NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Jameson The "Jubilee" Whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

Jameson The "Jubilee" Whiskey

Postby neady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm

I have been given a bottle of John Jameson & Sons Twenty Year Old Whiskey The "Jubilee" Whiskey with Woodford Bourne & Co also mentioned on the label that is at least 30 years old. I have been given it as a prize for a school raffle and was wondering what is the value of this bottle.

Neady
neady
New Spirit

Re: Jameson The "Jubliee" Whiskey

Postby JohnM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Yes! I'd say it is quite valuable. You could contact the Celtic Whiskey Shop about it.

It would be useful to post pictures of it if you have any.

Let me know if you're interested in selling it...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:47 pm

looks interesting

a friend of mine wanted to give me a jameson, and it said on the lable "roadstone", it was a christmas present for workers some year ago, but he did not found it
bad luck for me :twisted:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Neady sent me the pictures to post. I've seen the label for this before, but never a bottle of it.
Attachments
Label.JPG
Label.JPG (42.42 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
Bottle.JPG
Bottle.JPG (39.64 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:16 pm

It is a lovely bottle and just the kind of thing I'd like to get my hands on, but I'd say it's out of my range.

I don't mean to be laying down a marker or anything with my interest, so hopefully others will pitch in.

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Here's a photo of Woodford, Bourne & Co. It doesn't help establish a date, I'm afraid, but it's interesting.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Jameson The "Lovely-Jubliee" Whiskey!

Postby John » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Sorry JohnM, couldn't resist! :D
Don't suppose the seller knows exactly what Jubilee was celebrated as marked on the bottle?
Btw, very nice prize to win in a raffle!!!
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Potstill.de has an image of this label, but no further details.
Clearly a special one-off bottling for the Cork-based bottler. God only knows when, though. Betty the second's silver jubilee was 1977 and golden in 2002, but I doubt it would be commemorating either of those events.
I'm stumped, but clearly it's not recent, and is likely a 20 yo bottling from Bow Street, which would make it a) pretty valuable, and b) of interest to collectors with deep pockets.
I doubt there are many sealed bottles like this still floating about. Nice gift!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:28 pm

A Cork business/bar/hotel might be interested in this either - if any of them have any money left. The one on Fota Island has some fantastic whiskey displayed.

I don't know if they buy things, but the Midleton Distillery might also be interested.

Anyway, it's a beautiful bottle and a very interesting one too. An excellent prize.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:34 pm

I wonder might it be in commemoration of the golden jubilee of the Easter Rising, which was quite a big deal back in 1966?
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Let me see if I understand this right: you were given this as a prize for a school raffle, and the raffle hasn't been held yet?

In which case, can we buy tickets?
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 pm

This could be a seriously old bottle. Can get a picture of the capsule. i.e. top of the bottle.

If it is what I think it is .... this is a 1000Euro plus bottle easily.

I think there may be a few in Bow Street on display too. I have pictures some where just need to dig them out.

My only issue is that this bottle looks too clean and new.

I do not think that any of the Southern Distilleries would of released bottles for either of the current Queens Jubliee.

However I do know they did release a bottle for a certain Jubliee and Bushmills also released a whiskey for the same event.

Are ye ready for this ....

It was QUeen Victoria's Diamond Jubliee.

That was back in 1897 :shock:

If this is one of those you have a 112 year old bottle.

However caution needs to be taken becasue as I said this really look too clean to be true.

Do you have any further information of where this came from. Can you go back and see who donated because this could be a seriously valuable bottle or it could be a hoax.

This is possibly a seriously exciting find lucky you :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:54 pm

I agree, Adrian, about the price.

I wonder if it was a jubilee of the bottler.

Wouldn't you think if it was a Queen's jubilee, they'd have that on the bottle?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby neady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi,

I have uploaded two photos of the top of the bottle. They are not very clear as the bottle is covered in it's original cellophane. The top is gold not shiny plastic with no writing on it. It was given to me by an aunt who got it as a present for doing a large favour in the late 1960's early 70's from a realtion who owned a bar in Ennis, it has been in a cupboard ever since.

Neady
Attachments
Top 02.JPG
Top 02.JPG (29.63 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Top 01.JPG
Top 01.JPG (41.04 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
neady
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Yes I maybe getting over excited but for some reason I think Jubilee used on it's as a description for a celebration is tended to be used as an important anniversary for the Brittish Royals and therefore Jubilee on it's own was enough to describe the event. Also as we were part of the empire back then all Irish Distilleries would of seen the importance of this and some would of released commemeration bottles. Bushmills just released a plain Jubilee whiskey too ... no mention of the queen. Maybe it was considered vulgar.

Here is the bottle from Bow Street which I think is not intact so basically worthless.

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 pm

OK, I have a theory... This merchant released a 20yo whiskey for Queen Vic's diamond jubilee. Thereafter, they called their 20yo expression the "Jubilee" whiskey. It's just a name on this bottle.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:17 pm

DavidH wrote:OK, I have a theory... This merchant released a 20yo whiskey for Queen Vic's diamond jubilee. Thereafter, they called their 20yo expression the "Jubilee" whiskey. It's just a name on this bottle.

Ahh you may have a point there .... Jubilee was in 1897 ... the whiskey casked that year could be released as Jubilee whiskey so making it no older than 1917. But as you say may have carried the name on for a while. However I don't like the Celofane on it. Not really a turn of the century wrapping method. Paper and hay I would of thought.

I think a mail should be dropped to IDL and I would reckon they will know for sure if they bother to reply

neady can you see if there are any markings or letters on the base of the bottle.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 pm

even if someone got it in late 60-s early 70-s as a prize, that celophan could not last 50 years for sure
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 pm

If neady can track this down with IDL (Midleton) it would be very interesting to know when it dates from.

I originally thought it was the QUeens Jubilee as Bushmills did a similar probuct and the bottle o display in Bow Street is quite old looking. However the bottle seems too clean to be 100+ years old.

However let that not disheaten you. This is a rare whiskey and very unusual for it to be an exceptionally old whiskey.

I still think it is quite a valuable bottle.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm inclined to agree that the bottle looks a lot younger than a century, but I still suspect it is a pretty valuable find.
I'd like to proffer again the suggestion that it might have been bottled in 1966, with the golden jubilee of 1916 in mind. Remember that the entire year was spent, at Dev's instigation, holding celebrations nationwide to mark 50 years since the Rising.
So in an Irish context, that's the most plausible jubilee, other than JohnM's suggestion that it was the bottler's own jubilee, that I can think of.
Also, the bottle condition and fonts on the label would seem to indicate something a lot younger than the 19th century.
But like I say, a valuable bottle nonetheless, whatever its actual age and provenance.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 pm

sittin on a cupboard for 40-50 years.... and nothing seen as wear or tear or dust on the wrapping, still shiny

got me thinking
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby neady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi,

It was given to my aunt in the late 60's early 70's which means it has been in a cupboard for 29 years. The bottling in 1966 would make sense to me given when it was received as a present.
Neady
neady
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:23 pm

if it is 70 than it is 39 years ago
am i right?

neady wrote:Hi,

It was given to my aunt in the late 60's early 70's which means it has been in a cupboard for 29 years. The bottling in 1966 would make sense to me given when it was received as a present.
Neady
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby neady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi,

Yes sorry you are right got my maths wrong !.

Neady
neady
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:45 pm

In 1869 Richard Sainthill of Maziere and Sainthill wine spirits and porter suppliers died leaving instruction that should be the business not be taken on by his heir and namesake his company should be sold to his friends Bourne and Nicholson which brought the wines and spirits concerns together, a commercial partnership that was to remain in place for over the next 100 years.

Records of the company’s wine imports since 1871 were meticulously kept in flowing longhand. Entries continued right up until the 1970’s giving an accurate idea of market trends throughout this time. In total the Woodford Bourne cellars would carry at any one time over 50,000 gallons of choice Cork and Dublin whiskeys, Scotch whiskies, fine French cognac, Jamaican rums and casks of wines sherries and ports all carrying the marks of the principal continental growers.

There is a book on the history of this company, I've seen one in a local bookshop, the book is €40, i'll sneak in for a peek and see what I can find out.

:geek: Irish Whiskey Society detectives at work :geek: :D
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Next

Return to Whiskey