NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby IainB » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 pm

John wrote:Hey Iain,
Not sure how I missed your earlier post! That was a fantastic PPS line-up, how did it all go on the night?
Cheers,
J.

It didn't quite go according to plan - we skipped the regular greenspot and redbreast 12yo adn went straight to Greenspot 10, followed by the single cask, and then the new 15yo redbreast and the 15yo Jameson.

Thereafter it gets a bit hazy as we pretty much stuck to 2 of the 4 above. There were 2 definite winners on the night - one slightly ahead of the other - and for once my dad and I both agreed. Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Anyway the 4 are quite different whiskeys - it's unusual in the single cask to taste a PPs with no sherry element at all. I'm not sure what the make up of the Greenspot 10yo was but there didn't seem to be a lot of sherry there either.

In answer to IWC's question I didn't taste the 2 Redbreast 15s together that night but had done so previously. I hope you know what I mean whan I say the new bottling is, bizarrely, slightly more "old fashioned" than the old one - it seems to me to be slightly closer to the 15yo Jameson in style than the old one was.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Sat May 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Tonight, just had a Clynelish 14yo and DE. I'd forgotten how much I like these. They're real summer malts for me for some reason. (As I say this it's probably only about 6 degrees outside - but it was sunny today).

I've moved onto a Locke's 8yo. Next I'm trying to decide between Scapa 14, Bushmills 1608 or Bunnahabhain 25.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Sun May 09, 2010 1:07 am

just had the same all own single cask Tyrconnell 17.5...
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Power's Gold Label, old-fashioned (although not nearly enough as I'd like) no nonsense stuff.

On the rocks, hold the rocks.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Fri May 14, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm having a Black Bush and Bobby Darin is on the radio singing Beyond the Sea. Seems right.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Sat May 15, 2010 12:31 am

DavidH wrote:I'm having a Black Bush and Bobby Darin is on the radio singing Beyond the Sea. Seems right.

Where are you that Bushmills is beyond the sea? Your location says dublin?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Sat May 15, 2010 12:34 am

Anyways, tonight it's been Diageo Peaty Island / Islay night. In other words I started with Talisker 10, then Talisker 18, Caol Ila DE and Lagavulin DE. Once I finish the Laga DE think I might have a Laga 21.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Sat May 15, 2010 11:20 am

IainB wrote:Where are you that Bushmills is beyond the sea? Your location says dublin?

So literal, IainB. I was chillaxin'.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Having a Glen Garioch 21 yo tonight.
We've been discussing best 'bang for your buck' Irish whiskeys on another thread. This has to be a runner for best 'bang for your buck' older single malt.
Given this lad is 21 yo, its price point is excellent. Other distillers (especially Irish ones!) take note.
I'll be getting this again.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Just had a nip of Teachers from the 70's ... there was something a bit strange about it so I don't know whether it was slighly off or that was just the way it was back then but I put a tiny bit of Laphroaig 10yo cask strength into it and bingo :thumbsup:

Still had that strange off taste in my mouth so nothing for it but a RFedbreast 15yo ... mmmm ... just the trick and I'm sorted. Think I'll head for a Bushmills 1608 now as I've been forgetting this little beauty for a while now ...

,... catch ya later 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm

jcskinner wrote:Having a Glen Garioch 21 yo tonight.
We've been discussing best 'bang for your buck' Irish whiskeys on another thread. This has to be a runner for best 'bang for your buck' older single malt.
Given this lad is 21 yo, its price point is excellent. Other distillers (especially Irish ones!) take note.

I've a bottle of this on the go. I'm a fan alright but this is quite unlike any other malt I've tasted - there's something very unusual going on I can't begin to describe. I actually prefer the 15yo expression but agree with you that it's a great whisky at a very good price. At least it was. I think it's been discontinued.

Just had a nip of Edradour 10 - didn't like it so poured it out and went for a Bushmills 25yo, always a favourite, but definitely not at the price point of the GG21!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Just noticed your Glen Graioch 21yo earning a major bang for the buck citation ... fill us in ... how much?

Currently for me ... Tomintoul 27yo for under £90 sterling which is amazing and a lovely dram and it was my wife that put me on to it when she bought me a mini of it on return from a girly trip to Scotland ... the girl did well 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Tomintoul 27 - another good one alright - I think IWC put me onto this one.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Missus & little man in bed so a bit of peace ... so really enjoying my whiskey tonight ... ;)

Suppin the 1608 now and listening to a bit of Petty & the heart breakers.

Total bliss 8-)

Had the 16yo a few nights ago and was re-impressed by it but the 1608 still tops it for me.

Really need to open a sherry single cask bush soon.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Just finished the Bush 25. So will I have a single bourbon cask bushmills or another one of the same?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:

Just noticed your Glen Graioch 21yo earning a major bang for the buck citation ... fill us in ... how much?

Currently for me ... Tomintoul 27yo for under £90 sterling which is amazing and a lovely dram and it was my wife that put me on to it when she bought me a mini of it on return from a girly trip to Scotland ... the girl did well 8-)

Good call. Your Mrs has good taste - in whiskey anyway! :lol:
Twas 70 euro on tinterwebs. I understand it isn't much more here.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu May 20, 2010 12:04 am

jcskinner wrote:Good call. Your Mrs has good taste - in whiskey anyway! :lol:
Twas 70 euro on tinterwebs. I understand it isn't much more here.

The Tomintoul 27yo was actually only £75 sterling so even better than I thought 8-)

Just see the GG 21yo is still in Ally's for 80 spuds ... might give it a go given that you both rate it.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Missus & little man in bed so a bit of peace ... so really enjoying my whiskey tonight ... ;)

Suppin the 1608 now and listening to a bit of Petty & the heart breakers.

Total bliss 8-)

Had the 16yo a few nights ago and was re-impressed by it but the 1608 still tops it for me.

Really need to open a sherry single cask bush soon.

Fair play. New parents deserve all the bliss they can get!
I'd edge the 16 yo over the 1608. But that's a bit like preferring one orgasm over another to be honest! 8-)
I really need more sherry single cask bushes to open! Did a wee inventory check recently and realised I'm down to one. :o
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby jcskinner » Thu May 20, 2010 12:11 am

IainB wrote:I've a bottle of this on the go. I'm a fan alright but this is quite unlike any other malt I've tasted - there's something very unusual going on I can't begin to describe.

For me, there's a highly unusual floral quality to it that I'm partial too (I like Bowmore for similar reasons.)

IainB wrote:I actually prefer the 15yo expression but agree with you that it's a great whisky at a very good price. At least it was. I think it's been discontinued.

Say it ain't so!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu May 20, 2010 12:16 am

jcskinner wrote:
I really need more sherry single cask bushes to open! Did a wee inventory check recently and realised I'm down to one. :o

Just to crap you out ... I've 3 ... :P However your a direct result of one by taking a Rum cask off me so I owe you at least a drop from one :thumbsup:

really egging to open one now but the're out of reach.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 am

I'd take more rum cask Bushes off you too, if I were able! Great whiskey altogether. Though I have to conform to the consensus opinion that the single sherry cask Bush edges it.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Thu May 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Just see the GG 21yo is still in Ally's for 80 spuds ... might give it a go given that you both rate it.[/quote]

keep in mind, what is on Ally's website, it is not always in the shop!
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
jcskinner wrote:

Just to crap you out ... I've 3 ... :P However your a direct result of one by taking a Rum cask off me so I owe you at least a drop from one :thumbsup:

really egging to open one now but the're out of reach.

Out of reach? Were you too lazy to get out of your chair?

Anyway, going for Bushmills again tonight - just had a 10yo as a base reference point - not the most exciting malt in the world but nothing wrong with it either - a good easy drinker.

Just moved onto a single Bourbon cask.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Sat May 22, 2010 4:47 pm

i was in The Dying Cow last night and had a few Black Bush
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun May 23, 2010 9:40 pm

In the back garden enjoying what's left of a glorious sunny week-end.

Sun setting over an orange purple horizon ...

Cigar smoke in the air and an Old Fitzgearld 12yo over ice

8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey