NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

How much whiskey is normal?

Let's talk whiskey.

How much whiskey is normal?

Postby Yunfella » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi, My name is Michael. Im 31 years old. I just began my love affair with whiskey as recent as summer 2011. Up until then I never really drank much. I workout in the gym 6 days a week and have a very healthy lifestyle and diet. However, I drink whiskey almost every night before bed. It doesnt feel like much at all but it I average two litres a month (about 64 ml per night average). I guess what I want to know is....Is this uncommon? or is it normal for whisky drinkers. Im never drunk and never hungover. Im very fit and healthy. My doctor says its way too much but he would say that. Im really not sure. P.S I drink it neat if that makes a difference. Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.

P.P.S I love readbreast, greenpsot, Jamesons 12 yr and blackbush. recommendations of other whiskeys welcome.

Regards Michael
Yunfella
New Spirit

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:23 am

Yunfella wrote:Hi, My name is Michael. Im 31 years old. I just began my love affair with whiskey as recent as summer 2011. Up until then I never really drank much. I workout in the gym 6 days a week and have a very healthy lifestyle and diet. However, I drink whiskey almost every night before bed. It doesnt feel like much at all but it I average two litres a month (about 64 ml per night average). I guess what I want to know is....Is this uncommon? or is it normal for whisky drinkers. Im never drunk and never hungover. Im very fit and healthy. My doctor says its way too much but he would say that. Im really not sure. P.S I drink it neat if that makes a difference. Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.

P.P.S I love readbreast, greenpsot, Jamesons 12 yr and blackbush. recommendations of other whiskeys welcome.

Regards Michael

Welcome Michael and thanks for introducing yourself. In relation to your intake ... 64ml is just 7ml shy of 2 Irish measures (2 x35.5ml) which is within limits. An irish measure at 40% is = to 1.4 units, it is suggested a Male should not exceed 21 units a week which equates to 3 units a day. However you need to be aware of the abv intake also and not just volume, stronger whiskeys will have a higher unit count. A handy guide is the cl x the vol to get your units. so if you drinking a high abv drink like Redbreast cask strength at 57.7% and you have a 35.5ml measure that is .577 x 3.55 which is actually 2 units. Same with you glass of wine etc.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 am

Hi Michael and welcome.
I didn't really drink until my 30's either although I didn't live a healthy lifestyle. Smoked like Islay Maltings.

We're not here to advise or Judge on lifestyles but I personally don't think it's excessive.
As IWC has done the maths , a pub measure is roughly equivalent to 1/2 a pint for your body to process, by that you're having the same as a pint of beer a night. In that light it looks a tiny amount.

I often have the same myself and keep it to a minimum too just in case I called into work or the alarm go off. I also hate hangovers so that keeps me in from overdoing it.
I often don't drink for a month just to keep myself in check. If I was starting to have a negative reaction- withdrawal symptoms similar to giving up cigarettes or something like that I'd be worried.
I think it's good to question yourself now and again. I work in a bar and have seen how things can creep up on people.

I like your chosen whiskeys. Have you tried Jameson Select Reserve? It's often in Supervalu or Tesco. Black label with small batch on it. Lovely Whiskey.

I really like Writer's Tears, it can be found in shops like The Celtic Whiskey shop on Dawson street.
They have a great selection of others too.

The Society do tastings too that may interest you. You'll see it in the event section.

Sláinte,
Willie
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Re: How much whiskey is normal?

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 am

We can't give reliable medical advice here but it is interesting to ask what's common.

I'm always struck by the drinking habits in old black & white films and TV shows. The guy returns home from work and has hardly hung up his hat before he has fixed himself a scotch from the table by the door. I find something attractive about that lifestyle but I don't live it. It's a rare day that I drink alcohol and only a modest glass if I'm at home.

I suppose one risk would be associating alcohol with sleep and then finding that you can't sleep without it. Or worse, finding you need more of it to produce the same sleep effect as time goes on.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 am

I tend to have between one to four drinks a night excluding weekends. A pint at supper and a couple of whiskies later. I have no doubt my doc would get his knickers in a twist if I told him, so to avoid upsetting him I don't keep him well informed. When I go to sea I stop almost entirely (I rarely take advantage of the two beer per day). The way I see it as long as I can stop with no difficulty then all is well. I'm sure most medical associations would call me out for saying this, but two ounces of booze/day just doesn't sound like much to me.

Maybe I have a poor attitude, but if my doc told me off for two a day I tell him to stop being such a girlie.

I too used to smoke -- though, I like to think I was like an express steam locomotive on 40+ a day. :lol:
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 am

Joel1802 wrote:When I go to sea I stop almost entirely (I rarely take advantage of the two beer per day).

Is there any rum on board naval ships these days?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby bredman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 am

Look, don't listen to your doctor (or strangers on forums for that matter but bear with me :lol: ). They are nothing more than a shopkeeper for a profit demanding drugstore. The bad science behind everything they say is simply shocking. My doctor knows better than to give me any crap, he accuses me rather politely of "having a different agenda" :lol: . I remember pointing out to him that teetotalers die first, and he just rolled his eyes and said "possibly, but i'm not allowed to say that".

It was a huge source of entertainment when many years later i watched this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y_Sn0LXnwg

Ultimately if you work hard you can play hard, we all know our limits.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 am

DavidH wrote:
Joel1802 wrote:When I go to sea I stop almost entirely (I rarely take advantage of the two beer per day).

Is there any rum on board naval ships these days?

There is, but aside from extraordinary events it is only available in port and is only issued on rare occasions.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Yunfella » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:44 am

Hi, Thank you for sharing your opinions and habits. I actually feel much better for reading them. That Youtube clip from QI was very interesting and may actually make sense. My wife's grandfather drank whiskey and rum all his life. Quite a bit actually. He still does and he will be 99 soon. So maybe there is physiological benefits from alcohol. Thank you also for your recommendations, I will put them on my santy list. In response to "good whiskey hunting", -- I have a bottle of Jamesons signature reserve and really like it. Is it similar to special reserve? Anyway, Thanks again lads. Michael.
Yunfella
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 pm

As long as your consumption is moderate all should be fine and we are all entitled to a blow out every so often :thumbsup: :lol:

However with whiskey, especially single cask whiskey, I do believe you need to monitor your consumption as it can be consumed at unseen high levels. I now drink plenty of water (on the side) with my whiskey.

I am fairly positive high abv whiskeys led to my liver functions rising above normal levels. However in saying that ... seemingly the liver (and lungs for that matter) have an amazing capacity to regenerate themselves if given the opportunity to do so.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Yunfella wrote: In response to "good whiskey hunting", -- I have a bottle of Jamesons signature reserve and really like it. Is it similar to special reserve?.

It's a different beast altogether, rich Pot Still flavour and sweet grain. I think it great Whiskey. Here's a photo Image , from Irish Whiskey Chaser's site.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:08 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote: However with whiskey, especially single cask whiskey, I do believe you need to monitor your consumption as it can be consumed at unseen high levels. I now drink plenty of water (on the side) with my whiskey.

My intake is something that I try to keep fairly cognizant about over a given week. On weekends I tend to drink more (beer/wine) but, like IWC, I too ensure that I have a pint size cup of water to drink in between alcoholic drinks to help 'dilute' the alcohol intake. Drinking is also an expensive proposition in Ontario, so that always helps to keep me moderated! :lol:
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby johnnywhiskey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:10 pm

bredman wrote:Look, don't listen to your doctor (or strangers on forums for that matter but bear with me :lol: ). They are nothing more than a shopkeeper for a profit demanding drugstore. The bad science behind everything they say is simply shocking. My doctor knows better than to give me any crap, he accuses me rather politely of "having a different agenda" :lol: . I remember pointing out to him that teetotalers die first, and he just rolled his eyes and said "possibly, but i'm not allowed to say that".

I Like this. The doctors are disagreeing all the time any way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that lifestyle but I'm more inclined to think it depends on the person. Someone mentioned earlier that using it as a crutch to sleep (or forget) etc is probably not healthy. Better rely on a decent bed and mattress chosen from Zen Bedrooms for that!

Oh, and here comes the "Yer'man here" bit

My 94yr old grandfather drinks a bottle of whisky a day and doesn't look like leaving us anytime soon.
johnnywhiskey
New Spirit

Return to Whiskey