NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Worth picking up

Let's talk whiskey.

Worth picking up

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 am

Any ideas on what's worth buying?

I think the current Highland Park 21 bottled at 47.5% abv. This is a great whiskey and the newer version is going to be bottled at 40% abv. It's available in Duty Free.

Also, the Laphroaig 15. It's a lovely whiskey and is being replaced by the 18. It's very gentle for a Laphroaig, but still great, in my opinion.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Worth picking up

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:20 am

That Laphroaig 12 Cairdeas too, but that seems to be sold out.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:39 am

JohnM wrote:
Also, the Laphroaig 15. It's a lovely whiskey and is being replaced by the 18. It's very gentle for a Laphroaig, but still great, in my opinion.

Yes I love the 15 too, on my last bottle so need to pick up a few before they all disappear.

HP 21 looks very tempting especially for the price.

Can't think of anything myself off the top of my head.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:16 pm

From Parker's whisky shop...

Glendronach 1994 Single Cask Whisky Exclusive
Glendronach 1992 Single Cask Whisky Exclusive

These are the first single-cask distillery bottlings since... I can't remember. Anyway, they seem to be getting a lto of interest.

http://www.parkerswhisky.co.uk/pdf/UK-f ... ronach.pdf
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:54 pm

I opened a Highland Park 21. It's absolutely fantastic.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:02 am

Have you put your name down for the Glendronach releases John? Is this Parker's first foray into the whiskey 'en primeur' market?! I have seen a number of people questioning why the pre-release was done through such a small retailer and I can't help but wonder is that what is adding to the £69.99 price tag?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:20 pm

John wrote:Have you put your name down for the Glendronach releases John? Is this Parker's first foray into the whiskey 'en primeur' market?! I have seen a number of people questioning why the pre-release was done through such a small retailer and I can't help but wonder is that what is adding to the £69.99 price tag?

I'm down for one of each. Parker's shop is close enough to the distillery, and once it changed hands, they were right down there to see what was going on. I think that's how they did the deal. Initially, they were only going to do one, but they tasted some excellent stuff and asked for two. They also have some sort of relationship with BenRiach.

I am not sure how to judge the price of whisky anymore. It seems to be all over the place.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 pm

Airigh Nam Beist is worth picking up. It's no longer being made - think it's being replaced by Corryvreckan (which is a great whisky).
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 am

Redbreast 15yo, I'm quite surprised that it hasn't been mentioned as yet on this thread. The most definitive expression of Pure Pot Still Irish of this generation perhaps??? And a snip at E120 compared to the amount asked for no age-statement Midleton....
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:00 pm

cathach wrote:Redbreast 15yo, I'm quite surprised that it hasn't been mentioned as yet on this thread. The most definitive expression of Pure Pot Still Irish of this generation perhaps??? And a snip at E120 compared to the amount asked for no age-statement Midleton....

I suppose the earlier cheaper prices are still fresh in the memory but as you say I suppose still great value compared to a Midleton.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby PureDrop » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:04 pm

€80 at Dublin airport for Redbreast 15 back in June.
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby Michael Foggarty » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:54 pm

€105 at Dublin Airport now,

But get ready for an explosion in the price, i just ordered the last 18 bottles from IDL today.

My friends buy,buy,buy! before it goes through the roof!
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:€105 at Dublin Airport now,

But get ready for an explosion in the price, i just ordered the last 18 bottles from IDL today.

My friends buy,buy,buy! before it goes through the roof!

I though ye had ordered the last batch just before Christmas ...

hmmmm .... me think IDL are up to their usual tricks of finding lost stock and them it keeps reappearing for about 2 years. :roll:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Who's for getting IDL to sign an affidavit on this one. I'm also tired of hearing them say that the last of these bottles have been sold. :evil:
As a side bar, has anyone else noticed the 'duty free' and 'travel value' prices creeping up lately. They might be taking the duty off but they still seem to be losing their competitiveness with high street by increasing the base price? Seems to be the case in Dublin anyway, other airports seem to be much better value. Celtic tiger still clinging onto the DAA clif-face I wonder.......
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Michael Foggarty » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:16 pm

This is part of the last batch

The last batch was a pallet of 600 bottles, now it is totally impossible for us to store this amount, so i think we took half, the rest was supposedly reserved for us(i think), but they sold it to any tom dick or harry, we knew it was running low so i just asked how many was left this morning and i was told 18 bottles, so i ordered the lot

This last batch was reserved for Germany but the couldnt sell their original allocation, so they put it on the market again hence its availabilty in Ireland.

Now i may be wrong and IDL have 3 trillion bottles stashed under Barry Crockets mattress.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:
Now i may be wrong and IDL have 3 trillion bottles stashed under Barry Crockets mattress.

I wish you were and Barry did ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am

Fair enough. Thanks for the tip anyway Michael.
J.
John
Hogshead

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Kaixo,
Best quality buy....Powers reserve 12yr 38 euros in Dublin Airport..great buy !!
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:34 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
cathach wrote:Redbreast 15yo, I'm quite surprised that it hasn't been mentioned as yet on this thread. The most definitive expression of Pure Pot Still Irish of this generation perhaps??? And a snip at E120 compared to the amount asked for no age-statement Midleton....

I suppose the earlier cheaper prices are still fresh in the memory but as you say I suppose still great value compared to a Midleton.

I guess it's all relative. When it was €80 a bottle we thought is was expensive and were delighted when we could import it for €50. Then it went to €120, so when I saw it a €80 in Midleton I went mad and bought a load of them.

They still had a few on the shelves in Midleton last time I was there. Must check next time I'm in the vacinity.
IainB
Hogshead

Michael Collins Whiskey

Postby Michael Foggarty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 pm

MIchael Collins whiskey is being discontinued to knowledge so maybe worth grabbing a bottle.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Re: Michael Collins Whiskey

Postby varizoltan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:MIchael Collins whiskey is being discontinued to knowledge so maybe worth grabbing a bottle.

do you think it is ever gonna worth anything :?:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Re: Michael Collins Whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 am

varizoltan wrote:
Michael Foggarty wrote:MIchael Collins whiskey is being discontinued to knowledge so maybe worth grabbing a bottle.

do you think it is ever gonna worth anything :?:

Nope :lol:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:56 am

it is not even fit on the self...
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Kilchoman's second edition - the autumn release - is out now and selling fast...

http://www.whisky.fr/produit-15537-kilc ... iciel.html
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Also, the Celtic Whiskey Shop has the Hazelburn 12, while most other places have sold out. Same goes for the Springbank 18.

I think the Hazelburn 12 is lovely.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Next

Return to Whiskey