NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Yellow Spot

Let's talk whiskey.

Yellow Spot

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:49 pm

I've heard a rumour that a Yellow spot is soon to be launched by Irish distillers. Doe's anyone have any knowledge about it? If true will it be a 12 year old,and hopefully nor €850 a bottle and limited to 200..........
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Re: Yellow Spot

Postby JohnM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:46 pm

good_whiskey_hunting wrote:I've heard a rumour that a Yellow spot is soon to be launched by Irish distillers. Doe's anyone have any knowledge about it? If true will it be a 12 year old,and hopefully nor €850 a bottle and limited to 200..........

I didn't know which Spot they were going to release, but I know they are going to expand the Spot range. It won't be anywhere near as expansive as the anniversary one.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 pm

No idea, but if hints are being dropped, this month's Green Spot tasting might be the place to pick them up.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Yes it is a logical progression of the Spot range and expected. How they develop the range will be the interesting bit.

As Green Spot is €45 currently I would reckon that the yellow spot will be over €60, if it is to be a 12yo.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Just hanged up the phone with one of the Masters from Midleton, and I got a few things of him

he said that something with the name of spot and age statement begins with 1 coming out by june or so, and the price tag hopefully NOT begins with 1
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

A bit cryptic ..... he could of been talking about his dog
Stephen
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I do not think so, he knows exactly, just can not say, so i guess it will be a 10 (or maybe a 12) years old for less than a 100
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby matt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Sounds plausible to me. The current green spot is in a average age of 7-9 years.
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:47 am

It could be a 1 mth old sps yellow spot poitin for €900. Probably not though.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby matt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:49 pm

IainB wrote:It could be a 1 mth old sps yellow spot poitin for €900. Probably not though.

Yeah, you are right :!: Just think that we are talking about the wrong company. Don`t think ID would sell something like that.
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:39 pm

So no smoke without a fire..eh. We surely have a blue one then too. Did Mitchells have the original Yellow and Blue spots too?
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby matt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:39 pm

As far as i am concerned, there was a Blue,Green,Yellow and Red Spot from Mitchells in old times.

Correct me in caes that info is wrong. i am not 100%
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Pre 1920's the line up was as follows.

Greenspot 5yo, Bluespot 7yo, Yellowspot 12yo, Redspot 15yo

Post 1920's when they dropped all but Greenspot it eventually became a 10yo.

However in more modern times it became a no age stated bottling ...

... as it is today.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 pm

There's a nice video about the spots, as well as all the other in the single pot still range, on the single pot still website. Hosted by Peter Mulryan. Well worth a look.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Liam Murray » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I think I mentioned this before, however, upto the mid nineties, examples of all the spots, although empty, were on display in Findlaters at the Vaults Harcourt St. Alex Findlaters is retired to the West and I cannot get ant further in tracing the display.
Liam Murray
Quarter Cask

Postby DavidH » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:08 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Pre 1920's the line up was as follows.

Greenspot 5yo

Are you sure about that? It would have been young for a whiskey at the time and I've never seen Green Spot listed as a 5yo anywhere.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby matt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:54 pm

In this report the say, Green Spot was traditionally bottled when it was 10 y.o. (1:47) but there was other spots so as ..........
http://www.singlepotstill.com/spsfilm.d ... d=33&id=24

Also interesting at minute 1:00 "Prior to that it was called PAT WHISKY"
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby matt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 pm

And more hear: http://www.irelandwhiskeytrail.com/?pg= ... dublin.php

Interesting part:
"The brand was originally known as Pat Whiskey, with a man looking very much the worse for wear apparently bursting through the label. Behind him was dark green shading. From this image grew the name Green Spot. The popularity of this type of whiskey spread to a seven year old Blue Spot, a Yellow Spot (12) and Red Spot (15).

When Jameson closed their Bow Street Distillery in the early 1970's, it was decided that Irish Distillers would produce, mature and bottle Green Spot whiskey for Mitchell's. The current Green Spot is made entirely from seven and eight year old Midleton pot still, a healthy 25% coming from sherry cask, which is quite evident in its aroma and taste. It is still a pure pot still whiskey, one of only two brands regularly produced by the Midleton Distillery."
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm

DavidH wrote:

Greenspot 5yo

Are you sure about that? It would have been young for a whiskey at the time and I've never seen Green Spot listed as a 5yo anywhere.

Contary to our romantic notions of the wonderful very old whiskey sold in the days of old it is actually the very opposite. Whiskey was sold much younger than we are used to. Obviously there was some older stuff on the go but in the majority Rare Old Irish whiskey was never much older than 7years and the irish were very proud of selling such OLD whiskey.. For a long time there was no legal age definition that whisk(e)y needed to be to be sold. The Scotts used to sell some of their mass produced grain when it had reached the ripe old age of 12 months. The Irish thought they were above all that and raised their minimum age to 5years for a good while but then the this was reduced to 3years where we are still.

Very few whiskeys prior to 1900 were sold over 10years of age.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
DavidH wrote:

Greenspot 5yo

Contary to our romantic notions of the wonderful very old whiskey sold in the days of old it is actually the very opposite.

OK, what I said was ambiguous. I have, in the past, trawled through every old whiskey ad in the Irish Times archive and what I recall is 7yo and 10yo. I'm sure there was plenty of fire-water available but we are talking about quality whiskey here. When they had a bit of age on it, they advertised it, so they must have valued the mature whiskey as much as we do. So let me re-word what I said: it would have been young for a whiskey with an age statement, distilled by Jameson and matured by a quality wine importer like Mitchell's.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 pm

You'll have the perfect opportunity to confirm (or deny) on Thursday 26th ;)

Hopefully ye'll get loads of history ... I'd love to be there but unfortunately will probably miss any meeting for the first half of this year :cry:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Yup :) And you know I'll be taking notes so whatever I learn there will end up on the blog shortly afterwards.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 pm

DavidH wrote:Yup :) And you know I'll be taking notes so whatever I learn there will end up on the blog shortly afterwards.

Looking forward to it David, I think we need to hear the true and correct story so do your best. :thumbsup:

Not sure how accurate the Wikipedia version is ....
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Looks like the supply is increasing.
Yellow spot in the US.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey