NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

A new Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve

Let's talk whiskey.

A new Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve

Postby JohnM » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 pm

A 2009 version to be relased, it says on the What Does John Know blog. I wonder what's in it this time, and what price it will be.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: A new Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve

Postby varizoltan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:27 pm

it will be double the price in Ireland than anywhere else, as we know
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 pm

I did a double take when I saw this thread :D

I am surprised that they are going to release another 'Rarest Vintage' so soon after the 2007. And to echo the point above, I sincerely hope that they have learned their pricing lesson from the last disaster. Nothing like the market cutting your price almost in half to underwhelm a brand. Pity, because it really is a tasty sup! :geek:

Any ideas what the new unique angle will be with this vintage? The '07 had the Port Pipe element - what will set this one apart I wonder? Or will it just be older & rarer? :?

Cheers,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:12 am

I would hope there would not be another slant on a new vintage. The taste should be different alright like a single cask but hopefully the same premise. No point going mickey mouse and doing something completly different in my opinion. They have a very structured and well balanced range(Pricing apart) and probably should not go messing around with it.

The pricing issue is really only an irish issue on their price points compared to the rest of the world.

I think we are seeing a pull back from this though with the numerous 10 - 20% off offers on IDL premium bottles (i.e. 12yo up). However they should stop messing arpound and just cut them back.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 am

The first 3 editions of JRVR (’07,’08,’09) were based on Port cask inclusion and are essentially the same. However, they are not all from one vatting. Each year, the product is bottled from a new vatting. Therefore, in some cases, some barrels included may vary slightly from the previous year.

The initial bottling in 2007 was a vatting taken from three individual parcels of casks.

The 2008 offering came from the same three parcels, therefore the final product was similar in style but effectively matured one year longer.

The 2009 offering used casks from two of the original parcels plus some casks which were one year younger than the original.

It is the case that each year’s vintage will be slightly different although based on a consistent JRVR style.

From HERE
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:53 am

Ok, this is news to me! There was also an '08 release of JRVR?? Where was that sold? Seriously, how rare can something be if there is going to be a new version of it sold every year! :lol:
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby John » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the '08 or '09 versus the original 2007 JRVR?
John.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Haven't even seen the 2008 or 2009 versions :?
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am

Me neither - is this a red herring?!! :D
Perhaps the differences were so small that they didn't warrant seperate 'launches'?! ;)
J.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 pm

John wrote:Me neither - is this a red herring?!! :D
Perhaps the differences were so small that they didn't warrant seperate 'launches'?! ;)
J.

You could be right ;)

Even though for the US price tag I can see this doing well over there and they probably sell the majority of these small batch's fairly quickly State side.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey