NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Jameson Black Barrel Cask Strength

Let's talk whiskey.

Jameson Black Barrel Cask Strength

Postby Raven » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Jameson experience has a new product exclusive to Midleton ( In The Dublin one as well ?? ).
You can fill your own bottle direct from the cask and write out label etc. Costing 100 euro per
bottle it certainly makes for a special gift for a significant birthday or suchlike. Great idea and
already looks to be already popular with the American visitors as it is something special to bring
back Stateside.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Re: Jameson Black Barrel Cask Strength

Postby John » Fri May 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Sounds nice Raven, but honestly I can't help but think that IDL are starting to price themselves out of the market. Their retail prices seem to be out of kilter with much of the competition. A round €100 for a Jameson Black Barrel release filled from the cask (does that mean cask strength?), is a case in point; never mind the €260 price tag on the Dair Ghaelach (which comes in a cardboard frame :shock: )!!
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Raven » Fri May 01, 2015 7:39 pm

I agree with what you say but there is some modicum of reality to the Black Barrel price as it is a cask
strength.

The Dair Ghaelach price is nonsensical by comparison. The marketing seems totally over the top as well
as going by the CWS website there are ' 6 expressions' not different years but each cask being made
from a different tree ( Mind you the same species of Oak and from the same forest ). Is there something
I'm not getting ??? The marketing people seem to be taking over from the Distillers !!
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby birdman1099 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Raven wrote:I agree with what you say but there is some modicum of reality to the Black Barrel price as it is a cask
strength.

The Dair Ghaelach price is nonsensical by comparison. The marketing seems totally over the top as well
as going by the CWS website there are ' 6 expressions' not different years but each cask being made
from a different tree ( Mind you the same species of Oak and from the same forest ). Is there something
I'm not getting ??? The marketing people seem to be taking over from the Distillers !!

the "different casks from different Tree's" was actually done by Buffalo Trace a few years back. The Single Oak Project. It was basically an experiment that was funded through product sales and marketing. Midleton is not doing the exact same thing, but it is a way to entice customers to buy several bottles as opposed to just one.
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby birdman1099 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Raven wrote:Jameson experience has a new product exclusive to Midleton ( In The Dublin one as well ?? ).
You can fill your own bottle direct from the cask and write out label etc. Costing 100 euro per
bottle it certainly makes for a special gift for a significant birthday or suchlike. Great idea and
already looks to be already popular with the American visitors as it is something special to bring
back Stateside.

I would definitely get one....
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby JohnM » Sat May 02, 2015 12:46 am

birdman1099 wrote:
Raven wrote:I agree with what you say but there is some modicum of reality to the Black Barrel price as it is a cask
strength.

the "different casks from different Tree's" was actually done by Buffalo Trace a few years back. The Single Oak Project. It was basically an experiment that was funded through product sales and marketing. Midleton is not doing the exact same thing, but it is a way to entice customers to buy several bottles as opposed to just one.

The buffalo trace casks were even from different parts of the tree...

The Black Barrel is cask strength and is actually very good. In my opinion anyway.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby birdman1099 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 am

JohnM wrote:
The Black Barrel is cask strength and is actually very good. In my opinion anyway.

enough of the small talk. In Search Of Black Barrel Cask Strength. bd)
birdman1099
Quarter Cask

Postby John » Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Just confirmed; cask strength for sure. Current one is coming in at 59% and is in fact the third cask in the series, since March 12 believe it or not! So obviously very popular! :)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu May 07, 2015 10:20 am

It's the same price no matter what the abv happens to be. So the higher the abv of the particular batch, the better the value, kind of.

It's also kept in an actual barrel. In other distilleries, it is just tapped through an empty barrel.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey