NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:36 am

Gutted, I went to get the Jameson Marconi and the bottle was empty. Had leaked out because I left it in a storage box and must have fell over last week :cry:

What will I have to drown my sorrows?
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:Gutted, I went to get the Jameson Marconi and the bottle was empty. Had leaked out because I left it in a storage box and must have fell over last week :cry:

Bad luck GWH, a sorry loss, but at least you have a lovely Jameson Avatar :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TallyB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:Gutted, I went to get the Jameson Marconi and the bottle was empty. Had leaked out because I left it in a storage box and must have fell over last week :cry:

A double of anything. :D
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Postby TallyB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

A large VAT 69.
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Earlier a cask strength, single cask, single malt Sherry cask from ye Old Bushmills Distillery. Say that in a Hurry ;)

Anyway this is just a cracker of a whiskey. Full flavoured but gentle not a sherry monster but plenty of sherry character with out over powering. Even a splash of vanilla in there which you may not expect.

Now the same but a sps sample from Midleton. This is a sherry monster ... Rich heavy sherry on the meaty side. Robust and heart warming ... Big and bold and an amazing example of a big whiskey.

Preferring the Bushmills tonight though.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:41 pm

SPS single ex-sherry cask from Middleton? Where from? How do I get one? I want. :mrgreen:
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby bredman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Seen off the last couple drams of a bottle Jameson 12. Eyeballing a bottle of Carlingford 8yo that i've just found at the back of a shelf, i forgot i bought this. A Tesco exclusive iirc, and there is Finest* print around the bottom of the capsule.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 am

Benriach 12yo Horizons (Triple distilled), Tullabardine 18yo Sautenres Finish (Mmmmm), a blend of the two, and a blend of the two with a small portion on Bowmore 18 to give a little peaty hint. (Sorry purists!)
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Powers JL 12yo ... need I say more :mrgreen:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby bredman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:03 am

Eagle Rare 17 just wasn't sitting right tonight so a switch to Laphroaig 18 sorted out the evening.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby bredman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Right! I just opened a Spirit Of Asama Karuizawa 55%. Poured and being nosed as i type. The nose is all over the place so i'll let it settle for a while. There is noticeable sulphur so lets see where it goes.

Looks like a granulated cork which tend to disintegrate after a while so there may be issues with longer periods of storage.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Talisker 10. Yes it is only 1015 Pacific.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Raoul Duke » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Jack Daniels White Rabbit Saloon

Picked up a bottle at the weekend. Basically regular Jack Daniels but 43% instead of the usual 40%. Of course you'll probably remember when Jack was 43% before they lowered it to 40%.

Anyway, it does come in a really nice bottle but other than that, not much difference to the usual stuff.
“Sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind but falling in love and not getting arrested.” ― Hunter S. Thompson
Raoul Duke
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:Jack Daniels White Rabbit Saloon

Anyway, it does come in a really nice bottle but other than that, not much difference to the usual stuff.

Another difference is the price.

Do all the commemorative bottles have the regular stuff in it?
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Joel1802 wrote:Talisker 10. Yes it is only 1015 Pacific.

:lol: fair play Joel :thumbsup:

Feeling a bit crook myself tonight so a large Bowmore Enigma 12yo ....

.... Totally for medicinal reasons of course ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
Joel1802 wrote:Talisker 10. Yes it is only 1015 Pacific.

:lol: fair play Joel :thumbsup:

Feeling a bit crook myself tonight so a large Bowmore Enigma 12yo ....

.... Totally for medicinal reasons of course ...

Odly enough it was medical for me. I am having work done on my heels and there is a gap between the shots and when the pain hits. There also happened to be a beer I wanted to try. So I figured a talisker and a stout would be nice. Now the window is closed and I'm carpet bombing with percocet. No drinking for a few days :cry: :thumbsdown:
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Joel1802 wrote:Odly enough it was medical for me. I am having work done on my heels and there is a gap between the shots and when the pain hits. There also happened to be a beer I wanted to try. So I figured a talisker and a stout would be nice. Now the window is closed and I'm carpet bombing with percocet. No drinking for a few days :cry: :thumbsdown:

Hopefully your not out of action for too long ... best of luck with that.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby bredman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 am

Mars Maltage Komagatake (Shinshu) 10 yo 40%. I'm not too keen on the colour, that deep rich colour of David Dickinson. Aside from the fake tan the nose is lovely, full of complex fruits primarily dried apricot and mixed berries. Plenty of spice too. The palate lacks the complexity unfortunately but the big flavours are good. Finish is medium length but the bitterness of the colour cuts it short. I'm being a bit fussy here though, this is good stuff. To hear that Mars are distilling again after a 10 year lay off is good news.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
Joel1802 wrote:Odly enough it was medical for me. I am having work done on my heels and there is a gap between the shots and when the pain hits. There also happened to be a beer I wanted to try. So I figured a talisker and a stout would be nice. Now the window is closed and I'm carpet bombing with percocet. No drinking for a few days :cry: :thumbsdown:

Hopefully your not out of action for too long ... best of luck with that.

Looks like another booze free night. Percocet just doesn't make the grade.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:20 am

bredman wrote:Mars Maltage Komagatake (Shinshu) 10 yo 40%. I'm not too keen on the colour, that deep rich colour of David Dickinson. Aside from the fake tan the nose is lovely, full of complex fruits primarily dried apricot and mixed berries. Plenty of spice too. The palate lacks the complexity unfortunately but the big flavours are good. Finish is medium length but the bitterness of the colour cuts it short. I'm being a bit fussy here though, this is good stuff. To hear that Mars are distilling again after a 10 year lay off is good news.

I have a few Mars - although not this particular bottling. They're distilling in a new location, though. Is that right? Some good value in Mars, compared to Karuizawa anyway.

What distillery might you compare it to?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:25 am

I've just finished off a bottle of Powers John's lane. I'll have to find a local source to replenish my stocks. Driving to Dublin to get a bottle isn't good for the environment. But it is worth it.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby bredman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:58 am

JohnM wrote:I have a few Mars - although not this particular bottling. They're distilling in a new location, though. Is that right? Some good value in Mars, compared to Karuizawa anyway.

Not exactly John. I have a couple bottles of Malt Of Kagoshima (single casks) which are the old Mars distillery (some of the whisky from that era is sold as Satsuma iirc). They swapped in 1985 to Shinshu factory and afaik they have used that location ever since and the whisky from there is dubbed "Komagatake". They restarted in 2011 after a 10 year mothballing and Dramtastic rates the new make (10 months old) very highly -- both a peated and unpeated style. They were going to distill sooner but there was a story about one of the stills being condemned as "dangerous".

JohnM wrote:What distillery might you compare it to?

I was told to expect a Highland Park. On the first sip i immediately thought Highland Park 12 -- power of suggestion?? I do have a recent HP12 sample somewhere and i'll dig it out tomorrow for a h2h. The original 10 came in a porcelain bottle and is apparently superior. The nose on this one is truly delightful, if they dropped the fake tan and boosted it to 46% it would be up there with the very best there is.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:19 am

The hell with the percocet, I can't take that sh*te any more. I put up with the pain while I waited for it to get out of my system and now (drum roll) Glendronach 1994 Sherry Butt 97 at 60.1%. The pain is still there, but I'm much happier!
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby bredman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:50 am

Teerenpeli 8yo Single Malt Whisky 43%. From Finland and natural colour non-chilfiltered. Coffee malt. :D

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:25 am

I been searching for a old Jameson 7 year old. I have got a miniature recently so I decided to crack it open. It's got that musty taste that was referred to in another post recently. It still has a nice flavour to it and a surprising menthol finish. :thumbsup:

The search still continues for a proper bottle.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey