NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Jameson The "Jubilee" Whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: Jameson The "Jubliee" Whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:59 pm

neady wrote:Hi,

It was given to my aunt in the late 60's early 70's which means it has been in a cupboard for 29 years. The bottling in 1966 would make sense to me given when it was received as a present.
Neady

JC has come up with a very interesting theory and in one way very possible however I find it a bit strange that they would remember the failed easter rising of 1916 with the term Jubilee unless of course that was the norm to call it that in those days. I suppose you can celebrate anything.

Just by style alone I would of thought that it was earlier but probably 20th century all right.

This is all very interesting and it would be great to get a difinitive answer.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby neady » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the interest shown. I am amazed by the level of knowledge everyone has. Its been really exciting reading all the posts and given that it's to raise funds for my childrens school I'm hopefull of a happy outcome.

neady
neady
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Let us know what your plans are for the bottle, I'm sure some of the whiskey guys would love to buy tickets for your charity raffle, if your selling keep us all posted...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 pm

my suggestion is to buy a Midleton very rare 2008 and give that for raffle, and sell this

the reason why;
if someone win this and have no idea what it is,then that it is a waiste,
but if someone won a Midleton, then they at least know what they got and happy with it, rather then do not know what they won and what to do with it, and sadly may drink it :o

but if you want to get the best price for it, get in touch with www.whiskyauction.com
they are the best auctioners for rare whiskeys like this, and you guaranteed for the best price, becouse all the collectors waching this site, and i am sure it will reach 1000 euros there easily

neady wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the interest shown. I am amazed by the level of knowledge everyone has. Its been really exciting reading all the posts and given that it's to raise funds for my childrens school I'm hopefull of a happy outcome.

neady
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 am

Hi Neady,

I would suggest you do not put this up for raffle.

If you are fine with giving this for the school you will realise more money from other avenues.

You should easily be able to sell this for a very decent sum to include something like a bottle or bottles of other premium whiskey in the deal.

I like JohnM and thee rest of us here :lol: would love to own this also but I know it is beyond my means currently.

If this is for school fund raising don't raffle it. People buying raffle tickets in general will not appreciate what you are raffling. ANd these sort of events tend to be captured audiences so you'll make your raffle sales anyway.

CHeck your PM's
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby neady » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Everyone,

I was just reading through the posts and Whiskey Chaser suggested that I check whether there were any markings on the bottom of the bottle. I have removed he cellophane wrapper and have discovered two new things. One there is a picture on the capulse that looks like a bunch of grapes and there is writing on the bottom that says Cork Distillers Ireland 67. Does this shed more light on it.

Neady
neady
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:56 am

Michael from the Celtic Whiskey Shop might know about bottle markings. Maybe 67 is the year? I have no idea, though.

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 am

Unfortunately the book I mentioned was no longer on the shelves. darn it...

I was discussing this with IrishWhiskeyChaser, and the following info might help narrow down the date range...

Both Bushmills & IDL introduced screw caps bottling lines in the late 60s and early 70s, so it must predate this (imo)

Secondly, it was not unusual for whisky labels at this time to remain unaltered for long periods (tradition generally prevailed over marketing) examples of labels that didn't change from the 30's to late 60's include the old Mitchells Greenspot 8yo label, John Jameson (not a drop is sold til 7yo) lasted until 1968, Redbreast label was largely unchanged from the 1920s to almost 1970, the Old Midleton 10yo & 15yo label lasted til 1971 and so on. So we can again surmise that we can only be sure that it predates 1970 or thereabouts.

The cellophane wrapping may or may not give us clues since it has only been manufactured continuously since the mid-1930s, if we assume it was in more widespread use in Ireland following WW11, and Cellophane sales have dwindled since the 1960s. This if accurate would narrow it down to say 1945 - 1969.

Finally the bottle itself, the glass seems to be bubble free, so we are definitely post 1920s in the machine manufactured bottle period, the shape also suggests 1930s+, as early bottles have a more bulbous or bell shaped neck. The 'CDC 67' may or may not relate to 1967.

Ok so to conclude, based on the above and your own anecdotal information, it is reasonable I believe to conclude that this bottle does indeed date from the mid-1960s, and being a 20 year old was distilled in the 1940s. I would also suggest that the term "Jubillee" is linked to the age of the whiskey rather than any event!
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: Jameson The "Jubilee" Whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Yes I tend to agree with that analysis above. Original excitement re the age has abated some what ;)

I was linking it with te Bushmills Whiskey of the same name but was probably a bit over exuberant in that regard.

However this is still a rare bottle of some value as I have never seen one ever. And the fact it is 20years old makes it more special than your average find from what ever period of the last 60 years.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Whiskey