NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Postby SixCats! » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi all,

I just purchased another (what I consider) the "best bargain" Irish Whiskey (as well as the lowest priced) Irish Whiskey sold in the State of Maine, KILBEGGAN Irish Whiskey. I plan to set aside a few more bottles of (OLD label) Kilbeggan while the getting is good. It is my understanding that NEW label Kilbeggan Whiskey is totally different (read sub par) compared to the OLD label Kilbeggan .

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi there,

Sixcats, to be fair you should reserve judgement until you have tasted them side by side, I wouldn't be basing my purchasing decisions on one review.
It wouldn't be the first time that initial impressions were incorrect. I'll be waiting till I can taste both side by side and a few other reviews have come in. We don't even know yet if the blend has actually changed for sure (it is possible that it hasn't). Will be asking Cooley next opportunity I get,

In the meantime happy hunting...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby SixCats! » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:40 am

Hi WB,

I have to admit WB, you make a very good point. I SHOULD know better than to be influenced by a single negative review regardless of how well it was written. Heck, if I had listen to all the negative comments regarding the current OLD label Kilbeggan, I never would of tried this wonderful budget Whiskey. I SHOULD know by now that everybody has different taste. Heck, I might even prefer the NEW label Kilbeggan Whiskey so, point well taken. Well, I guess I'll just have to Pony up the money when NEW label Kilbeggan is available and do the only fair thing.....have a side by side taste test. It's a dangerous job but, somebody's got to do it!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Anyone tried the Danny Boy 15 yet? What's it like?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Not me. I know it's a 15yo Cooley but the bottle is soooo tacky I just can't bring myself to buy it. It's the sort of thing we used to try to sell to American's in the 50's.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby John » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:33 pm

In fairness John's post deserves a proper reply but I know what you mean Iain, I think I'll wait for their release of 'Top o' da mornin'' or maybe even 'Hauld yer whisht' :lol:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:50 pm

No, that was an adequate response. I kind of think the same.

I'd like to try it. It's not really designed for the home market, but good luck to him if he sells it.

Any new Irish whiskeys on the horizon?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:01 pm

There's been a wave of recent anouncements regarding Cooley's longer-aged releases; the Tullamore outlook looks good and the recent announcement from IDL relating to their wish to increase capacity at Midleton all bode very well in terms of what the consumer can expect in the medium term. Aside from those I can't really add anything else. Bushmills must surely be on the cusp of a press release of some description - it's eerily quiet up there! :D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 pm

The Midleton stuff sounds great. Usually these releases get held up. I wonder will we really see something in the spring.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:46 pm

John wrote:In fairness John's post deserves a proper reply but I know what you mean Iain, I think I'll wait for their release of 'Top o' da mornin'' or maybe even 'Hauld yer whisht' :lol:

True, I didn't mean to dismiss JohnM's question but the reality is I've no desire to purchase something that to me smacks of Paddywhackery. I just hope it's better than the Michael Collins which at least I managed to try in a bar and save myself forking out for a fancy bottle with a picture of an icon.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Yeah. I'd like it to be a success, all the same. The more Irish whiskey sold, the more they make.

If I buy a bottle, I'll give you a sup of it.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:44 pm

JohnM wrote:Yeah. I'd like it to be a success, all the same. The more Irish whiskey sold, the more they make.

If I buy a bottle, I'll give you a sup of it.

You're right of course. I'm probably just grumpy today. It happens sometimes. Even to me.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Dugarry » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 am

Just bought the below list last week, I have been saving all summer so that I can buy in bulk - better value that way with delivery cost.

Looking forward to delivery - I will be buying again at Christmas and I am looking for a few Irish whiskies to replace buying blends.

Whisky

3 x Laphroaig 10YO CS Batch 02
1x Lagavulin 16YO
1 x Caol Ila 12 YO
1 x Caol Ila CS
2 x Ardbeg 10 YO
1 x Ardbeg Uigeadail
1 x Balblair '97
2 xTalisker 10 YO
1x Black Bottle
1x Johnnie Walker Black Label

Bourbon
1x George T Stagg '09 (birthday present) :D

Rum
2 x Appleton 12 YO

On a side note, i always buy from the UK as its much cheaper but was in Cork today (as the missus was doing the mini marathon) and dropped into a certain off-license on Oliver Plunkett street and they were charging a crazy €64 for a standard 10 YO Laphroiag and €64 for 10 YO Talisker :shock:

I was in Killarney a few weeks back, bringing the young one to see Jedward, thought I would drop into Tesco on the way home - lucky I did - they had 2 bottles of 10 YO Laphroaig sitting on the shelf 'reduced to clear' - €15 each :lol:
I swooped them up and asked the guy working in the booze section if there was anymore - he told me that they only ever had 2 and they have been sitting there for the last 3-4 years or so. Couldnt believe it. Even the bottle caps were a different colour and the little leaflet inside was different.
I contacted Laphroaig direct as there was no pin number to earn my points and when I explained the bottle she laughed and said she hasnt seen one of them for a long time but she gave me the points anyway.
Seriously couldnt believe it - €15 on a lucky days shopping versus todays shock at €64 in Cork city.

By the way, there is a bottle of Connemara in Super Value that I have being eyeing up for the last 2 or 3 weeks - €31 - not sure to go for it as I am fairly broke from my last order - my gut is telling me to wait for the Turf Mor.
Dugarry
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Dugarry wrote:By the way, there is a bottle of Connemara in Super Value that I have being eyeing up for the last 2 or 3 weeks - €31 - not sure to go for it as I am fairly broke from my last order - my gut is telling me to wait for the Turf Mor.

Wait for the Turf Mór ... looks like your on a Peat fest ncurrently so you may as well stay i n that frame of mind until you mellow of your own accord ;)

Nice haul there with iminent delivery and what a lucky buy in Tesco's ... I wish I found a Tesco's like that.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby sipourit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:39 pm

I have just purchase a Laphroaig 12. I like its smokiness.
sipourit
New Spirit

Postby shanel23 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Just bought a bottle of standard Kilbeggan and a bottle of Tyrconnel - I really like the Tyrconnel . The other one is for the collection as did I hear somewhere that they were changing the label ? Either way I have one now :)
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Just back from a short trip to Scotland so picked up a few bits and pieces on the way over, there, and on the way back.

Redbreast 15
Bushmills 1608
Jameson RVR

Talisker 25yo
Tullibardine 1992 Sauternes Wood Finish
Ardmore Traditional Cask
Arran Pinot Noir Finish

And a couple of miniatures of the Century of Malt Vatted Malt
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:32 pm

IainB wrote:Just back from a short trip to Scotland so picked up a few bits and pieces on the way over, there, and on the way back.

Redbreast 15
Bushmills 1608
Jameson RVR

Talisker 25yo
Tullibardine 1992 Sauternes Wood Finish
Ardmore Traditional Cask
Arran Pinot Noir Finish

And a couple of miniatures of the Century of Malt Vatted Malt

Update - The Ardmore and the Tullibardine are yummy! :D
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm on my way...

Karuizawa 1977 31 Year Old Wait La Mazurka and Balblair 2000 1st Release are my latest buys. Highland Park St Magnus in the pipeline too.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:43 pm

IainB wrote:Just back from a short trip to Scotland so picked up a few bits and pieces on the way over, there, and on the way back.

Jameson RVR

Hi Iain, meant to ask this earlier but I was just wondering what the year of the RVR is? Have yet to see a 2008 or 2009

JohnM wrote:...Highland Park St Magnus in the pipeline too.

Where did you get this or is a friend sorting you out ... would love to get one ... I have a Magus Anniversary Festival (Ordinary oval bottle and label) and I also have last years version so would not mind adding this to the collection.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I per-ordered it here - http://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk/detai ... =104&path=

They'll also be hitting the shops soon, I think.

The other Magnus is a nice one to have. I haven't tried any of them yet. Supposed to be nice. I think there's one more edition to come out too.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:28 am

Hi IWC, Twas the 2007. I haven't seen any of the others either. I think it could be like the midleton - lots bottled in 07, then recession so lots of stock to clear before they release the later vintages.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Some more Anime Negra Cask Tyrconnell, and some 2009 and 2010 Midleton. I've been going a bit mad again lately. Time to ease off the buying for a while, I think.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby shanel23 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:10 am

Picked up a bottle of the wild geese and a bottle of the singleton of Dufftown 12 yr old malt.

Also found a great whiskey shop in Dusseldorf - a great range of Scottish and a more modest Irish selection but still a choice of over 20 different Irish offerings - pretty much the best I've seen outside of Ireland - There were a few Midleton VR 2006 , Merrys , loads of Bushmills offerings , Powers and a few of "O'Kanagan" . Will be dropping in there again :)
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:16 am

2 bottles of Midleton 2008
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey