NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whiskeys to buy and keep.

Let's talk whiskey.

Whiskeys to buy and keep.

Postby BarryAzza » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi,

Been lurking on this site for a good while now but never posted before.

Looking for some advice on Whiskeys to buy and keep. I would like to be able to buy 2 or 3 and keep them for a few years and then sell one or two and then be able to enjoy the other bottle for "free" as such.

What Whiskeys would people advise ? (My budget wouldnt be too big either to be honest)

I bought a couple of bottles of Greenore before it went off the shelves and a couple of bottles of Redbreast Mano a Lamh but thats the extent of it really.

Im not looking to make money from it, just be able to buy a couple of nice bottles which I could enjoy in a few years time.

Thanks in advance,
Barry.
BarryAzza
New Spirit

Re: Whiskeys to buy and keep.

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:14 am

Sorry Barry I only seen this post.

It's a guessing game or a gamble at least. I think the Jameson Caskmates may be good.
I will certainly be buying Jameson 12&18's before they disappear.

There are a few Jameson Select Reserves out there with Small Batch instead of Black Barrel in off licences that may gain value in time.

I'd get a Writers Tears before the change the labels.

Kilbeggan 18 & 21's may be good too.

Old Redbreast & Green Spots will always make good investments.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby birdman1099 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 pm

heck, that Mano a lamh is already up to £250 at auction
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby BarryAzza » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:55 pm

I didnt know the Jameson 18 year old going. My great uncle told me about the 12 being discontinued though. Any idea when these will happen ?

I have a few to look up about now anyways. Thanks Good Whiskey Hunting.

Yeah that was a once off though maybe ? I looked through the rest and all sold for between £75-£90 or so. I have no idea why the bidding went so high on that particular bottle.
BarryAzza
New Spirit

Postby pigs nose » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Just remember that if you sell later on you will be selling less than for retail prices. Logically if you had a bottle that I could get in the shops for €100, id only pay you €80 because of the convenience and security of buying from a retailer.

Im not sure any of my whiskies would sell for significantly more than what I paid for them, but I suppose I get some satisfaction from knowing that there are whiskies for sale today that were less when i bought them etc.

That said, some whiskies are very much in demand and command a premium a few years later. My advice is dont spend any money you cant afford to lose, and dont buy any bottle of whiskey you wouldnt drink and enjoy yourself
pigs nose
New Spirit

Postby birdman1099 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:02 pm

pigs nose wrote:. My advice is dont spend any money you cant afford to lose, and dont buy any bottle of whiskey you wouldnt drink and enjoy yourself

sage advice.....
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Irish whiskey is different to Scotch because there are relatively few collectors, but more and more seem to be getting into it. Once the relatively few collectors are satisfied, the price can drop right back.

If you are not confining yourself to Irish, Littlemill is a good bet. It is lovely and 'good value' compared to other closed distilleries...

Or you could try something like a Yoici or a Miyagikyo with an age statement.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby BarryAzza » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 am

I think you might have missed the point slightly pigs nose.

Id be looking to buy things that will appreciate in value, not depreciate. Limited editions and bottles that would be soon discontinued. These will attract (hopefully) a premium in years to come and wouldnt be available to buy in the retailers. I wouldnt be buying a standard bottle of redbreast 12 year old per se.

Thanks JohnM, I will have a look into them. From the bit of research i've done, it seems that some japanese whiskeys prices go through the roof because of the limited quantities available.
BarryAzza
New Spirit

Postby pigs nose » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:10 pm

What I mean is this:

I have a bottle of the old green bottle greenspot that I paid about €40 for. A newer bottle would cost about €60 in the shops. As a collectors item, some might say its worth €70-90. Maybe CWS or someone would price it at €100. But if I were to sell it to CWS or to someone else, Id be lucky to get €50 for it.

So if my friend says shed like to try the old greenspot, we can crack it open and say how its "worth" €100. But in reality I couldnt just walk into a shop and sell it for that. Added to that there are problems with selling spirits wihout a licence etc.

Likewise, if I wanted a second bottle to replace the one we drank, even though its "worth" €100, I wouldnt pay that because, for all I know, he seller has taken an old bottle, filled it with paddy and resealed it.

Im not saying your plan wont work, and there are some great stories about people buying bottles of baileys whiskey for £20 and selling them for a grand a few years later etc. But those are very rare exceptions.

Again just in my view! Ive toyed in the past with the idea of selling a few bottles and of buying colectibles off individuals (as opposed to retailers, auctions etc) but usually Ive decided against it.

If, notwithstanding the above, you do want to proceed, the best bets are first editions from a distillery, editions about to be discontinued, distilleries that have closed, once off for special events e.g. royal marriages etc.
pigs nose
New Spirit

Postby goalong » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:36 am

any good? never tried one irish whisky
goalong
New Spirit

Postby Raven » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:24 am

Why not go along & troll somewhere else so
as It's an Irish Whiskey website :?:
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:28 am

Raven wrote:Why not go along & troll somewhere else so
as It's an Irish Whiskey website :?:

I think goaling isn't interested in Irish whiskey too, hoping someone will click the link under the post. It's removed just to be sure.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey