. and as my wife will tell you, i will eat/drink pretty much anything out there, lol. im expecting to find a dead frog in the bottom...like a worm in tequila, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:42 pm

wow, that is strange

kilbeggan is not the best irish whiskey, but better than that for sure,
i have a bottle at home and use it for irish coffee and everyone loves it

but who the hell would make a fake of kilbeggan?
it is not that expensive to worth doing it.

are you sure whoever gave you this is not messing with you?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:57 pm

varizoltan wrote:wow, that is strange

kilbeggan is not the best irish whiskey, but better than that for sure,
i have a bottle at home and use it for irish coffee and everyone loves it

but who the hell would make a fake of kilbeggan?
it is not that expensive to worth doing it.

are you sure whoever gave you this is not messing with you?

no, it def. wasnt a joke. it was an unopened bottle of whiskey and the person wouldnt do something like that. like i said, ive never had a bad irish whiskey. this is undrinkable. i got in touch with a rep. from kilbeggan and he is coming out to collect the bottle for analysis. i didnt expect all this, i just wanted to tell him i think i got a dud. he also said i should expect to hear back from the blender, noel sweeney. this should be entertaining, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:04 pm

that is good news, keep us posted how you getting on :thumbsup:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:17 pm

varizoltan wrote:that is good news, keep us posted how you getting on :thumbsup:

will do :D
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:33 pm

any news :?:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:44 pm

varizoltan wrote:any news :?:

i received 2 emails from a kilbeggan rep and 1 from noel sweeney. basically they were your typical corporate nonsense emails claiming that customers are important, bla bla bla. but the rep is either sending me a box to post the bottle to them or coming in person to pick it up. he said they will test the bottle and get back to me. it will be embarrassing if there is nothing wrong with it, lol.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:35 pm

brettie vedder wrote:

i received 2 emails from a kilbeggan rep and 1 from noel sweeney. basically they were your typical corporate nonsense emails claiming that customers are important, bla bla bla. but the rep is either sending me a box to post the bottle to them or coming in person to pick it up. he said they will test the bottle and get back to me. it will be embarrassing if there is nothing wrong with it, lol.

I'll bring you a sample on Tuesday from my bottle and you can decide then :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:42 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:

I'll bring you a sample on Tuesday from my bottle and you can decide then :thumbsup:

haha, cheers for that. did you reserve your spot yet? i called today got my spot. im pretty pumped up for it. im assuming one of the 4 samples will be the 16yo or 21yo? i sure hope so :mrgreen:
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 pm

OK, so got an update on the kilbeggan issue. doesnt quite solve the problem at hand, but no complaints here. courier came to the house today to drop off a new bottle and collect the old one. i opened up the box to find a bottle of tyrconnell 10yo single malt sherry cask. no letter or anything. its obviously a better bottle, so i cant complain, but i do not know if my bottle of kilbeggan was a dud or not! i guess i know what ill be tipping back later. i was actually going to pick up a bottle of tyrconnell up the north. glad i didnt :) maybe they got mixed up on what i bought. i told them numerous times it was standard kilbeggan. haha
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 am

brettie vedder wrote:OK, so got an update on the kilbeggan issue. doesnt quite solve the problem at hand, but no complaints here. courier came to the house today to drop off a new bottle and collect the old one. i opened up the box to find a bottle of tyrconnell 10yo single malt sherry cask. no letter or anything. its obviously a better bottle, so i cant complain, but i do not know if my bottle of kilbeggan was a dud or not! i guess i know what ill be tipping back later. i was actually going to pick up a bottle of tyrconnell up the north. glad i didnt :) maybe they got mixed up on what i bought. i told them numerous times it was standard kilbeggan. haha

you better drink that quick, before they find it out :lol:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:54 am

varizoltan wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:OK, so got an update on the kilbeggan issue. doesnt quite solve the problem at hand, but no complaints here. courier came to the house today to drop off a new bottle and collect the old one. i opened up the box to find a bottle of tyrconnell 10yo single malt sherry cask. no letter or anything. its obviously a better bottle, so i cant complain, but i do not know if my bottle of kilbeggan was a dud or not! i guess i know what ill be tipping back later. i was actually going to pick up a bottle of tyrconnell up the north. glad i didnt :) maybe they got mixed up on what i bought. i told them numerous times it was standard kilbeggan. haha

you better drink that quick, before they find it out :lol:

already tore into it last night. good stuff. reminds me a lot of redbreast 12yo for some reason
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 pm

A bit of a result all right Brett ... but as you say it does not answer you problem. It would be good to know what they thought. Keep after them and see what comes of it. Next mail to them thank them for the bottle but say you really would like to know if there was anything wrong with the bottle as your a whiskey enthusiast ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:A bit of a result all right Brett ... but as you say it does not answer you problem. It would be good to know what they thought. Keep after them and see what comes of it. Next mail to them thank them for the bottle but say you really would like to know if there was anything wrong with the bottle as your a whiskey enthusiast ;)

i actually emailed them today to say just that. i hate to sound like im complaining, since i got a great bottle of whiskey out of the deal. but as you said, it doesnt answer the problem. we will see what they say. it would be nice if i got a free 70cl bottle of kilbeggan out of it too. i hope they dont ask for the tyrconnell back. they will have to pry it from my vulcan death grip, HAHAHA
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:29 pm

I suppose it is a bad time of year for them to be getting back to you. I can imagine that they are up the walls. A gentle remind in the new year maybe required ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:35 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I suppose it is a bad time of year for them to be getting back to you. I can imagine that they are up the walls. A gentle remind in the new year maybe required ;)

yea, ill give them some time to rest now. gentle reminder to come in a couple weeks ;)
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey