NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Joel1802 wrote:G & M Glen Grant 1958 (bot 2009) 40%. For the funeral of a dear friend, Bob Vroom, CD an RCN veteran of the Battle of the Atlantic, father, grandfather, Christian, and all-round class act. RIP

Ready Aye Ready

My condolences Joel.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Tyrconnell 17 (and a half).
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:49 am

JohnM wrote:Tyrconnell 17 (and a half).

Have you been hanging out with the Hungarians again?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 pm

IainB wrote:
JohnM wrote:Tyrconnell 17 (and a half).

Have you been hanging out with the Hungarians again?

Just one (and a half).
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Rum cask whiskeys from the three main Irish distilleries - tis not everyday I get to say that.

Teeling small batch
My last bushmills single rum cask
Midleton CWS 10th anniversary

All excellent but a big big hats off to ally for such an unusual (and by the way excellent) treat in the midleton.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Luke Gough » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 am

IainB wrote:Rum cask whiskeys from the three main Irish distilleries - tis not everyday I get to say that.

Teeling small batch
My last bushmills single rum cask
Midleton CWS 10th anniversary

All excellent but a big big hats off to ally for such an unusual (and by the way excellent) treat in the midleton.

Seconded! The Best Midleton blend yet!
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Have to say any of the Irish Rum finishes or blends with rum matured whiskey have not really done it for me.

The Bushmills version were never a favourite and even though the Ally Midleton version is possibly the best I've tasted so far still down the list for me. But that's what makes these finishes so exciting .. They work for some and not others.

Think I'll stick to my olorosso and PX favourites.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 pm

As you say it's all a matter of personal taste. For me the best two of all the single (or double!) casks from midletonhave been Ally's first single cask blend and the current rum cask. I just find them more interesting than the SPS bourbon cask midletons. I don't disagree on the sherry cask finishes - I would also rate the power JLs, redbreast etc. way ahead of the bourbon casks but the first and last of ally's special releases offer some interesting variety.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Fionnán » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14 am

keep in mind that the SPS that Ally gets is not just defined by its bourbon cask but, according to Crockett, is the lightest SPS distillate style that IDL make. Much as i adore SPS, I also think that this lighter distillate works well with a little grain whiskey thrown in there. When i want SPS i prefer it to be thick and aggressive like the PJL or the old green spots. Just personal taste really
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Luke Gough » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 am

Fionnán wrote:When i want SPS i prefer it to be thick and aggressive like the PJL or the old green spots. Just personal taste really

Seconded! :thumbsup:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 am

What kind of pot still do they use in the John's Lane? It always surprised me that the standard Powers contained a lighter potstill.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Fionnán » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am

my understanding is that the powers blend tastes more pot-stilly not so much because of the style of pot still in it but simply because its got a higher percentage of pot still in the sps/grain ratio than jemmie and paddys etc. As for PJL, that comes from the heavier sside of their distillate styles. Barry was a bit cryptic about what goes into it understandibly but, roughly, think of the CWS sps releases as the lightest end of the spectrum, than head through the light middle with yellow spot and redbreast (YS isnt just GS in a malaga cask, its a fundamentally different style of SPS distillate, all they really share is the name and the Mitchells and Sons contract) and then PJL and GS come in around the heavy mod-pot with the infamous Jemmie 15 SPS release confirmed as the only to-date unblended bottling of "trad pot" or very very heavy distillate to date (some of it apparently gets blended in iwht Jemmie gold etc). Barry described PJL as "Heavier than Redbreast, different to Green Spot" so make of that what you will.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Luke Gough » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 am

Fionnán wrote:my understanding is that the powers blend tastes more pot-stilly not so much because of the style of pot still in it but simply because its got a higher percentage of pot still in the sps/grain ratio than jemmie and paddys etc. As for PJL, that comes from the heavier sside of their distillate styles. Barry was a bit cryptic about what goes into it understandibly but, roughly, think of the CWS sps releases as the lightest end of the spectrum, than head through the light middle with yellow spot and redbreast (YS isnt just GS in a malaga cask, its a fundamentally different style of SPS distillate, all they really share is the name and the Mitchells and Sons contract) and then PJL and GS come in around the heavy mod-pot with the infamous Jemmie 15 SPS release confirmed as the only to-date unblended bottling of "trad pot" or very very heavy distillate to date (some of it apparently gets blended in iwht Jemmie gold etc). Barry described PJL as "Heavier than Redbreast, different to Green Spot" so make of that what you will.

Brilliant! :ugeek:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:57 am

IainB wrote:For me the best two of all the single (or double!) casks from midletonhave been Ally's first single cask blend and the current rum cask. I just find them more interesting than the SPS bourbon cask midletons...

As you say Iain a matter of taste but I can see myself coming back around again at some stage too ...

I loved the very first release too what an eye opener ... and even the next Bourbon cask was great but what killed the bourbon cask for me was the release after release of the same type of cask there after (even though there will technically be differences from cask to cask in taste).

I think one problem is that Midleton VR does not use sherry casks so they may steer clear of using sherry in Midleton single casks.

What about a brand new range of cask strength releases (or high strength of around 48%).... No need to go the single cask route then and then there is scope to release various sherry or blends of sherry and/or other casks. Maybe resurrect Dungourny as brand ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Luke Gough » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:What about a brand new range of cask strength releases (or high strength of around 48%).... No need to go the single cask route then and then there is scope to release various sherry or blends of sherry and/or other casks. Maybe resurrect Dungourny as brand ;)

Hear, Hear!!! :thumbsup:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Luke Gough wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:What about a brand new range of cask strength releases (or high strength of around 48%).... No need to go the single cask route then and then there is scope to release various sherry or blends of sherry and/or other casks. Maybe resurrect Dungourny as brand ;)

Hear, Hear!!! :thumbsup:

Hear, Hear Hear!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Fionnán » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:26 pm

no, here! Over here! Here! give it over here to ME!
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Luke Gough » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Fionnán wrote:no, here! Over here! Here! give it over here to ME!

:thumbsup:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Ancient Age bourbon.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Aberlour A'bunadh, mighty stuff I poured a dram for myself after work last night and added water, I dozed off and am having it tonight. I can't believe how cloudy it went. I didn't affect the quality.

I've a bottle of Basil Hayden open too and it's very typical of Beam, but easy to drink. It's like the lowland Scotch of the Bourbon world, if that makes any sense.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:51 am

Old Forester
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Old Weller 107 (US Proof)
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Nearly 10pm 23 degrees and sitting out back with a half corona and a Basil Hayden's on ice.

I'm making the most of the weather ;-)

Happy days ....
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 am

Dunville's VR
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 am

Joel1802 wrote:Dunville's VR

Very Nice Joel,

I finished last evening the same as the previous but this time the nectar of choice was Laphroaig PX. Came across much sweeter with a cigar which I found interesting but very enjoyable 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey