NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Dating Whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

Dating Whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Any hints or tips on how to date old bottles please post them here.

I'll start ....

A list of British Monarchs that may or may not help. Don't think anybody would be lucky enough to get anything pre Queen Victoria.

Victoria (1837-1901)
Edward VII (1901-10)
George V (1910-36)
Edward VIII (1936) the King that never became King
George VI (1936-52)
Elizabeth II (1952-present)

Some Bottles of Irish have been labeled with the "Irish Free state" 1922 - 1937

US bottles.

In the US Tariff Act of 1930 it stipulates that a country of origin mark has to be placed on all imports. The Country of origin mark has to be in English and in the form of “Made In ********” where ******* is the country’s name.

I would like clarification on the date of the Act and whether there was anything prior? But could be very useful in identifying pre & post prohibition bottle of Whiskey as the act was passed during prohibition (1920-1933).
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Dating Whiskey

Postby John » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:14 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Any hints or tips on how to date old bottles please post them here.

Soft lighting, mood music, chocolates...............

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

Perhaps researching with either the Revenue Commissioners or the Inland Revenue as to what duty was extracted from what distilleries for each product - I'm sure they would keep a record of that? The receipt dates would help in determining what bottles were on the market at any given date I would imagine?

J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey