NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Flog It

Let's talk whiskey.

Flog It

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Just watching Flog It on BBC and they had a Bushmills Millennium 1975 on the show and took it to auction.

Bottled specially for UTV

Estimate of £40-50

Sold for £80.00

Which is probably around right for this bottle at auction.

Good to see an Irish Whiskey on one of the TV auction programmes.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Flog It

Postby JohnM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 am

It would be nice to be able to get them at £80. This month's auction at McTears saw three of these bottles all go for £100, £100 and £105 respectively, before the 20% commission goes on too.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 am

JohnM wrote:It would be nice to be able to get them at £80. This month's auction at McTears saw three of these bottles all go for £100, £100 and £105 respectively, before the 20% commission goes on too.

I must be losing it in my old age ... went through the Catalogue before and after the auction and never saw them :roll:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:35 pm

You used to be able to get them for about €80. Postage on top, of course. Those were the days.
And you could have bought a whole cask for £5,000, including taxes. A very handy deal.

I bought several for about €40-45 too. They were drank, passed on a few and gave a few away as table quiz raffle prizes. Won by people who didn't even like whskey, probably.

The last few I bought were all more expensive. Still great value, though.

I think it's a lovely whiskey. My favourite Bushmills so far. Although I'm not sure all the casks were great.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm

JohnM wrote:
I think it's a lovely whiskey. My favourite Bushmills so far. Although I'm not sure all the casks were great.

The first one I opened was great but the one I currently have open is very dissappointing. A real perfumey quality to it which I believe some Bowmore's used to suffer from too. Something to do with sherry casks but can't remember what causes it. Just shows you the risks of buying a cask and not knowing what the end product will be.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey