NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What's your latest whiskey purchase?

Postby ssascott » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 am

Okay, to update I tried with a few drops of water. Took away the harshness and opened up some caramel apple flavors. Still not a $100 bottle but definitely more enjoyable.
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 pm

I find it amazing how some of these so called collectable Irish whiskeys have a cheek in charging such premiums for what often is very ordinary whiskey.

It will very interesting to see where this so called premium market goes once we have 20 odd distilleries offering all their collectable or limited whiskies all the while there seems to be very few looking to create a decent entry range. I just get the feeling a lot of brands are looking past the bread and butter offerings and going straight to premium which in my opinion may be a mistake. Really should create an even range I say, although maybe it's a case they have to start high and work backwards I don't know but there is a very scarce range of quality Irish @ €40 or under coming from new sources.

Irishman/Writers Tears is an excellent example of where brands should be heading, carving out an identity and offering a strong quality product. Teelings are another and even West Cork seem to also be working hard on their brand with a keenly priced 10yo single malt under €40.

I know I vote with my wallet but I suppose all we can do is watch this space.

Anyway of late I've purchased

Method and Madness Single Malt
Method and Madness Single grain
Chapter 7 Single Malt Sherry cask which is a little gem
And bargain of the month Jim Beam for €18 in tesco a couple weeks ago ;-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby ssascott » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:10 pm

I find it amazing how some of these so called collectable Irish whiskeys have a cheek in charging such premiums for what often is very ordinary whiskey.

Amen!

On an "it's probably totally with it" note, I ordered a bottle of Connemara Turf Mor this morning. I've always wanted to try that. Glad it's back!
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 pm

2 bottles of the Laphroaig Cairdeaas which this year is a specially created Cask Strength Quarter Cask.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Rick M. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:57 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:2 bottles of the Laphroaig Cairdeaas which this year is a specially created Cask Strength Quarter Cask.

Will you please post a comment when you try this? I won't get a chance to try it before a spirits festival here in November. I loved last year's madiera finished version.
Rick M.
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Rick M. wrote:
Will you please post a comment when you try this? I won't get a chance to try it before a spirits festival here in November. I loved last year's madiera finished version.

I sure will, have already opened one but have not had time to dissect it.

Just back from a trip and got the following,

A trio of Jameson's Blenders-Dog, Coopers Croze and Distillers Safe.

Nice little presentation pack of 3 x 20cl at the same price as one full bottle. Had these to try while I was away and to be honest was not blown away by them. All nice whiskies but that is the problem that is all they were ... nice, just for me slightly bland. I wouldn't mind another set to keep though but did not think of it at the time. On the way home I got a JAMESON Bold, Johnnie Walker Gold and a Talisker dark storm.

The Jameson Bold is a better whiskey for me than the previously mentioned Jameson's but need to visit it again, not as much spice that I was expecting as per description so hopefully will be better next time. But for the price a serious bargain compared to the previous trio.

J Walker not opened yet but usually fairly spot on, was looking for JW Green but could not spot it.

Talisker Dark Storm was again not as big as I was hoping for but again need to revisit this. Have not had a Tailsker in my selection in a while but it seems for me the 10 is still the best for spiciness/pepper.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby MnIrishIce » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am

I have been building my Irish whiskey supply for about 3 years now(for collection and consumption).... As I am in the States(Minnesota) , my options are not as open as I would like them to be, so for the time being I'm am focusing primarily on products from the Middleton Distillery. I've bought quite a few since my start with the most recent being Middleton VR 2017, 3 now hard to find bottles of Jameson 12, 1 bottle of Jameson Caskmates Young Henry Edition(ordered from Australia) and 2 bottles of Jameson Caskmates Angel City Brewing Edition. I have my eyes on the new Caskmates IPA Edition which just made it to the States(Though I only found it out of state) and the new Green Spot Montelena
MnIrishIce
New Spirit

Postby ssascott » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Finally got around to picking up a bottle of the Teeling Single Grain. I liked it! Upon first sip it was kind of strange. There was nothing at first, then a rush of flavours. It wasn’t my first nor last dram of the evening, so I have no detailed list of said flavours...

Not sure if I’d drink a lot of this at $45 a bottle, but I’d keep it on hand.
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby ssascott » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:57 pm

MnIrishIce wrote:I have been building my Irish whiskey supply for about 3 years now(for collection and consumption).... As I am in the States(Minnesota) , my options are not as open as I would like them to be, so for the time being I'm am focusing primarily on products from the Middleton Distillery. I've bought quite a few since my start with the most recent being Middleton VR 2017, 3 now hard to find bottles of Jameson 12, 1 bottle of Jameson Caskmates Young Henry Edition(ordered from Australia) and 2 bottles of Jameson Caskmates Angel City Brewing Edition. I have my eyes on the new Caskmates IPA Edition which just made it to the States(Though I only found it out of state) and the new Green Spot Montelena

Being in Minnesota, you do have some interesting options that most of us don’t share. There is an importer that buys Irish whiskey and sells it under myriad labels. Now this is entry level stuff, but I’ve never had a bad Irish whiskey. So this is stuff you can pick up cheap and pad the collection. Brands like Malloye, Kinsale, Wolfhound and Kavanaugh (several iterations on this one. Most of the people I know don’t know the difference between brands.
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Previous

Return to Whiskey