Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Let's talk whiskey.

Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby Rick M. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm a recent registrant, after lurking for some time. Here in Canada the Jameson 18 goes for $135 but the Midleton VR is around $300 Canadian. Both are 40% ABV. Can someone explain the price difference? I've tried the Midleton at a spirits festival and liked it but the price is too high for me. Is the Jameson a better alternative (I've not had it),or would I be better looking elsewhere in the IDL range? Thanks for your help.
Rick M.
New Spirit
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 am

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby TallyB » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 pm

I am a big fan of Redbreast 12yo. Well worth a try and cheaper than both of your choices.
TallyB
Quarter Cask
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:01 pm

TallyB wrote:I am a big fan of Redbreast 12yo. Well worth a try and cheaper than both of your choices.


The Redbreast is a great Pot Still. The Cask Strength or 15 are great whiskeys if you can get them.

The Midleton at that price is shocking. I think the 18 at $125 Canadian is much better value. It's one of the best blended whiskeys you'll try.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
User avatar
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask
 
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Rick M. wrote:I'm a recent registrant, after lurking for some time. Here in Canada the Jameson 18 goes for $135 but the Midleton VR is around $300 Canadian. Both are 40% ABV. Can someone explain the price difference? I've tried the Midleton at a spirits festival and liked it but the price is too high for me. Is the Jameson a better alternative (I've not had it),or would I be better looking elsewhere in the IDL range? Thanks for your help.



To explain the price difference is really a mute point. Midleton VR is simply sold as a very premium product. Although I'm surprised at the price difference over in canada as they are actually quite similar prices here. €155 (VR) as to €125 (J18). It is possible that this is a special price on the 18year old as they may be phasing it out so definately pick one up ;-)

But, Yes the 18 would be a really nice one to go for also and the price point is actually very good. The 18 just like the Midleton VR is quite refined and very drinkable. However it has a more Jameson character which is slightly different to the Midleton VR.

If you are still a bit unsure you could even start with the 12yo or the Jameson Select / Black Barrel (Not sure what it is called these days) just to get a feel for the Jameson range. Jameson Gold is another one to look at also.

Others to Consider are Redbreast 15yo & 12yo and a really excellent one in my books at a very reasonable in price point is the Writers Tears if you can see it.

In all fairness I think you would be pleased with any variation you pick.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 pm
Location: A Dark Dunnage somewhere in Galway

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby Rick M. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses. I should explain that I tasted the Midleton VR and Redbreast 12 at a spirits festival and really enjoyed both. I bought the Redbreast 12 but price deterred me from buying the Midleton. My brother in western Canada has picked up bottles of Redbreast 12 CS and 21 for me but I won't get my hands on them until I visit him later this spring. I have an open bottle of Jameson 12 which I enjoy and also bottles of Black Barrel and Jameson Gold. Reading between the lines, GWH, I gather that you think the quality of Jameson 18 is not far off the Midleton VR, even if stylistically it is more sherried. Redbreast 15 is hard to find in Canada but from looking at this site further it's not all that well thought of apart from the 2005 version. Should I be trying to track down a current bottling of the 15 or something like Powers John's Lane instead? So many questions....
Rick M.
New Spirit
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 am

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Rick M. wrote:.....but from looking at this site further it's not all that well thought of apart from the 2005 version.

Should I be trying to track down a current bottling of the 15 or something like Powers John's Lane instead? So many questions....


In all fairness this forum has probably came across quite hard on the RB15 ... reason being is that the original 15yo was stellar and subsequent versions have not achieved those heights but still a good whiskey.

However the 15yo is still a very good whiskey, so at this stage just a matter as to whether you think it is worth the extra over the 12 which is great also.

John's Lane for me is the bee's knees ;-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 pm
Location: A Dark Dunnage somewhere in Galway

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby Rick M. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks, IWC.
Rick M.
New Spirit
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 am

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby ridge004 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
Rick M. wrote:.....but from looking at this site further it's not all that well thought of apart from the 2005 version.

Should I be trying to track down a current bottling of the 15 or something like Powers John's Lane instead? So many questions....


In all fairness this forum has probably came across quite hard on the RB15 ... reason being is that the original 15yo was stellar and subsequent versions have not achieved those heights but still a good whiskey.

However the 15yo is still a very good whiskey, so at this stage just a matter as to whether you think it is worth the extra over the 12 which is great also.

John's Lane for me is the bee's knees ;-)


A big second on these sentiments I am quite partial to the RB 12CS, but the entire line is lovely indeed. And John's Lane is for me a desert-island whiskey, especially for the price.
ridge004
New Spirit
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 am
Location: USA (MN-AZ)

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby Rick M. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm

So, I now have 2 RB 12 and a friend has brought me a Johns Lane back from a Florida trip. I'll be picking up a RB 12 CS and a RB 21 when I visit my brother next month. The Irish collection is coming along. I already have a Jameson Gold, Caskmates and Black Barrel along with a half bottle of the discontinued Jameson 1780 12. I appreciate the help! My wallet, less so.... :lol:
Rick M.
New Spirit
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 am

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby varizoltan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Rick M. wrote:So, I now have 2 RB 12 and a friend has brought me a Johns Lane back from a Florida trip. I'll be picking up a RB 12 CS and a RB 21 when I visit my brother next month. The Irish collection is coming along. I already have a Jameson Gold, Caskmates and Black Barrel along with a half bottle of the discontinued Jameson 1780 12. I appreciate the help! My wallet, less so.... :lol:


Hi, i prefer the very rare over the jammie 18, but surely not for 300/bottle...
you are getting great joy from any of the above listed stuff you gathered for the price of one very rare.

enjoy!
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
User avatar
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:03 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Jameson 18 vs Midleton VR

Postby Rick M. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 pm

varizoltan wrote:
Rick M. wrote:So, I now have 2 RB 12 and a friend has brought me a Johns Lane back from a Florida trip. I'll be picking up a RB 12 CS and a RB 21 when I visit my brother next month. The Irish collection is coming along. I already have a Jameson Gold, Caskmates and Black Barrel along with a half bottle of the discontinued Jameson 1780 12. I appreciate the help! My wallet, less so.... :lol:


Hi, i prefer the very rare over the jammie 18, but surely not for 300/bottle...
you are getting great joy from any of the above listed stuff you gathered for the price of one very rare.

enjoy!


Thanks, varizoltan.
Rick M.
New Spirit
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 am


Return to Whiskey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron