NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Laphroaig 25yo

Let's talk whiskey.

Laphroaig 25yo

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri May 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Was in Neachtains on shop street and went for a quite pint and noticed a Laphroaig 25yo sitting on the whiskey shelf and couldn't resist asking how much.

20Euro by the barman I was told, to which the main man at the counter replied sold ;)

Not usually something I'd do in a pub but it was quite and no smell of food so decided to treat myself.

And so glad I was ... being a Laphroaig nut I loved it and enjoyed it more than the 30yo I had 2 years ago as I was able to enjoy & savour it and not have to virtually knock it back and run out the gate at Laphroaig distillery chasing the bus :lol:

anyway enough crap what about the whisky ....

Nose ..firstly there was a wonderful thickness to the nose, I could nearly feel the fumes wafting up my nose. Lush fruity and syrupy. Mango, banana and a touch of orange juice cut with a slight sharp acidity. Seashore saltiness all around too and for the first time in my life I can say I noticed crème brúlée which is so often used in descriptions :roll: This certainly does not seem to me like a Laphroaig.

Taste Light mouth feel nearly like a cheap 40% blended whisky but that it not the case in the taste. The nose also lends a false sense of security as the Laphroaig brutishness is there in sheep's clothing. The smooth soft sweet fruitiness is there but there is also the iodine which we are so accustomed from Laphroaig. Toffee sweetness and burnt sugar. I also get the peat and it is quite earthy.

Finish amazing dryness of the iodine in contrast to the sweetness in which I think I detect some nuttiness. this all slowly waters away to leave you with that mouth wash feel but it's glorious Laphroaig not Listerine :lol: .

I know there is probably so much more to this whisky but for me this was a great pub experience where I usually can't get much because of the surrounding atmosphere.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Laphroaig 25yo

Postby IainB » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 pm

I'd just add to this that I too (on the recommendation of a certain Galway dunnage resident) went to the same pub and had the Laphroaig 25yo. This time the pub was not so quiet but the whisky still very enjoyable.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:42 am

is this pub is in Galway?
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby cathach » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 pm

It is indeed, on Quay St., in Galway City.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:46 am

It is a great dram though. No doubt about it.
It's better to have drunk it all, than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ
Quarter Cask

Return to Whiskey