NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whiskey Storage.

Let's talk whiskey.

Whiskey Storage.

Postby John » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi All,

My question relates to the 'proper' storage conditions for whiskey. I'm sure most are aware that there are preferred storage procedures for cigars, wine, etc. and I was wondering if the same criteria apply to whiskey in terms of positioning, temperature, humidity, etc. Also, given the number of brands using porcelain jugs instead of bottles is there an issue there in terms of long-term quality as impacted by leaching, evaporation (Angels' Share!), etc?

Nice bank-holiday Tuesday morning question to get things going! :lol:

Cheers,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: Whiskey Storage.

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:17 pm

For long term storage.

Store Up right in card board boxes out of direct sunlight.

Store in an area that has a fairly constant temperature i.e. in cool area (not cold) away from heat sources like Radiators. Evaporation still will happen to some degree in cork topped bottles but by storing in correct condition you will decrease it considerably and should be happily be able to store bottles for very long terms with minimal loss.

In relation to Crocks ... I think the nature of porcelain or pottery crocks means they are porous and I am unsure if you can do anything to prevent the slow evaporation over time. They certainly evaporate more than any other bottle type.

Note for twist caps ... tighten them slightly to ensure the seal is properly in place as they can loosen through transit and handling etc.

This is just my take on it and others may have different methods.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Cheers IWC!

I wonder is there an offical guide or is there a policy recognised by the distilleries themselves for the storage of bottled product? Would be interesting to know in terms of the optimal storage conditions; especially for those extra-special bottles! :D

All the best,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:59 pm

What IWC said.
Store in original containers, preferably within cardboard or wooden boxes to prevent light, in a cool place of relatively consistent cool temperature.
But also - if the bottle is already open, a process of oxidisation will begin. The lower the level, the more air is in there and the more it will oxidise.
Therefore, a couple of systems have been developed to assist with preserving those open bottles of expensive whiskey you don't want to lash through in a couple of months.
One involves squirting carbon dioxide or some similarly inert gas into the bottle to replace the oxygen. This is used by John Hansell the malt advocate and I saw one of our own esteemed members also has a similar procedure. Products to do this for wine bottles are available in oenophile stores online.
The alternative is to obtain inert stainless steel ball bearings or marbles which will not impart a taste to the spirit or interact with it at all and drop sufficient numbers of these into the bottle until the fill level returns to the top.
These can also be bought online.
I can't say I use either method myself - having had the displeasure of leaving a bottle too long and seeing good whiskey oxidise, I now accelerate my drinking of that bottle once it falls below halfway, and I never have more than a few bottles open at a time.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby John » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks lads,
Some very good (and high tech!) advice there. Should benefit most members I would imagine given that we're all interested in keeping na deochanna biotáilleacha in peak condition :geek: :D
Keep the tips comming!
All the best,
John.
John
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey