NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Postby varizoltan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 pm

jcskinner wrote:According to Zoltan, the first distillation was at Riverstown, though.

that is what Brian said
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Like others said, it's really only a technicality, and one that doesn't necessarily apply in Ireland where we have no stringent rules regarding whiskey definitions.
Bottom line is whether it's good or not.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 pm

you missed it last night, but all who tasted it, liked it :thumbsup:

so i think i bought a great whiskey, from the first rotation, from the old pot still from Kilbeggan, which come back to life and making history, and i hope it never stops again.

how can i go wrong with this whiskey ;)
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 pm

If a whiskey's good, I don't care what it's termed. Single malt, blend, pps, bourbon, whatever.
This is getting good reports, and while I'd be keen to try it on my own palate, I trust the opinions of others too.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 am

jcskinner wrote:According to Zoltan, the first distillation was at Riverstown, though.

Possibly for the first years run but even so I thought it was just the wort that was brought down and it was then twice distilled in the old mini pot still but someone may be abe to confirm or deny that. WOuld be good to know either way.

Any way popped into Obriens tonight and relieved them of 2 bottles of Jameson 12yo @ €25.99 it would of been rude of me to do anything less ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby cathach » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 am

Powers & Connemara Single Malt

Not to divert this thread too much, but where exactly is the information about buying casks of Cooley? I know myself I'd love the opportunity to get a half barrel or the like of Connemara for instance. especially the quality (and cost of the 16/17yo single casks). Or a quarter of the Kilbeggan like Zoltan as the older Tyrconnel is absolutely gorgeous stuff.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby shanel23 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Bought a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 10yr old at the weekend to broaden my horizons in other whiskies . Figured I'd start with my first Japanese one .
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:17 pm

shanel23 wrote:Bought a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 10yr old at the weekend to broaden my horizons in other whiskies . Figured I'd start with my first Japanese one .

you can taste 6 japanese whisky at the may tasting too!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm

a bottle of Midleton very rare for 70 euros :shock:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Where did you find that deal Zoltan :shock:
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:59 pm

John wrote:Where did you find that deal Zoltan :shock:
J.

ebay.ie
delivered to my doorstep :thumbsup:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby BrianH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Don't think many people will have tried this one. Bruchladdich Octomore Orpheus, 61%, 140 ppm phenol. It's not my fault, Michael at the CWS told me it'd be a collector's item and there were only 6 bottles available. Naturally it'll never be collected in my house!

Anyway, on to the whisky. Supposedly finished in casks from Chateau Petrus, one of the most expensive wines ever. Immediately reminded me of the Connemara 17 year old Single Cask I have. (Even though that's only 46%). I was never very good at describing whiskies but I will have to thank Michael. (For persuading me to buy it!) I've always liked sherry/wine finished whiskies and it took me a while, but I did eventually get into the peaty/smokey scotches. With a little water, this thing is just unbelievable! A little sweet, but the peat more than knocks that for 6! So, for a whisky with a phenol count of 140 ppm, I guess you could say it's a little less rough than you'd expect. Personally, I think it's the wine casks that did that. But they really finished it off nicely!!

Maybe if someone like Adrian or JC tastes it, they can give a better description, but I could just drink this all night. Which is rather unfortunate, considering it's rather limited and costs 100 euro a bottle. Anyway, there you have it. My latest acquisition.
BrianH
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Nice buy Brian, sounds like your enjoying it too ...

However there has been a few negatives about the Octomore releases.

Horrendously over priced for such a young whiskey due to it's so called "collectablity" and the peatyness eventhough has been hearalded at 140 ppm has no more peat punch than Ardbeg which is around 55ppm or Laphroaig which is around 40ppm.

However if it is a nice whisky that is all that counts at the end of the day as sometimes too much talk about this that and the other actually over shadows the whisky in the end....

Got a couple Ballydoyles today myself. Will be interesting if this is any good.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby BrianH » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Have to agree with you on 3 counts, Adrian.

1. Yes, it is horrendously overpriced for a 5 year old whiskey, no matter what the peat levels.
2. Yes, I was expecting a hell of a bigger peat 'hit' than the one I got.
3. Yes, I'm enjoying it enormously, so who really cares about 1 and 2 above!

Brian
BrianH
New Spirit

Postby jcskinner » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:06 pm

I have the Octomore 2 in the house, but I haven't opened it, so I can't really comment. I imagine the Orpheus might be a little more interesting, what with its time in some wine casks.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Thu May 06, 2010 12:46 am

just bought a cask of 17.5 years old Tyrconnell single malt single cask, and bottled it myself at Cooley ;)
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 am

varizoltan wrote:just bought a cask of 17.5 years old Tyrconnell single malt single cask, and bottled it myself at Cooley ;)

Congrats Zoli ... enjoy :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Fionnán » Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Has anyone had the Distiller's Edition Talisker? I've had more than a few of the Classic Malts distiller's edition finishes and i think this one outstrips the others by a massive margin. Its got a kind of musky dark chocolate sweetness that i've never seen in Talisker along with a baseline of the familiar Talisker 'pepper n' peat' profile. I just bought a bottle of it and really love it and i'm hoping someone out there loves it as much as i do so we can grin at eachother over the internet.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Never had the DE Talisker, but would love to given my reaction to the DE Lagavulin (spectacular).
A smokey whiskey, which I'm normally not a fan of, but tremendously impressive. I suspect the Talisker wouldn't let the team down.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I've had one or two bottles and yes I agree, it's a great whisky. In fact the Lagavulin, Caol Ila and Talisker DEs are all great great whiskies that really do add something to the standard expressions. Not better per se, especially in the case of Lagavulin, but different enough to be worth shelling out for. I've also got the Clynelish, Oban and Cragganmore ones open and, IMO, these are much better than the standard expressions.

So yes, I can grin back at the Talisker DE. :D :D
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 pm

I've had some corking Caol Islas recently. LOVED the 12 yo, smokey as a campfire pit though it may be, when I took one on tour on holiday recently.
But that DE is something else too. The DE Talisker is now looking like a compulsory purchase.
Dammit, I'm trying to save to go to Hungary and here ye are tempting me to buy Diageo DE's!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 pm

I would agree with you Iain ... these DE expressions have definately something extra but as you say not neccessairly better just different.

I've had the Laga, Tali & Coal Ila DEs and really liked them but certainly mood whiskies as they can be a bit too sweet at times. The Laga you could nearly pour over your ice cream 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 pm

jcskinner wrote:I've had some corking Caol Islas recently. LOVED the 12 yo, smokey as a campfire pit though it may be, when I took one on tour on holiday recently.
But that DE is something else too. The DE Talisker is now looking like a compulsory purchase.
Dammit, I'm trying to save to go to Hungary and here ye are tempting me to buy Diageo DE's!

You can probably but them cheaper in Hungary. Z probably has a case stored away somewhere!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Thu May 20, 2010 12:02 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote: The Laga you could nearly pour over your ice cream 8-)

Didn't you previously suggest I do just that?
I did, you know. And it was absolutely epic!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu May 20, 2010 12:10 am

jcskinner wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote: The Laga you could nearly pour over your ice cream 8-)

Didn't you previously suggest I do just that?
I did, you know. And it was absolutely epic!

:lol: must have imbibed a bit too much seems I'm repeating myself

Anyway my latest purchase is Irish Whiskey by E.B. Maguire.

A bargain from an Amazon seller. Under 10quid for an original first edition .... I've seen these go for significantly more.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey