NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby Pudge72 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:23 am

varizoltan wrote:just home from the hospital where my brother's little girl was born

i have poured myself a large Midleton 20th anniversary for her good health :)

Congratulations to your sister-in-law and brother!

I had some Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix earlier. I find the nose on this one to be very rewarding, as long as I am patient, open to possibilities, and keep digging. In other words, this is one to savour in order to fully appreciate.
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am

varizoltan wrote:just home from the hospital where my brother's little girl was born

Congratulations to the Vari family. I mentioned to Alex that you wanted samples of what was tasted last night.
Since your the God Father now, I should have told him you'll make him a offer he can't refuse. :)
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Congrats uncle Z :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Pudge72 wrote:

Congratulations to your sister-in-law and brother!

I had some Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix earlier. I find the nose on this one to be very rewarding, as long as I am patient, open to possibilities, and keep digging. In other words, this is one to savour in order to fully appreciate.

Congratulations Zoltan.

As it happens I am having some Snow Phoenix too. And some Longmorn 30
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 am

I got a Bushmill's 16 after tasting some lovely aged Bushmill's recently.

I decided to taste it along side the last of my Yellow Spot. I wish I hadn't. It's grand on it own but the Yellow spot just take over the taste buds.

I try it again another night on it's own and hopefully I'll enjoy it more.

For now I'll say if your in the market for an over €50 under €75 whiskey get your hands on the Yellow Spot while stocks last.

I spoke with a Diageo rep today and asked what they were doing with Bushmills. He agreed they were not very innovative. They were willing to try new things with their beers but were very cautious with spirits. I really hope they have a plan somewhere.
I'm tempted to rant but won't. ;)
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Had the last a Tullamore Black 43 an excellent anytime pot still blend.

Then on to Bladnoch 8yo lightly peated
. This is a firm favourite but tonight not getting the best from it, not much on the peat and too much bourbon barrel.

Next on the list a Balmenach 26yo single sherry cask :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Last night, some Grand Old Parr 12 in memory and honour of my late grandfather (a Parr himself) who passed away six years ago. I believe the last alcohol that he had (a couple of years before his passing) was the end of a bottle of GOP 12, shared with my wife and I, that he had been given years previous by a friend.

The GOP 12 is a tough find in North America. My current bottle is via the friend of a good friend, who kindly brought it up from Texas for my birthday in 2011. The good friend now lives in California where some BevMo stores have the odd bottle or two. I hope to always have a bottle in my cabinet, both for sentimental reasons, and for the fact that it is a nice whisky to drink.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 am

Just sitting in the garden cottage at Bowmore having a Laphrpaoig 10 CS to wash down an excellent Port Charlotte dinner. Am I happy? Yes I am!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 am

Dewar Rattray 25 y.o. Monymusk Jamaicain rum. Single barrel cask #10 295 bottles distilled 8 June 86 bottled 28 Sep 11. Maybe a bit too long in the barrel, but very nice!
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am

IainB wrote:Just sitting in the garden cottage at Bowmore having a Laphrpaoig 10 CS to wash down an excellent Port Charlotte dinner. Am I happy? Yes I am!

To say I'm not Jealous is and under statement ... Hope ye had a great week-end.

At the week-end had Strathisla 1967 (bot 2004), thanks Leo :thumbsup:

also Tyrconnell 10yo Sherry cask and Balvennie 12yo double wood.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Cracked open bottles of Compass Box Peat Monster (a friend's) and Dun Bheagan Islay 2002 (mine) on Friday night for a peat tasting. The CBPM is very nicely balanced between the peat and smoke, without either one being overdone...the Caol Ila and Laphroaig that are to my understanding (after reading reviews after tasting this one), components (along with Ardmore, possibly others) of this bottle, were very evident to my friend and myself. The DB Islay is apparently an 8 yo Lagavulin. It does seem to have the characteristics of a Laga 16, though with less smoke, less sweetness, and a more prominent role for the peat in an herbal sort of way...a very nice dram for a rainy evening.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:27 am

Had many fine drinks today but far the best was a 30 yr Old lagavulin straight from the cask!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Pudge72 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 am

IainB wrote:Had many fine drinks today but far the best was a 30 yr Old lagavulin straight from the cask!

8-)
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 am

IainB wrote:Had many fine drinks today but far the best was a 30 yr Old lagavulin straight from the cask!

No, I've definitely decided that I am not Jealous :cry:

Bahh Humbum :x ;)

Enjoy ye lucky buggers :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 am

Percocet. :D
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Before going to bed last night, I had a small dram of Black Bush. This bottle has been open for over 16 months and is approaching 1/4 full.

For the first six to eight months (first 1/2 of the bottle) after opening the bottle, I got a really nice fresh-cut red apple note (more sweet, less tart than a green apple) on the nose and palate. I haven't experienced that particular note (at least to any noticeable, consistent degree) in any other whisk(e)y that I have tried. Alas, that note eventually dissipated and for the next several months (the next 1/4 of the bottle level) the BB seemed to emphasize what I assume to be the grain whiskey component to a much greater degree (more bitterness...not unpleasant, but not nearly as enjoyable).

Then, all of the sudden, last night when I had a dram the sherry influence came on in spades. A really rich chocolate fudge note was the predominent feature on the nose and palate. This was accented by oranges and sweet red berries. It was my single best dram of BB that I have had, and I now know the basis for one of the most positive reviews that I had read about it last year (on Connosr), which put the BB on my radar of whiskies to purchase. I had started to slightly waver in my enthusiasm for the BB, and my willingness to re-stock it in my cabinet in the future, but last night was a revelation. :thumbsup:
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:24 am

RB12 washed down with Young's Special London Ale. For medicinal purposes only. 'night. :D

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it's gone right to my head
Everywhere I roam
Over land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home...
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby PureDrop » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I've been sampling some of my "trip vatting" from the recent trip to Islay/Jura and Campbletown organised by the Celtic Whisky Shop.
I would highly recommend the trip to anyone interested in whisky. We had a very sociable group of ~24 and were royaly treated (and indeed entertained) by Ally and Michael from the shop and also the staff of the 10 distilleries visited over the 4 days. Highlights for me (and my tastebuds) were Lagavulin, Springbank, Glengoyne, Jura, Bowmore and Laphroaig. I counted 60 different whiskies sampled over the 4 days.

A part of many of the samples was tipped into an empty Power's bottle. Not all whiskies made it into the vatting - I sometimes left the bottle on the bus! but those that did included ...
    Glengoyne 15yo European Oak Sherry Hogshead 55.7% - a very pleasant surprise
    Laphroaig 18yo 48%
    Bruichladdich (Octomore 157ppm 4yo from cask) - a stunner
    Bruichladdich Ch. d'Yquem 1992 (from cask) - sweet as expected but very very moreish
    Bruichladdich French Wine cask ???
    Kilchomain Machir Bay (46%) - very buyable
    Kilchomain 100% Islay
    Ardbeg 10yo
    Ardbeg Uigeadail (54.1%) (much nicer than the old bottle I have at home)
    Ardbeg Galileo (49.9%) -
    Lagavulin ex sherry cask 8yo (57.6%) - hmmmmm
    Lagavulin 10yo refil cask (1st fill was Port Ellen) 56% - hmmmmmm
    Lagavulin 14yo ex Sherry cask 56.4% - hmmmmmmmm - running out of m's
    Lagavulin 30yo (1982) ex bourbon - yeeeeeeesssssss - whisky of the trip
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan 57.1%
    Bowmore 12
    Bowmore Darkest 15yo
    Bowmore Tempest #4 10yo 55.1%
    Bowmore 1985 (26yo) 52.3% - another stunning whisky
    Ardbeg Blasda
    Glengoyne 21yo - very moreish

The bottle was full by the time we got to Springbank.
Surprisingly, the vatting is very very tasty with a hint of ash in the finish!
Very tasty and will bring back very fond memories for a couple of weeks to come.
/M
Last edited by PureDrop on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby matt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:42 pm

The last dram of the Yellow Spot. Next to pour RB 12 CS
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 pm

PureDrop wrote:I've been sampling some of my "trip vatting" from the recent trip to Islay/Jura and Campbletown organised by the Celtic Whisky Shop.
I would highly recommend the trip to anyone interested in whisky. We had a very sociable group of ~24 and were royaly treated (and indeed entertained) by Ally and Michael from the shop and also the staff of the 10 distilleries visited over the 4 days. Highlights for me (and my tastebuds) were Lagavulin, Springbank, Glengoyne, Jura, Bowmore and Laphroaig. I counted 60 different whiskies sampled over the 4 days.

A part of many of the samples was tipped into an empty Power's bottle. Not all whiskies made it into the vatting - I sometimes left the bottle on the bus! but those that did included ...
    Glengoyne 15yo European Oak Sherry Hogshead 55.7% - a very pleasant surprise
    Laphroaig 18yo 48%
    Bruichladdich (Octomore 157ppm 4yo from cask) - a stunner
    Bruichladdich Ch. d'Yquem 1992 (from cask) - sweet as expected but very very moreish
    Bruichladdich French Wine cask ???
    Kilchomain Machir Bay (46%) - very buyable
    Kilchomain 100% Islay
    Ardbeg 10yo
    Ardbeg Uigeadail (54.1%) (much nicer than the old bottle I have at home)
    Ardbeg Galileo (49.9%) -
    Lagavulin ex sherry cask 8yo (57.6%) - hmmmmm
    Lagavulin 10yo refil cask (1st fill was Port Ellen) 56% - hmmmmmm
    Lagavulin 14yo ex Sherry cask 56.4% - hmmmmmmmm - running out of m's
    Lagavulin 20yo (1982) ex bourbon - yeeeeeeesssssss - whisky of the trip
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan 57.1%
    Bowmore 12
    Bowmore Darkest 15yo
    Bowmore Tempest #4 10yo 55.1%
    Bowmore 1985 (26yo) 52.3% - another stunning whisky
    Ardbeg Blasda
    Glengoyne 21yo - very moreish

The bottle was full by the time we got to Springbank.
Surprisingly, the vatting is very very tasty with a hint of ash in the finish!
Very tasty and will bring back very fond memories for a couple of weeks to come.
/M

Quite the awesome sounding "Frankenbottle" you have there, Pure Drop! (sorry, had to get a Halloween reference in to the mix today :) )
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:15 am

Yellow Spot. This should come in gallon bottles.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Yesterday at a pub:

Leinburn 12 - my most notable experience to date, seemingly, with 'sulphur-taint' as the nose and palate were dominated by a freshly struck matchstick note that made the whisky one dimensional to me. I have found that I don't usually mind a sulphur style note as part of a more complex profile, but am turned away from a whisky when it is a dominant presence.
Macallan 12 - some nice red apple and caramel sauce notes, though with a very striking black pepper note that dominated the nose during the last two sips of the dram. I confirmed with my wife that no one at the pub had spilled or applied black pepper while eating.

at home:

HP 12 (previously noted bottle kill) followed by HP 18 from a sample provided by a generous Austrian whisky friend who visited Canada in the summer. I hadn't had HP 18 in well over a year...I forgot how much I loved it! Nice sweet citrus (mainly orange) notes on the nose, with a whiff of smoke/peat/candied fruit and a whole bunch of other stuff very nicely balanced on the palate.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 am

I've just polished off a bottle of Jameson Gold, I looked around and decided to break the seal on a bottle of Jameson Marconi, grand stuff, not too dissimilar from the Gold. Not just a Jameson thing I believe.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby TallyB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Which Gold, the older dumppy bottle (the best) or the newer coco-nutty tall bottle one which is horrible.
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:34 pm

It was the new one. I loved the older one too but the new one's a nice whiskey.

I wished I'd kept a few of the older ones. I started buying them in 1997 from duty free when my brother lived in Germany. I'd say I drank gallons of it over the years. :thumbsup:
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey