NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Recommendation needed: a more delicate scotch

Let's talk whiskey.

Recommendation needed: a more delicate scotch

Postby Wilson_smyth » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 am

My collection is pretty simple, mostly Irish pot stills with a couple of smoky scotches. I want to start playing with some non smoky scotches, something thats a little less rich than all the pot stills and something without smoke.

Ive tried Glenfiddich 12 and wasnt too impressed, found it "starchy", with an aftertaste kind of like the taste you get from potcheen, tasted much younger than its 12 years. Also tried Glenmorangie 10 and thought it was not bad, but think i need to try another sample to know what i think for sure.

Would like some recommendations in the 40-70 euro price range on some lighter scotches. Something a little more in line with the bushmills 16, but also with its own flavour and character.
Thanks for any help.

current collection is:
Jameson Caskmates
Jameson Black Barrell
Powers John Lane Signature.
Ardbeg 10
Lagavulin 16
Bushmills 16

I want
Wilson_smyth
New Spirit

Re: Recommendation needed: a more delicate scotch

Postby birdman1099 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Give Balvenie Doublewood a shot. It has a nice Butter and honey taste with splash of dark stewed fruits.
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:10 pm

I always like Talisker. It never disappointed me. It's easy to track down too. The Macallan and Scapa are great.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby birdman1099 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:I always like Talisker. It never disappointed me. It's easy to track down too. The Macallan and Scapa are great.

Whilst I love a good Tali, the OP was requesting a non smokey Scotch.

The Macallan's are great.
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby Seamus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:05 pm

birdman1099 wrote:Give Balvenie Doublewood a shot. It has a nice Butter and honey taste with splash of dark stewed fruits.

Balvenie Doublewood was the first suggestion that came to my mind as well. Maybe consider Deanston?
Seamus
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Balvenie Doublewood is a good suggestion

Also the following should be okay to try

Aberlour 10yo

Auchentoshan Three Wood

Although this next one has a touch of smoke it is not in anyway over powering or aggressive and I always thought Dalwhinnie 15yo was a lovely approachable whiskey, have not had it in a long time though. Honey and heather and soft.

And also as already mentioned some Macallans
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Alicja » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Glendronach 12 or 15 Revival. Dahlwhinnie 15 - floral and a bit too sweet for me, but anyway worth to try. Dailuaine 16 f&f, abunadh. Id go for one of this.
Alicja
Quarter Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:10 pm

As well as some of those already mentioned, I think Glengoyne, Macallan Fine Oak, Glenkinchie and Bunnahabhain.

Not sure if you want the sherry influence if you want the scotch delicate. These can have the sherry influence that Bushmills has too.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Wilson_smyth » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks for the help all. Some good recommendations. Unfortunately most were unavailable for tasting in the Celtic Whiskey Shop. Going to see about trying a few in the Palace or Brooks over the next while though.

I did however end up getting the Arran 14, which hit the spot nicely. Sweet, but not overly sweet, more dried fruit than sweet fresh fruit, and a floral hint. also a hint of honey and beef/steak, but that may be only in my head. Anyway, its delicious, Defo something for after dinner.

I also couldnt help myself and also got the Green Spot Chateaux Leoville Barton. I got it as i like Green Spot and i heard this was Green spot but with a littlle more depth and a little edge taken off. Its delicious, but its worlds apart from regular Green Spot, much smoother, much more nuanced. If it wasnt for the bottle you would say its a completely different whiskey, and not a special edition of an established product. Also fantastically delicious!

Thats me done buying for a month or two!
Wilson_smyth
New Spirit

Return to Whiskey