NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Riedel Glassware tasting in Against the Grain

Let's talk whiskey.

Riedel Glassware tasting in Against the Grain

Postby rachel lindsay » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Everyone,
I attended the Riedel Glassware/wood finish tasting on Thursday night in Against the Grain. It was a great success. The whiskey was presented knowledegbly and entertainingly as always by Michael Lawlor from the Celtic Whiskey Shop. The Riedel Glassware was presented by John Hinckley who flew over from England especially to present the talk. The whiskies sampled on the night were as follows, Tyrconnell single malt, Tyrconnell Port Cask, Tyrconnell Anima Negra, Royal Lochnagar single malt, Royal Lochnagar distillers edition (muscat cask), Clynelish single malt, Clynelish distillers edition and Greenspot. The aim of the night was to compare and contrast the way whiskey tastes from the Riedel Glassware in comparison to the Glencairn glass we normally taste from. The three glasses featured were a port glass, a funnel top wine glass and a single malt glass. It was absolutely astounding the different nose, flavours and finishes that came through from the different glasses. Example, Tyrconnell Anima Negra was amazing from the wine glass. The wine finish really came through with all the lovely spicy dark fruits but became much sweeter and sugary in the malt glass. Under Johns instruction we poured the whiskies into each glass in turn in order to establish which glass suited each whiskey. The Royal Lochnagar distillers edition was beautiful in the port glass, really rich and caramel. All in all it was a highly informative and entertaining evening. If an opportunity should arise in the future to attend an evening with John I would highly recommend it. It has made me look at glassware in a whole new light. Slainte, Rachel.
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Re: Riedel Glassware tasting in Against the Grain

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:11 am

Hi Rachel,
Interesting research.
I found some glass in a thrift shop recently, they are lovely for tasting too. I remember them being used in bars years ago and always liked them.
I wish bars would have better whiskey glasses than the normal tumbler.
I attach a photo of the glass i mentioned.
Attachments
glass.JPG
old whiskey glass
glass.JPG (57.12 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Where did you get them WIllie, that is my favourite glass for regular drinking :thumbsup:

The problem I fine wit the likes of Riedel is they are too delicate for regular drinking and are easily broken which can become an expensive habit.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm

I got 4 of them for €2 in a thrift shop in Wexford. They're old too. A lovely glass I think. :thumbsup:
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby rachel lindsay » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Thrift shops are great hunting grounds for , I got some vintage Creme de Menthe glasses in a charity shop for 50 cent each. you know the ones with the lovely emerald green stems. I remember those glasses you like using as being the main glass used in my local pub in Newtown years ago. Not any more though, wish I'd got some myself. I agree with you about bars needing a better selection of glasses to choose from, although lets face it most of them are still working on their whiskey selection !
Cheers,
Rachel
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Postby IainB » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Where did you get them WIllie, that is my favourite glass for regular drinking :thumbsup:

The problem I fine wit the likes of Riedel is they are too delicate for regular drinking and are easily broken which can become an expensive habit.

I got a big box of those some time ago on musgraves. Actually it was a long time but I still have most of them - they're good sturdy glasses. I think they're called bistro glasses. Try searching for that.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby rachel lindsay » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 am

Never thought of Musgraves, thanks for the tip. I'm going on the Islay trip tomorrow with The Celtic Whiskey Shop. Might treat myself to some nice glassware on the way back. Thats if I don't spend all my cash on whiskey !
Slainte,
Rachel.
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:53 pm

IainB wrote:I got a big box of those some time ago on musgraves. Actually it was a long time but I still have most of them - they're good sturdy glasses. I think they're called bistro glasses. Try searching for that.

You certainly do learn something new every day, thanks for that Iain never knew, probably hip in French cafés since the 30's ...

rachel lindsay wrote: Thats if I don't spend all my cash on whiskey !

I wouldn't hold out too much optimism on that front if I was you ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey