NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Jameson Premiun Whiskeys Appreciation Evening

Let's talk whiskey.

Jameson Premiun Whiskeys Appreciation Evening

Postby varizoltan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi all,

i know it is a short notes but there is a good whiskey tasting at Donnybrook fair tonight 19th november,hosted by
Barry Crockett :thumbsup:

price is 45 each or 80 for 2

booking by phone 01-6683556, or email info@donnybrookfair.ie

and the good news for the end you can buy the premium range there for 10% less

i be there so may see yous there :thumbsup:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Re: Jameson Premiun Whiskeys Appreciation Evening

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Eventhough you can get it for 20% less in Tesco's at the moment :roll:

The event is also over priced and you are basically paying for the whiskey you taste.

I went to a Bushmills tasting in Galway which cost 15Euro which then entitled my 15Euro off any Bushmills whiskey.

So even if you bought a ticket and did not buy a bottle you still got value for money for 6 whiskies.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:21 pm

There is some added value from having the Master Distiller along but the price (and awkwardness of getting to Donnybrook) put me off.

I recall reading about similar tastings in the US where they cracked open a bottle of RVR too. That's a firm part of the Jameson marketing line-up (more so than Midleton) so why is it missing here?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm

they may keep that for the society tasting :thumbsup:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:05 am

Last Thursday night (19/11/09) in Donnybrook Fair, Barry Crockett presented a tutored tasting in what I can only describe as a master class. Barry has been the head distiller at Midleton since 1981. There is definitely a welcome air of glasnost at Midleton, and the lucky participants appreciated the level of detail provided.

By way of introduction he gave a description of the unique complexity of the Midleton distilling operation which currently distils 30 MLA per annum. He also outlined the warehousing operation which currently has 105 MLA maturing or over 700,000 casks. Maturation takes place primarily in Bourbon casks & Sherry butts; however they also use Port pipes and Madeira casks. More recently, in an exciting development, Marsala casks have been laid down, something that has happened in the past and is recorded in their archived ledgers. The planning involved to manage the continuity of their brands is incredible. By way of example Midleton laid down their 250th anniversary whiskey only a couple of days ago, if you want to try this whiskey, just hang around, it will be ready in time for 2030!

Midleton is supplied with most of its malted barley by the Malting Co. of Ireland and their maize comes from Southern France all of which is fully traceable. In making their various pot still styles they use a minimum of 30%+ malted barley and approximately 60% unmated barley (give or take a few %). The two main stills are extremely large, and at 17,500 gallons is roughly three times the size of your average Scottish still. Their spirit is distilled at a very high proof.

The tasting itself began with a nosing session, with compared and contrasted across the entire range from Crested 10 to Jameson 18. It was a fascinating exercise to discover some of the subtle differences (and some not so subtle) in the range. Some of the key notes that we nosed were: apple, pear, peach, cereal, muesli, honey, raisin, currant and rich fruit. We followed by tasting each whiskey in turn, and we again compared and contrasted the tastes, discussing the different mouth feels and the varying levels of dryness. Flavours experienced included: spicy, pepper, ginger, sultanas, raisins, apple, peach, melon, toffee, cedar wood, tannin and oakiness.
This is just an illustration of the flavour profiles that can be found across the premium range.
The tasting was rounded off with a tasting of the delicate, floral, smooth Midleton Very Rare 2008, selected every year from around 90 of the best first fill bourbon casks Midleton has to offer. The MVR was a graceful end to an extremely informative evening.

Thanks to Barry Crockett for sharing such a part of the obvious immense knowledge and passion he has for whiskey.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Luke Gough » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm

"Glasnost" is most welcome from IDL. Now, how about some "Perestroika"? :roll:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Luke Gough wrote:"Glasnost" is most welcome from IDL. Now, how about some "Perestroika"? :roll:

How about more realistic prices ... :x

Great to hear all that info though and yes there does seem to be a wind of change which is most welcome.

Keep it up IDL we won't bite ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Nice to see Barry visiting the capital and meeting the punters. Hopefully IDL will let him out a bit more often in future. I have no doubt that the society would only love to have him come and talk us through the IDL range next year. Hopefully that will come to pass! :thumbsup:
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm

as i got a good contact with IDL it will come in the new year, but for now i can not say no more
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey