NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Midleton capacity

Let's talk whiskey.

Midleton capacity

Postby DavidH » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 am

I saw this in an article about the current electricians' strike that has been affecting large companies like Irish Distillers:

The Midleton plant employs about 100 people and produces about 50 million bottles of whiskey per year.

Just thought that was an interesting data point, though it's not the usual industry metric (which would be 9-litre case equivalents). I recall that IDL is shooting to sell 3m cases of Jameson per year, which would be about 36m bottles, I suppose. The other 14m bottles must then be Tullamore Dew, Powers and Paddy. Does that sound right? I wonder if they are counting the grain spirit they make for Bushmills.
Last edited by DavidH on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Midleton capacity

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 am

I forget where I heard it but the last report I heard was that the Midleton output was circa 19 mla's but that probably is out dated due to their agressive targets which seem to grow every year . Don't know how you can accurately calculate this though in 40% 70cl bottles. This is totally unconfirmed of course.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby cathach » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:18 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I forget where I heard it but the last report I heard was that the Midleton output was circa 19 mla's but that probably is out dated due to their agressive targets which seem to grow every year . Don't know how you can accurately calculate this though in 40% 70cl bottles.

That's 67,857,142.8571 bottles (40% vol, 70cl) so close enough to the 50m figure above. But 19mla = 2,111,111 9-Litre case equivalents. So that figure must be out of date, or do we know if output figures differentiate between theoretical max. grain production vs. malt/pure pot still production??
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:31 am

Maybe the excess there is gin and vodka and whatever else they produce there.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 am

Just to let you know that I think when they use the term MLA (Million Liters of Alcohol) it is not what is bottled but what is produced off the stills. i.e. before it is reduced and put in cask. Colm Egan said something along those lines but In missed it. Or possibly what goes into to cask. SO there maybe a greater scope there.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey