NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

The Art of Distillation and Rectification

Let's talk whiskey.

The Art of Distillation and Rectification

Postby JohnM » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 am

Bought this today. Looks interesting... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... tsupported
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: The Art of Distillation and Rectification

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Starting a little cottage industry ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:28 pm

It does sound like a good read. I'll have a bottle of your best cinnamon cordial when you are up and running, please.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Always wanted to have a good at distilling my own, but sadly it is not legal in this jurisdiction. I believe only New Zealand permits home distilling.
There are places like Loch Ewe that let you distill your own batch, but that's not really what I had in mind.
However, all the equipment to distil is freely available and there is plenty of how-to info online. Perhaps I might emigrate to New Zealand and give it a go sometime.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:54 pm

I think in Germany you can distil schaps for home use too but not 100% on that ... would be great though if we could do it though :(
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Is there a scientific exemption? It must be possible to try out techniques as long as you are not producing anything for consumption. At least I'm sure I distilled stuff in school and at university.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:16 pm

I don't think distilling is the crime so much as possession of illicit spirit or having it for sale.
So by that rationale, one could distill as much as one wants, so long as it's all thrown down the drain immediately afterwards.
Illicit Distillation Act 1831 and Intoxicating Liquor Act 1924 seem to be the relevant legislation.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby cathach » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 pm

jcskinner wrote:Always wanted to have a good at distilling my own, but sadly it is not legal in this jurisdiction. I believe only New Zealand permits home distilling.
There are places like Loch Ewe that let you distill your own batch, but that's not really what I had in mind.
However, all the equipment to distil is freely available and there is plenty of how-to info online. Perhaps I might emigrate to New Zealand and give it a go sometime.

And a very hearty 'pshaw' to that proviso!!!
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:03 pm

I will just be doing the odd bit of distilling to fund my new forging press. And I'll buy guns with the money I print.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:20 pm

I presume you'll use the guns to guard the nuclear weapons you're smuggling to "rogue" states.

You realise we've now just popped up on whatever system the cia use to monitor internet traffic!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:38 pm

IainB wrote:I presume you'll use the guns to guard the nuclear weapons you're smuggling to "rogue" states.

You realise we've now just popped up on whatever system the cia use to monitor internet traffic!

I dont want to "BOMB" on you parade ... but no "AL Quaeda" cells here .... so "Barack Obama" is safe ....

;)

Any exposure is good :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 pm

it may not match in to here but i heard that kids can sleep ok at night, Jacko is dead
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey