NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Would you believe a Glenmoranie 10yo with 2 glasses in a charity auction. I'm guessing pretty much probably retail price here even though I probably could get it cheaper in the UK but what harm it was for a good cause.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Auchentoshan Three Wood to boost the "sherry influenced" section of my whisky cabinet.
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:10 pm

I've added a few more Writers Tears to the cabinet. I buy this in bulk now because lots of my friends love it and it's almost impossible to find.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Zebrano » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi all
I was wondering if anybody knows where I could get a bottle of johnnie walker platinum in north dublin
Zebrano
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:35 am

Not very likely, if you can't get it in the Celtic Whiskey shop in town I think your best bet is

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-17270.aspx
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 am

One of my Mules ;) supplied me with an Ardmore traditional Cask (46%) and an Aberfeldy 12yo (40%) both 1litres for a grand total €65. Probably should be posting this in the Bargain forum but unless your traveling through Schipol maybe not much use to you. Great deal though and the Aberfeldy is really nice (for the price).Well Rounded and rich with a nice spicey charachter to it.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:One of my Mules ;) supplied me with an Ardmore traditional Cask (46%) and an Aberfeldy 12yo (40%) both 1litres for a grand total €65. Probably should be posting this in the Bargain forum but unless your traveling through Schipol maybe not much use to you. Great deal though and the Aberfeldy is really nice (for the price).Well Rounded and rich with a nice spicey charachter to it.

Just got a chance to try the Ardmore TC on the weekend at what is probably the best all-around pub in London, Ontario (Morrissey House on Dundas Street if anybody is travelling through Southern Ontario...great food...good Scotch selection (lacking in good Irish whiskey, unfortunately)...and a good rotation of craft beer selections.). This bottle is a nicely peated/smokey whisky that doesn't go overboard on either note...a more approachable version (sans medicinal notes) of it's quarter cask cousin, the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Waiting for the Ardmore to come back to Ontario...and yes, it is a great deal, which may be to its' detriment in terms of peoples' perception of its quality.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby chamolk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 am

Just received my bottle of Bushmills millennium reserve and now I've got a quandry - do i drink or save?

Conan
chamolk
New Spirit

Postby mawhinney » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:05 pm

chamolk wrote:Just received my bottle of Bushmills millennium reserve and now I've got a quandry - do i drink or save?

Conan

Drink it laddie! Whiskey is for drinking; stamps are for collecting.
You might be struck by lightning to-morrow and never have experienced the joy of Bushmills Millennium whiskey. And if you escape the lightning strike, then buy another bottle. It's win ....win.... :thumbsup:
mawhinney
Quarter Cask

Postby Alicja » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:01 am

Glen Garioch 1797 Founders Reserve and Irishman Founders Reserve Irish Whiskey
Alicja
Quarter Cask

Postby Luke Gough » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:45 am

Alicja wrote:Glen Garioch 1797 Founders Reserve and Irishman Founders Reserve Irish Whiskey

Both good, solid whiskeys/whiskies.
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 pm

mawhinney wrote:Drink it laddie! Whiskey is for drinking; stamps are for collecting.

.... and I thought stamps were for licking ... no wonder some of my whiskey is a bit pasty ... ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:22 am

Last week, I was fortunate enough to pick up one of the last bottles of Four Roses Limited Edition (2013) 125th Anniversary bottle that was available in Ontario. I loved a sample of the FR Mariage when I was able to try it about three years ago (I think it was FR's Limited Edition bottling from 2009). I had been on the lookout for the Mariage ever since. When I read reviews and tasting notes about the 125th bottle, I realized it would be my best shot at getting something that approximated the Mariage. Can't wait to try it, though it may not be for a little while.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 pm

I got some Penderyn 41 recently. I'm impressed.

I picked up a nice bottle of Powers 15 year old recently. I'll have to crack it open soon. It was leaking when I got it so I have no intention of letting it suffer.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Alicja » Thu May 01, 2014 4:11 pm

I wish I could buy a sample of Powers from you...
Alicja
Quarter Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Two and a half weeks ago found me in Niagara Falls, NY at a Volbeat concert (if you like heavy rock with a little country/rockabilly influence...definitely something different...check them out! Their current 'heavy play' songs on satellite radio are "Lola Montez" and "Dead but Rising"). That gave me the opportunity to pick up a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114. It has been one of my favourite whisk(e)y experiences when I have tried it in the past. As an added bonus, it was only US$29 after tax!! Looking forward to trying it this summer.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat May 24, 2014 3:05 pm

I've packed in on "spending money" on redicilously priced limited editions or so called rare old whiskies. I'm convinced it's all a con anyway.

On our recent trip to portugal pickec up nothing on the way out through The Irish Whiskey Collection store in shannon as there was Zero value to be had really. All pretty much premium high street prices with a few boring exceptions on special :scratch:

I was hoping to nab a Writers tears but alas they had none of the regular just the stupidly priced "Single Cask" version :roll:

Picked up a liter of Johnnie Walker Spice Road for €34 on the way back in Faro which is fairly ok but to be honest I don't hold out much expectation for the contents but I'm sure it will be very drinkable.

However I did find a shop locally where we stayed that had a Lagavulin 16yo for €53 which I think was a bit of a bargain. A similar type shop in closer to the tourist centre had one for €64 while Ally charges €77.

So all in all a good buy. Looking forward to trying both though. Been a while since I've had a bottle of Laga 16.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Raven » Sat May 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Well said IWS ! the same for me. Not just IDL as they are all now at it. Passed through
'The Loop' twice recently and picked up nothing Irish. 'Celtic Tiger' Greed has returned
with a voracious appetite.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun May 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Sad ... and even sadder is the fact is my last 7 Whiskey purchases where not whiskey but Whisky (all down to price / value ratio) and the 2 Irish previous to that were single cask 21yo Cooley peated from a Scottish bottler for a fair price of circa €75 each, how much is Teeling charging for their 21year olds :shock: .

Out of all those 9 bottles only 1 was a blend and 1 was a NAS single malt but both were 1liter versions so added value there also. So if I use an average of 5 years for these and take an average age for my Whisky bought and average price for that same whiskey is goes to 12.25 years average and €49.70 average per bottle. Not overly scientific but enough for me to be shocked by current Irish prices.

How can IDL justify Jameson 12 yo at circa €60-65 is beyond me ... parallel to Redbreast 12 and substantially less than powers 12yo which still seems to be around the €50 mark and less in places :roll: . Further more Tullamore Dew 12 is circa €43 hhhmm I wonder where that is made :scratch: and that is comparable to the Market leader 12yo in scotch The Glenlivet 12yo. The last bottle of Jameson 12 I bought was €27 in Tesco be it 7 or so years ago but to over double in that time is crazy especially when other brands have only increased slightly above inflation in the same period.

The Irish stance has always been not to compare itself to scotch but at the end of the day the buyer will...

So no of offence to Irish whiskey producers/bottlers but they really are taking the preverbials on their pricing strategies these days and I fear it will back fire on them. Trying to turn core whiskeys into super premium is more in danger of harming your brand rather than elevating it in my opinion.

Just a thought and rant over
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Janey, I didn't realise Jameson 12 was that price now. Ridiculous. Thankfully I have lots of old bottles of it.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Totally agree. We were talking about this last year when the price took yet another increase. I used to buy Redbreast 12 and Jameson when they were in the €30-€40ish price range but no longer. The prices are ridiculous and I can't see them changing. It's offensive the way they are pricing the regulars out. I hope all these new distilleries don't follow the same policy.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:30 am

The key seems to be to stock up in North America if any of you are able to cross the pond. Decent selection in big US cities. Redbreast 12 is around Can$62 and Writer's Tears (standard, not CS) is Can$53 in Ontario (about same in US). Powers John's Lane is apprx US$70 depending on what store you see it in, in the US.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Luke Gough » Tue May 27, 2014 12:11 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Sad ... and even sadder is the fact is my last 7 Whiskey purchases where not whiskey but Whisky (all down to price / value ratio) and the 2 Irish previous to that were single cask 21yo Cooley peated from a Scottish bottler for a fair price of circa €75 each, how much is Teeling charging for their 21year olds :shock: .

Out of all those 9 bottles only 1 was a blend and 1 was a NAS single malt but both were 1liter versions so added value there also. So if I use an average of 5 years for these and take an average age for my Whisky bought and average price for that same whiskey is goes to 12.25 years average and €49.70 average per bottle. Not overly scientific but enough for me to be shocked by current Irish prices.

How can IDL justify Jameson 12 yo at circa €60-65 is beyond me ... parallel to Redbreast 12 and substantially less than powers 12yo which still seems to be around the €50 mark and less in places :roll: . Further more Tullamore Dew 12 is circa €43 hhhmm I wonder where that is made :scratch: and that is comparable to the Market leader 12yo in scotch The Glenlivet 12yo. The last bottle of Jameson 12 I bought was €27 in Tesco be it 7 or so years ago but to over double in that time is crazy especially when other brands have only increased slightly above inflation in the same period.

The Irish stance has always been not to compare itself to scotch but at the end of the day the buyer will...

So no of offence to Irish whiskey producers/bottlers but they really are taking the preverbials on their pricing strategies these days and I fear it will back fire on them. Trying to turn core whiskeys into super premium is more in danger of harming your brand rather than elevating it in my opinion.

Just a thought and rant over

Don't forget: Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014 is on sale online on June 2nd!
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 pm

The Cairdeas is another one that's going up in price... Think it's £65 or thereabouts this year.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Luke Gough » Tue May 27, 2014 1:43 pm

JohnM wrote:The Cairdeas is another one that's going up in price... Think it's £65 or thereabouts this year.

£70.00 online!!! :?
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey