NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby IainB » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 pm

The Midleton Jameson reserve and the Bow st jameson reserve used to be very different whiskeys - ahs anyone tasted them both recently? I've a feeling they're not so different anymore.

I've always been a fan of the Midleton reserve, both the older and the newer bottling. There was a time in Midleton when you could get a sort of hexagonal 3 pack with one 700ml bottle each of the Midleton, Bow St and Bushmills distillery reserve. I wish now I'd kept it and not drank the lot. Give the subsequent sale of Bushmills it'd be a nice one to have. Actually, no, I just wish I'd bought an extra one - the whiskeys were all very enjoyable. Make that and extra 3!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 am

Having the last of a bottle of Greenore 15 here myself.
I have to say, I was never mad on it. I always preferred the 8 yo myself. But it's a fine snifter nonetheless, sweet and leathery, with plenty of bourbon qualities.
I think I remember Noel Sweeney admitting something similar at Whisky Live in Glasgow a few years ago. Anyhow, it's being replaced by the 18 yo, which should be an interesting dram. I wonder how the wood will have made a difference over the extra three years.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:25 am

Quinched a Kilbeggan 15yo ... all I can say to be honest is so so ... always pleasent for a first drink but a subsequest pour really dimishes for me.

However I did enjoy it and contary to what many think I love the the Bottle :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby PureDrop » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:28 am

A Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1993, 43% (finished in PX casks)
The perfect bedtime drop & good preparation for the October tasting viewtopic.php?f=37&t=896
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:10 am

Last night I finished off the last drop of an open Talisker 10. Then had an Ardmore Traditional cask.

Then attempted to create an Irish vatted malt from 4 distilleries, with mixed success. It worked much better with about 40% greenore 8, making it a blend of course.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 pm

Ben Nevis 25 Sherry Cask. Very good. YOu'd have to like sherry, though.
Earlier I had a Ardbeg 10, which was pretty nice.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 am

last night i had some Connemara 12
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Having another go at the Midleton 2009 and 2010 tonight.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:40 pm

IainB wrote:Having another go at the Midleton 2009 and 2010 tonight.

At least your presistent :thumbsup:

An Irishman Superior ... quite tasty ... plenty of zingy and spicey pps goodness.

Goes quite well wit O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale ... impressed with this IPA and is a bit like some of the America ales that are doing the rounds. Obviously hoppy but in a slightly fruity way.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Bowmore Enigma 12yo ... this seems to get a lot of negative reviews but I'm really enjoying it.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:30 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
IainB wrote:Having another go at the Midleton 2009 and 2010 tonight.

At least your presistent :thumbsup:

An Irishman Superior ... quite tasty ... plenty of zingy and spicey pps goodness.

Goes quite well wit O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale ... impressed with this IPA and is a bit like some of the America ales that are doing the rounds. Obviously hoppy but in a slightly fruity way.

I find one night not really enough to properly assess a whiskey. Any still prefer the 2008 - but then I went onto the Midleton single bourbon cask from last year - best by far.

After that for some reason went to JW Gold.

Tonight I'm having an Oban 14 - I've always liked this one but haven't had it in a while. Maybe not the most exciting malt in the world but I find it a nice easy drinking malt for a night in in front of the fire.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:38 pm

IainB wrote:I find one night not really enough to properly assess a whiskey....

Ya I'm usually the same myself and even sometimes you need to leave them a while a go back to them and your opinion changes again ....

IainB wrote:Tonight I'm having an Oban 14 - I've always liked this one but haven't had it in a while. Maybe not the most exciting malt in the world but I find it a nice easy drinking malt for a night in in front of the fire.

That's the way I am these days ... whiskey for relaxing :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Right now I'm having a Blue Moon, which is a "North American Craft Beer" and is "spiced with orange peel an coriander", along with a Tullabardine Sauternes finish. MMMmmmmmm.

Interesting combo - the beer is one of the more unusual beers that I've tried - there is a vague taste of orange and coriander which sounds strange but is very very drinkable and refreshing. The Tullibardine also has a very strong hint of orange on the taste and finish which, again, is unusual but veyr enjoyable. So the two are going down very nicely thank you.

That's all for tonight - it is only Thursday.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:04 am

Didn't that Guinness Breo have corriander and orange flavourings? Something did anyway. A wheat beer. I think it was from Guinness. Short lived.

I'm having a Jameson Gold. One of the old ones.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 am

And it really is very good.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 am

It's a while since i had one of the old ones - is it that different?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:23 am

I don't know, to be honest. It's a good while since I had the new one, although I have a bottle here I can open.

I have mixed it with some Jameson 15 and it's excellent. Excellent, but not sure it's better than Jameson 15 or Jameson Gold. Anyway, IDL, if you want me to send you my CV let me know.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby PureDrop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:50 am

JohnM wrote:Didn't that Guinness Breo have corriander and orange flavourings? Something did anyway. A wheat beer.

You're thnking of "Hoegaarden" - a "wit bier" - i.e. made from unmalted wheat with coriander and the zest of Curacao Orange - see http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/ ... -the-month When I was into the homebrew, my Hoegaarden clones had the perfect scent/nose, but sadly the mouthfeel was a tad off.

Breo wasn't far from that and was a favourite of mine for a while.
.M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 am

I'm a fan of the Hoegaarden, although I haven't had it in a while.

I remember drinking the Breo a good few years ago. I thought it said something about orange and corriander, but I could be miles off. It wasn't bad at all, from my memory. Never took off, though.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:56 pm

IainB wrote:Right now I'm having a Blue Moon, which is a "North American Craft Beer" and is "spiced with orange peel an coriander", along with a Tullabardine Sauternes finish. MMMmmmmmm.

Interesting combo - the beer is one of the more unusual beers that I've tried - there is a vague taste of orange and coriander which sounds strange but is very very drinkable and refreshing. The Tullibardine also has a very strong hint of orange on the taste and finish which, again, is unusual but veyr enjoyable. So the two are going down very nicely thank you.

Yes have had a fwe of those Blue Moons ... nearly sherbit like to me and very drinkable. I think the beer heads get annoyed that it is called a craft beer as it is made by Coors so fairly mass produced but nothing wrong with that as long as it's good. In all fairness they do say it aint half bad but I'd imagine the coors connection knocks it donw a bit.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby mccusk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:48 am

Investigated my newly found whiskey craving with a comparison of Greenspot and Red Breast. Still like the Red Breast best, but found the Green Spot a bit more 'manly', doesn't have the Red Breast sweetness and burns the mouth a bit more (in a good way). Could have drunk more of both were it not Monday night. Picked up a good supply at Duty Free in Dublin, Red Breast 15 will be tested at the weekend (new edition as I've discovered reading here.)
mccusk
New Spirit

Postby Stephen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Hmmm torn between smoky or smooth .....

A Connermara or a Writers Tears .... ohh the decisions !!!!
Stephen
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
IainB wrote:Right now I'm having a Blue Moon, which is a "North American Craft Beer" and is "spiced with orange peel an coriander", along with a Tullabardine Sauternes finish. MMMmmmmmm.

Yes have had a fwe of those Blue Moons ... nearly sherbit like to me and very drinkable. I think the beer heads get annoyed that it is called a craft beer as it is made by Coors so fairly mass produced but nothing wrong with that as long as it's good. In all fairness they do say it aint half bad but I'd imagine the coors connection knocks it donw a bit.

Yeah I've read there are a couple of "craft beers" made by big companies, of which this is one. I don't care though, I liked it!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Burke's Fine Old Irish Whiskey from the 1930-s :thumbsup:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Coming up;

Midleton 1973 30 years old 56%

Midleton 20th Anniversary 53%

happy days ;)
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey