NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Clare Whiskey Bars

Let's talk whiskey.

Clare Whiskey Bars

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Did a blast through the Clare whiskey bars mentioned in Heidi Donnellan's 'Irish Whiskey Trail yesterday'

O'Loclainn's Whiskey Bar, Ballyvaughan, Co Clare.

This is a super little pub, very small but friendly and clean. Decor is probably a throw back to a real old Irish pub, actually it is just a real old Irish pub. A great display of whisk(e)y adorns the shelves behind the bar. Sadly the whiskey on display is not for sale but they have a good selection of Irish & Scotch single malts at the same time, easily over 50 whiskey's to choose from. A nice curiosity is the large Persses Wall mirror which is in great condition. A wonderful pub to have a pint and a drop of your chosen poison. No TV so it easy to get into conversation with the people around you. A favourite of mine as it is only 20miles from my door ...

See HERE

Belt out of Ballyvaughan and head for Lisdoonvarna and then on to Ennistymon for the next stop.

Eugene's, Main Street, Ennistymon, Co Clare

This pub is a wonder ... another small pub but there is bit more room in the back. The walls are full with brightly painted framed Lisdoonvara posters or Clare hurling teams and more usual pub décor. Eventhough this pub is full to the brim with wall adornments it does not come across as cluttered. Even though fairly empty when we visited it still had a good atmosphere. But down top the nitty gritty ... whiskey. It has a great selection of whiskies and I counted well over 80 but I know I did not count them all. Great selection and plenty of single malt whiskies as well as a serious selection of Irish.

Eugene's

Eugene's Bar inside

Last we had

The Creamery Bar in Bunratty.

This is a busy place concentrating on food. I did not find this bar had any atmosphere to speak of ... and is a real mock up Irish bar. We had food here and found it was like any other pub grub and nothing to write home about and expensive to boot. After the meal I sat at the bar and ordered a pint of the black stuff which they are supposedly famed for ... well if these are famous pints I am missing something ... bar staff we also a bit aloof and even though they were not overly busy did their best to avoid eye contact until they were ready. Just came across as a tourist cattle stop and probably is. Even though they stocked 30+ the whiskey selection was nothing to write home about either. Mainly Irish which is nice but they could at least tried to have more than one scotch single malt which was a Glenfiddich 12yo. They did however have an old 1980's Redbreast 12yo a Bushmills Millennium and a Jameson 15yo PPS which I suppose is something. Was not overly impressed with this place and certainly not a place to enjoy a slow pint and a whiskey but possibly more relaxed later on at night.

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Clare Whiskey Bars

Postby JohnM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I'd heard of O'Loclainn's, but not the other place. My dad's from Lisdoonvarna. Used to go there a lot, but must get back now. I love Co Clare. People are very natural and unpretentious. Good fun to be had.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:36 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Did a blast through the Clare whiskey bars mentioned in Heidi Donnellan's 'Irish Whiskey Trail yesterday'

O'Loclainn's Whiskey Bar, Ballyvaughan, Co Clare.

A great place indeed, but beware, during the week it opens at 9pm and 3pm on Sundays. They may have longer hours in summer though. Very knowledgeable people and the display is something else. They even have a bottle of Hewitt's and Loch Dhu for masochists!!
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 pm

I was in O'Loclainn's last night (slipped away from a wedding party temporarily). It is a lovely little pub with a great atmosphere and genuine old fixtures.

The choice of whiskeys is better than your average pub but they need to add a lot more bottles they are willing to serve. For example, aged versions of Tyrconnell and Connemara. I got the impression from the hostess that there will be advances in this direction next summer.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey