NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

The Excise Man

Let's talk whiskey.

The Excise Man

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue May 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Just received two bottles in the post, got hit with the VAT & Duty (ouch) goes with the territory I suppose. Anyway chatting with the postman and he says they are really clamping down at the moment. So for those law abiding citizens among you just be aware that this will most likely happen more frequently. Note to self.... must be more patriotic!
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: The Excise Man

Postby DavidH » Tue May 05, 2009 10:41 pm

TheWhiskeyBros wrote:Just received two bottles in the post

From where?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue May 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Outside of the EU .. in this case I know it was the US.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed May 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Also had a bottle seized by customs for the first time (from within the EU), I was told it was illegal to send alcohol through the post after I called to the mail centre, I have 30 days to appeal! (will quote the relevant section from the act in my next post)
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Wed May 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Let's make this an EU election issue. Really, are we living in a customs union, or are we not?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm

DavidH wrote:Let's make this an EU election issue. Really, are we living in a customs union, or are we not?

Unfortunately An Post have had sanctions against sending liquids (not just alcohol) through the postal system for a good few years now and it is definitely in place in the states too. I think it is was highlighted after 9/11 and they obviously are starting to take it more seriously.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Feck it. I'm buying up north and in duty free then.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Willie JJ » Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 pm

I had a couple of bottles coming in from the US stopped at customs recently, so it seems they are tightening up all over. :(
It's better to have drunk it all, than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ
Quarter Cask

Postby cathach » Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
DavidH wrote:Let's make this an EU election issue. Really, are we living in a customs union, or are we not?

Unfortunately An Post have had sanctions against sending liquids (not just alcohol) through the postal system for a good few years now and it is definitely in place in the states too. I think it is was highlighted after 9/11 and they obviously are starting to take it more seriously.

We are living in a customs union alright however under European law there are reserved national competencies i.e. tobacco & alcohol. Now, technically you can move as much of either of these as you like in person, provided it's for personal use, but in a European Court of Justice ruling (in 2007 I think) sending them by post (i.e. via an agency) was banned, i.e. you would be liable for VAT & duty in the destination country. Most of the considerations in that ruling were in relation to companies in Latvia posting ciggarettes at E1 per pack into the rest of the E.U.

The stuff can still be sent but you have to take a chance, and you do have the right to accept the delivery and pay the outstanding amount. I've never had any problems, because I think the internal E.U. stuff is gone over by dogs for illegal drugs as opposed to other stuff. Example: Olive oils from the continent are half the price they are here and a bottle in a parcel could be anything and there are tens of thousands every day.

The sending of liquids outside the E.U. is prohibited by An Post and I've had to fib my way around them sending samples to Norway and the U.S.

P.S. Can I ask which E.U. country the confiscated bottle was from???
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat May 09, 2009 11:33 am

The confiscated bottle was sent by standard post from Italy, I guess I was just unlucky. Have received bottles from there before without any problems.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Michael Foggarty » Sat May 09, 2009 12:33 pm

We recieve sample bottles on a daily basis, but now i would say over 80% of them arent getting to us. When they arrive by DHL we have to pay the delivery guy, when its an post we recieve an empty box.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun May 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Michael Foggarty wrote:....... when its an post we recieve an empty box.

Does the post man have a big stupid smile and one crossed eye when delivering ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey