NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Vary Rare 3 Wood Spanish Irish Whiskey

Let's talk whiskey.

Vary Rare 3 Wood Spanish Irish Whiskey

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Guys,
Just got given an interesting very rare limited edition expression from my Jameson rep here in Spain.Its Jameson stock that was transported in bulk to be bottled in Spain.But their was an accident and the whiskey that was saved was placed in Navarra Wine Casks and matured for a further 9 years.So apart from the origional vat being matured in Burbon and Sherry,making this a 3 wood.The wine casks were from Palacio de la Vega and the casks were matured in the town of Manzanares.The bottle is sealed and for my collection so i cant give a taste profile but as the bottle is clear it has a georgous dark amber old gold colour.The bottles were given to staff etc and yours truly.
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Re: Vary Rare 3 Wood Spanish Irish Whiskey

Postby DavidH » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 am

That's a true one-off! Any chance of a photo of the labelling?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 am

Whiskey Pilgrim wrote:Hi Guys,
Just got given an interesting very rare limited edition expression from my Jameson rep here in Spain.Its Jameson stock that was transported in bulk to be bottled in Spain.But their was an accident and the whiskey that was saved was placed in Navarra Wine Casks and matured for a further 9 years.So apart from the origional vat being matured in Burbon and Sherry,making this a 3 wood.The wine casks were from Palacio de la Vega and the casks were matured in the town of Manzanares.The bottle is sealed and for my collection so i cant give a taste profile but as the bottle is clear it has a georgous dark amber old gold colour.The bottles were given to staff etc and yours truly.

Sounds very interesting. Can you post a picture?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:20 am

I suppose it can be called Jameson but not Irish whiskey, as it was not matured in Ireland. That makes it even more interesting.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Whiskey Pilgrim,
Did any of the remaining yield go on general sale at all or were there just a very small number of bottles?
Thanks,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Well the incomming whiskey was made produced distilled and matured in Ireland for between 3 - 7 years in Burbon&sherry casks,but due to a mishap with the transport vats they decided to slavage the whiskey by placing it in Spanish oak barrels for nine years,so it is Irish ,but more of a fusion or hybred a real "whiskey geese" expression.
None have or will go on general sale or duty free sales,the resulting bottles were distributed to staff,friends etc..i was luck to get a bottle.
As its for my c ollection i cant give a taste profile but its in a clear bottle and has a rich dark golden amber..will get a photo organized soon,Slain/Adios/Agur...slainte !!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 pm

All very interesting.

Excellent and thanks for posting ... Look forward to seeing a picture :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:25 am

Whiskey Pilgrim wrote:Well the incomming whiskey was made produced distilled and matured in Ireland for between 3 - 7 years in Burbon&sherry casks,but due to a mishap with the transport vats they decided to slavage the whiskey by placing it in Spanish oak barrels for nine years,so it is Irish ,but more of a fusion or hybred a real "whiskey geese" expression.
None have or will go on general sale or duty free sales,the resulting bottles were distributed to staff,friends etc..i was luck to get a bottle.
As its for my c ollection i cant give a taste profile but its in a clear bottle and has a rich dark golden amber..will get a photo organized soon,Slain/Adios/Agur...slainte !!

Actually, now that I think if it, it is irish whiskey, but if the law in Ireland is anything like that in Scotland (which it probably isn't), it could only be called a three-year-old.

Lammerlaw sold some barrels of whisky to Cadenhead. They imported them to scotland at 12 yrs old, but no matter how long they matured after being exported, it could only be called a 12 year old.

Look forward to seeing the picture.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Hi Chicos,
Thanks John for that info on how Exported whisk(e)y can be viewed..thats the kind of info i´m looking for..i was hoping a bottle like this would be an interesting spanner in the works,,to get the aul grey matter a clunking..
Speaking of Grey Matter..mine is not working the best..ie i cant seem to post photos,so i will send to one of the members e mail as an attacthment..Slain,

Henderson visit 045.jpg
Jameson Navarra Cask
Henderson visit 045.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Whiskey Pilgrim wrote:Hi Chicos,
Speaking of Grey Matter..mine is not working the best..ie i cant seem to post photos,so i will send to one of the members e mail as an attacthment..Slain,

Hey pilgrim ... when your in your new post ... underneat the text box you'll see 2 tabs. Options & Upload attachment, You can click on the upload attachment tab.

You'll see a box filename on the left and a Browse button to click.

Using this browse button you can search through the files on your computer. Once you get the right one click on Add File button.

Once that is done you will see a slightly different menu and a button that says Add inline.

Click on the text box again to place the cursor where you want you picture to be then click on the Place inline button.

Submit and bobs your uncle
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Kaixo Guys,
Thanks Adrian for posting the photo..i sent you two photos,the bottle only came with the white one with the story written in Spanish,but i felt it did'nt do justice to the bottle so i got this green one organized,as its not a numbered limited or age statement ie 12yr etc or vintage ie dated by year,i felt it only acurrate to call it very rare..the vat 9 refers to the 9 years vatted and matured in the Spanish Oak casks from the Navarra wine region.
all the best,
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 pm

My spanish is crap but here ya go ....

Henderson visit 042.jpg
Henderson visit 042.jpg (63.16 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Gracias Adrian yer the man,
i'm two tired to translate now..get the au pair,,
in the mean time check out the top,its the typical Spanish seal type nozzell,including the obligatory Spanish duty spirit paper seal..
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey