NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby IainB » Mon May 24, 2010 12:04 am

varizoltan wrote:i was in The Dying Cow last night and had a few Black Bush

You lucky man! Let me know next time you're going.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Mon May 24, 2010 10:34 am

IainB wrote:

i did phone you, but no answer...
we had a great time...
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 am

varizoltan wrote:
IainB wrote:

i did phone you, but no answer...
we had a great time...

Thanks, I appreciate the call. Wasn't out at the weekend anyway - trying to be good!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby TheAngel'sShare » Mon May 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Its probably been mentioned before, but I must say that Writer's Tears is very nice whiskey. For €38 per bottle at Celtic Whiskey, it seems good value for what you get. Better neat, or with one cube of ice? Can't make up my mind.
TheAngel'sShare
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon May 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Yes it's from the Irishman stable, at €38 a bit pricey for what your getting, but overall this blend has been well received
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 pm

just having some left overs from last nights Hungarian Committee Meeting here at home

s h i t like Dungourney 1964, Midleton VR 1967, 1985, 1995, 2004, 2005, Ardbeg 30, Laphroaig 30 and of course my new house whiskey Tyrconnell 17.5, etc, etc......
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 31, 2010 9:56 pm

varizoltan wrote:just having some left overs from last nights Hungarian Committee Meeting here at home

s h i t like Dungourney 1964, Midleton VR 1967, 1985, 1995, 2004, 2005, Ardbeg 30, Laphroaig 30 and of course my new house whiskey Tyrconnell 17.5, etc, etc......

Good to see you slumming it ;)

Can you tell me what the Midleton VR 1967 is? ... or is it the Rare 1967 bottled for the Potstill.com you mean?

Anyway Glad I didn't make it over so as I'd hate to be drinking any of that dish water :evil: :(
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
varizoltan wrote:just having some left overs from last nights Hungarian Committee Meeting here at home

Good to see you slumming it ;)

Can you tell me what the Midleton VR 1967 is? ... or is it the Rare 1967 bottled for the Potstill.com you mean?

Anyway Glad I didn't make it over so as I'd hate to be drinking any of that dish water :evil: :(

that is the one, 35 years old, it is bad all right so as the rest :lol:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon May 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Z,

hope you had a good one, if you could arrange a small sample of the 1967-2002 Potstill.de Midleton bottling so I can do some tasting notes for the forum it would be much appreciated,

Cheers

TWB
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:06 am

A simple Laphroaig 10yo and the taste buds are tingling but how can I call Laphroaig simple ;) Washed down by a Schofferhofer weissebier.

I really don't know why this whisky is so good 8-)

Some people may think this is brash and over powering which may be true however it reminds of something a scotch whisky drinker said to me once. And that was that Irish is totally over powered by a scotch ... untrue, and maybe it is only me, but for me a Laphroaig does not over power a Jameson 12yo or a Powers Gold and any of the PPS whiskies totally stand on their own.

So morale of the story just because something is smooth and mellow does not mean it is devoid of taste.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:09 am

ardbeg 30, winner of the night, simply just better than the rest...
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby PureDrop » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:03 am

Before:
xP1110031.JPG
xP1110031.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

After:
xP1110047.JPG
xP1110047.JPG (50.27 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

:thumbsup:
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:31 am

MichaelS wrote:Before:
xP1110031.JPG

After:
xP1110047.JPG

:thumbsup:

i know where that happened :lol: :thumbsup:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm

with only a few nights left in ireland, going to relax tonight with some redbreast 12yo. this is the quintessential irish whiskey for me. if someone asked me how to define irish whiskey...this is what i would let them taste.

saw your previous post about laph 10yo IWC. i couldn't agree with you more. i dont know what it is about that stuff, but it just conjures up all things good for me. the stuff blows my mind even more with each new taste. for me, there really is nothing better than a snowy winters night with a dram of laph 10yo and a turf fire. i sure am going to miss that. i guess ill have to settle for some peat incense, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:27 pm

I opened on of the Lagavulin 12yo sherry cask bottles last night. Well worth a visit for any laga fan. Very sherried, obviously, very rich but still plenty smoke at that age. Quite different to the other lagavulins, except maybe the 21yo - it's like a younger more heavily sherried version, but not to the point of drowning out the Laga character.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:39 am

Tonight I'm trying a few Bladnoch forum bottlings. A Glen Grant 27, a Caol Ila 29 and a Benriach 23. The Benriach is my favourite of the three. Very nice indeed.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:46 am

Bladnoch 19yo single cask strength malt whisky 54%. Lovely stuff even at this strength with lemon and flowery notes. Tart and refreshing on the tongue too.
Dangerously drinkable when watered down.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby jcskinner » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Recession drinking - I'm on the Black Bush.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby SixCats! » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:39 am

Hi all,

Tonight, NO Liquor! Only Fruit juice. I plan to take a few nights (or more) off from drinking Liquor as I have had a dram (or three) nearly every single night for the last couple of weeks. I don't want to loose control.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 am

took my pops out for lunch with my mom today. had some canadian club, makers mark and blantons original single barrel. not sure of the age on the blantons though but not half bad. tasted loads of burnt charcoal and vanilla. hats off to graeme mcdowell for winning the us open! not the south, but good enough!
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am

brettie vedder wrote:took my pops out for lunch with my mom today. had some canadian club, makers mark and blantons original single barrel. not sure of the age on the blantons though but not half bad. tasted loads of burnt charcoal and vanilla. hats off to graeme mcdowell for winning the us open! not the south, but good enough!

Hi Brette, what is Canadian Club like ... I noticed it in my local lately so might give it a try. However I've tried Seagrams V.O. and didi not think much of it.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 pm

brettie vedder wrote:took my pops out for lunch with my mom today. had some canadian club, makers mark and blantons original single barrel. not sure of the age on the blantons though but not half bad. tasted loads of burnt charcoal and vanilla. hats off to graeme mcdowell for winning the us open! not the south, but good enough!

Hi Brette, what is Canadian Club like ... I noticed it in my local lately so might give it a try. However I've tried Seagrams V.O. and didi not think much of it.

for me its just a nice, light, rye whisky. i love drinking it over ice in the summer for some reason. its nothing that will blow your mind, but in my opinion worth trying. its $12 for 750ml in america, and i think it was around 28 euro for a 700ml bottle in ireland. at that price i would say its not worth it unless your just grabbing a drop in the pub. i am not a big fan of seagram's vo either, but crown royal is pretty nice. these days im getting loads more enjoyment out of bang for your buck drinks though, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 pm

brettie vedder wrote:for me its just a nice, light, rye whisky. i love drinking it over ice in the summer for some reason. its nothing that will blow your mind, but in my opinion worth trying. its $12 for 750ml in america, and i think it was around 28 euro for a 700ml bottle in ireland. at that price i would say its not worth it unless your just grabbing a drop in the pub. i am not a big fan of seagram's vo either, but crown royal is pretty nice. these days im getting loads more enjoyment out of bang for your buck drinks though, lol

Thanks BV :thumbsup: I did not realise it is a Rye WHiskey ... that's good to know ... must give it a go so and in this weather I think I'll be having it over ice too 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Canadians mean something different to Americans when they talk of rye whiskey.
There need not be any rye at all in Canadian whiskey, yet they can still call it rye for some reason.
CC does have a bit of rye in its 'flavouring whiskey' mashbill, but more corn than anything, I believe. That then gets blended with a light 'base' whiskey, a bit like how we dilute PPS with grain whiskey for Irish blends.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:19 pm

brettie vedder wrote:for me its just a nice, light, rye whisky. i love drinking it over ice in the summer for some reason. its nothing that will blow your mind, but in my opinion worth trying. its $12 for 750ml in america, and i think it was around 28 euro for a 700ml bottle in ireland. at that price i would say its not worth it unless your just grabbing a drop in the pub. i am not a big fan of seagram's vo either, but crown royal is pretty nice. these days im getting loads more enjoyment out of bang for your buck drinks though, lol

Thanks BV :thumbsup: I did not realise it is a Rye WHiskey ... that's good to know ... must give it a go so and in this weather I think I'll be having it over ice too 8-)

no problem IWC. here is the description of it on their website. i know canada has weird laws regarding their rye whisky.

The one that started the legend! Like all our whiskies 1858 Original is blended before ageing. This allows the subtle flavors of the rye, rye malt, barley and corn to marry perfectly before their long sleep in top quality white oak barrels. The result is a smooth, light, mellow flavor
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey