NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Bourbon Suggestions

Let's talk whiskey.

Bourbon Suggestions

Postby Luke Gough » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 am

I'll be passing through Atlanta GA in about a weeks time.

Any suggestions re a really good Bourbon to sample/bring back?
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Re: Bourbon Suggestions

Postby John » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Woodford Reserve or Maker's Mark always have a place in the cabinet as far as I'm concerned!
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Luke

Not a bourbon, but this is supposed to be stunning http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2009/08/21 ... -year-old/

Regards

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:07 am

If you see any of the special edition Buffalo Trace's.

George T Stagg
Sazerac Rye
William L Weller

The William L Weller I had was a cracker and beat the over hyped George T Stagg but GTS is an interesting one too. Unfortunately did not get a bottle of te Sazerac

ImageImageImage
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Luke Gough » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Cheers for that! I already have a bottle of George T Stagg (71.4% ABV!) but my heart is set on a bottle of William Larue Weller!
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:54 pm

JohnM wrote:Luke

Not a bourbon, but this is supposed to be stunning http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2009/08/21 ... -year-old/

Regards

John

I have a Rittenhouse 21 which is stunning, but for my money the Sazerac 18 is a better bet. The thing about bourbon and rye is it's down to the percentage of various grains in the mashbill so you can have a rye that tastes much closer to a bourbon than to other ryes. To me the Rittenhouse tastes more on the bourbon end of the spectrum and so for something more unusual I'd go for the Sazerac.

On the bourbon front if you can get an Evan Williams single barrell, I think this is a good staging point from Irish / Scotch to bourbon - the heavy wood / vanilla thing is more understated than other bourbons I've tried.
IainB
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey