NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Postby DublinGus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 pm

A bottle of Dunlow and a Greenore 10 year old single cask...... now have the complete collection........6,8,10,15,18 and 19 year old Greenore :D
It would be great if Beam released a 21 year old limitied edition or a single cask this year!
DublinGus
Rundlet Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 pm

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:Hi GWH,

Can you check your Edward Dillon & Fitz & Co. bottles for bottling codes, that would help me greatly with my dating project for Redbreast,

Cheers TWB

I'll send it later on.

I just seen one go for €155 on whiskyauction.com are they that rare? I would have thought the Dillon one was rarer!
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishintheUSA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 am

Hey all,

First post here. Hopefully many more to come. Im currently overseas right now with the US Army, but ive been doing some pretty intensive online scouring. The last 3 days have been -

2 bottles of Bushmills Rum Cask ( 69.99US a bottle... I couldnt believe it at first)
2 bottles of Knappogue 1990
2 bottles of Knappogue 1991
3 bottles of Knappogue 1994 MD
2 bottles of Knappogue 15 (Still my all time favorite pour and it bumps be up to 4 closed and 1 open bottle)
8 bottles of Bushmills Millennium Malt (I found a place in the states that had it for 150US a bottle. 3 for me, 3 for my brother and 2 for the man that first sent me a sample of it.)
1 bottle of The Irishman Rare cask 2010

There have been a few more almost purchases but I managed to have some self control. Its been a hell of a 3 days haha, it just going to make the day i get back home even sweeter.

Eli
IrishintheUSA
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Welcome, Eli, that's an impressive haul!

I was reading just last night that US fighter pilots have a favourite shot - Jeremiah Weed, a bourbon liqueur. Are there any whiskey traditions in the army?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishintheUSA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Thank you, David. I usually dont get that lucky with my finds so I was pretty happy.

Im not sure about a whiskey tradition for the Army? At least not one that I've been privy to? Ill have to look in to that?
IrishintheUSA
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Welcome Eli,

20 bottles in 3 days ... I'm impressed ... Keep up the good work ;-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 am

IrishintheUSA wrote:Thank you, David. I usually dont get that lucky with my finds so I was pretty happy.

Im not sure about a whiskey tradition for the Army? At least not one that I've been privy to? Ill have to look in to that?

...or (within regulations of course) you could start one yourself! :thumbsup:
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishintheUSA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 am

Im glad to be here, IWC (PS, I love your blog. It has been my hunting guide for a while, so thank you veryyy much for that). I mayyy have left a few bottles out because I had got them the previous week, haha..but a few have started to trickle in. Once the entire lot makes its way back to my house in the states, ill get a pic. These are what have made their way in so far.

Pudge, I think thats a great idea. Ill have to come up with some reason to toast or share that is within regulations haha. Im sure I can find a few loops holes. There should always be loop holes when whiskey is involved.

uploadpic1.jpg
I thought id get some samples as well. This way If im not a fan, it will save me more for future buys.
uploadpic1.jpg (63.66 KiB) Viewed 2117 times

uploadpic2.jpg
For some reason, my friend left out the Knapp 16 and the 2 1994 MDs
uploadpic2.jpg (228.64 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
IrishintheUSA
New Spirit

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

Some great bottles there, 'IUSA'! Stay safe overseas, and give us some impressions of those bottles when you open them up when you get back to MI. I'll be particularly interested in your impressions of the Irishman Cask Strength.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:32 am

Welcome Eli,
I think you will have a good homecoming party. Stay safe and I enjoy the whiskey.

I remember my first introduction to Bourbon was by some US soldiers in Augsburg PX. Makers Mark left its mark. Good craic all the same.
David mentioned Army traditions with whiskey. I remember the lads stationed there were fond of a variety of whiskeys. Scotch was favoured but hopefully things are changing.

You'll love the Irishman Cask Strength. Get tour hands on Writers Tears Cask strength if you can.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishintheUSA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 am

GWH,

Glad to be here. I only have a month or two left, so hopefully ill be enjoying those sooner rather than later. My whiskey drinking started because of my brother. He is a bourbon nut. His bunker is quite the spectacle. Ive been dusty hunting with him for a few years. When he first started I tried to get into it as well. I enjoyed a few and still do but I ended up having a friend bring me back a bottle of Jameson Distillery Reserve from a trip she was on. She knew I was starting to get into bourbon and assumed, bourbon..Irish whiskey..same thing. After my first pour, I immediately gave up on bourbon and started trying as much Irish as I could.

Over my almost 10 years in the Army, Ive noticed 2 things about Soldiers and whiskey.
1. The average Soldier claims to "love whiskey", their favorite pours being either Jack Daniels, Makers, or Jameson.
2. For the average Soldier, Johnny Walker Blue is the be-all and en-all when it comes to whiskey.

I have tried to convince and encourage people to taste all whiskeys, learn as much as they can and find something they really enjoy...but most of the time they just want to get drunk :? Maybe I can start my own tradition though. Start a whiskey club or something.

Also, I just found out that Writer's Tears original is available in Canada (I live in Detroit so its an easy trip for me). I will making a trip over as soon as I get back to the states. I did not, however, see anything on the Cask strength being sold there. Do you by chance know if they released it in Canada or might have any plans to in the future? I keep hearing great things about them both (your recommendation included) and it would be great to aviod the international shipping if at all possible.
IrishintheUSA
New Spirit

Postby Pudge72 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 pm

IrishintheUSA wrote:Also, I just found out that Writer's Tears original is available in Canada (I live in Detroit so its an easy trip for me). I will making a trip over as soon as I get back to the states. I did not, however, see anything on the Cask strength being sold there. Do you by chance know if they released it in Canada or might have any plans to in the future? I keep hearing great things about them both (your recommendation included) and it would be great to aviod the international shipping if at all possible.

Only the original Writers has made it to Ontario (I don't know about the rest of the country), where it is marked as 'limited supply'. This usually, but not always, means that once the existing stock is sold out, it will be gone for good. It's the first time that WT has been carried in Ontario, so hopefully good sales (it is priced well) will mean it gets brought back in the future. Here's a link to the current inventory across Ontario:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/inventory/searchResults.do?language=EN&itemNumber=271106

If you cross at Detroit there are (currently) three Windsor stores that carry bottles. Whatever store you decide to go to, I would STRONGLY suggest that you call the specific store to confirm that they have stock for sale (as well, if they do have stock, a good location should set aside bottles for you for pick-up at the customer service desk...especially if you explain that you're coming in from a long distance which, depending on the wait times at the border, you may be!). Good luck with the acquisition when you get back! :thumbsup:

Not sure if the CS version is crossing the pond anytime soon, but I would definitely look to pick up a bottle if the price isn't too ridiculous, relative to the current bottling (i.e. anything over $75 - $80 would start to give me pause).

If you're a Scotch fan, there are a handful of distilleries that have comparable pricing to what is carried in the US, in Ontario (Auchentoshan, Bowmore, Glenfarclas off the top of my head). If you're a Glenfarclas fan, try to get the store where you get the Writer's Tears to transfer in a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 (I know the 15 is not available in the US, and it is likely the best offering in their line-up, making it a great value) for you to pick up at the same time. There should be no charge for the transfer, if stock is available elsewhere, especially since you will be spending over $130 for the two bottles.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby TallyB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Balvinie 14YO rum cask.
TallyB
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Acquired Midleton 2012,

Another for IWC junior No 2 ... That's them both sorted for their birth year Whiskey now unless I go for distilled versions on their year too in a few years.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 am

The first batch of Redbreast Cask Strength hit the shelves around the time our Edmund was born, so there's a couple in the cupboard for him. ;) We wet his head with Willie Napier so I`ve set one aside as well.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby matt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

A couple of Jameson St. Patrick`s Day 2013
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 pm

matt wrote:A couple of Jameson St. Patrick`s Day 2013

Hi Matt, saw a picture of them in passing ... Is the design different from the last 2 years?
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DublinGus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 am

Innishowen, Greenore 8 year old, Bushmill whiskey glasses.
DublinGus
Rundlet Cask

Postby Jobi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Acquired Midleton 2012,

Another for IWC junior No 2 ... That's them both sorted for their birth year Whiskey now unless I go for distilled versions on their year too in a few years.

I'm going this route as well with the MVR releases, but made the mistake of including nieces and nephews in the mix. #8 and #9 are due this year.
Jobi
New Spirit

Postby OldFashiodWhiskey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 am

Powers John's Lane 12

It's quite good, but still think I prefer the Redbreast 15. I'll have to keep working on it.
OldFashiodWhiskey
New Spirit

Postby bredman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 am

Another Powers John's Lane.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:48 am

OldFashiodWhiskey wrote:Powers John's Lane 12

It's quite good, but still think I prefer the Redbreast 15. I'll have to keep working on it.

Welcome. I admire your work. It's a hard one but worth the effort I hope.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby DublinGus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Just bought 3 bottles of the David Smith limitied edtion Jameson bottle for St .Patricks Day 2013, another good design this year.
DublinGus
Rundlet Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Here's a photo.

How many have been released now? Are they easy to locate?
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby DublinGus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:Here's a photo.

How many have been released now? Are they easy to locate?

AFAIK just 2 Paul Daly and David Smith, dont know of any Paul Daly bottles around, David Smith bottle is avaiable in Smithfield @ 27euros
DublinGus
Rundlet Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey