NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Snaffled » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:33 am

Hello All,

I'm Michael, Irish but have been in Asia a long time in the hotel industry and now based in China. Great to see this forum and society, and thanks for letting me join! I've become more & more of a Whiskey drinker over the past few years, and in particular some of the great Irish Whiskeys. It is fantastic to see such a revival in Irish Whiskey, and also in the Pot Still traditions. The Irish range in China is so far generally limited to Jameson's and maybe a Bushmills but there is certainly an increasing interest in Whiskey, including Irish so hopefully that will grow. I manage a pilgrimage to the Celtic Whiskey Shop (And of course Duty Free) on every trip home and am enjoying some Yellow Spot, Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength and Connemara these days. My new favourite though for an every day whiskey is the Teeling Small batch.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some small way, and nice to meet everyone.
Snaffled
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Michael,
Welcome to the Irish Whiskey Society. It's interesting to hear how the industry is going in Asia. It's a huge market opening up there.

Is see you have tried a few nice ones. It's great to see the choice improving. Every year there's talk of another start up or a new brand getting launched. Happy days.

Sláinte.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby bloggs » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi, my name is Joe and I love Irish whiskey; specifically Bushmills. Not only do I love it neat but I enjoy creating liqueur's from it. Good times. J
bloggs
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Welcome Joe, I hope you enjoy the forum. Bushmills make great stuff. They've been very quiet in the last few years. I wonder do they have any new whiskeys in the pipeline. They were very active a few years ago and came out with some beautiful whiskeys like the Caribbean Rum cask one.

Sláinte
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby treays » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:40 pm

I am looking into William Jameson1777-1802 (son of John Jameson the whiskey king) who was I believe in partnership with John Stein running the Marrowbone Lane distillery in Dublin.His brother John 1773-1861 eventually was in partnership with his father John Jameson running the Bow Street Distillery, later to become John Jameson and Son. William 's brother John married John Stein's daughter Isabella in 1802 the same year that William died.
I know that John Jameson senior started off as general manager at the Bow St distillery but eventually bought it out in 1805 changing the name in 1810.
When William died his share in Marrowbone apparently was left to another brother James .
My question is ,how did the Jameson family end up running rival distilleries. ? Was William about to marry Isabella Stein or another Stein daughter? I cannot find that William married and indeed this seems unlikely if he left his share to his brother James ?? Anybody got the answer??
Regards
Michael Treays
treays
New Spirit

Postby PaulG021 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Everyone,
We are new to this forum and have just registered with the society.
I recently met one of your other members who was in the bar recently, and recommended that we join, his name was Peter, but I am not sure of his surname but I know he is directly involved in the society.

We run a bar here in Galway called Garavan's Bar, and we have an extensive range of whiskey, particularly Irish Whiskey as you would expect.

We have around 120 bottles of whiskey on our menu and are always expanding.

I like collecting old whiskey bottles and off course sampling whiskey.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Thanks.

Paul.
PaulG021
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

treays wrote:I am looking into William Jameson1777-1802 (son of John Jameson the whiskey king) who was I believe in partnership with John Stein running the Marrowbone Lane distillery in Dublin.His brother John 1773-1861 eventually was in partnership with his father John Jameson running the Bow Street Distillery, later to become John Jameson and Son. William 's brother John married John Stein's daughter Isabella in 1802 the same year that William died.
I know that John Jameson senior started off as general manager at the Bow St distillery but eventually bought it out in 1805 changing the name in 1810.
When William died his share in Marrowbone apparently was left to another brother James .
My question is ,how did the Jameson family end up running rival distilleries. ? Was William about to marry Isabella Stein or another Stein daughter? I cannot find that William married and indeed this seems unlikely if he left his share to his brother James ?? Anybody got the answer??
Regards
Michael Treays

Welcome Michael, I know little about the Jameson relationships but I'll ask other members to see what they know. Keep in touch.

PaulG021 wrote:Hi Everyone,
We are new to this forum and have just registered with the society.
I recently met one of your other members who was in the bar recently, and recommended that we join, his name was Peter, but I am not sure of his surname but I know he is directly involved in the society.

We run a bar here in Galway called Garavan's Bar, and we have an extensive range of whiskey, particularly Irish Whiskey as you would expect.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Thanks.

Paul.

Welcome Paul,

Great to see more pubs getting more whiskey. There are a few members in Galway as far as I know. Have you a webpage or facebook page you could post up?

There has been talk of having more tastings around the country and Galway has been mentioned a few times. I wonder who the Peter was? Did he mention Dingle? :)

Sláinte,
Willie
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby PaulG021 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Willie,
Great to hear from someone, we had a webpage but we recently took to down to re model it.

We do have a Facebook page I am attaching the following link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garavans ... 268?ref=hl

I would definitely like to see more tastings in Galway, there really aren't enough.

As for the Peter I met, yes he did mention Dingle Distillery!

Cheers,

Paul.
PaulG021
New Spirit

Postby Alicja » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am

Good to know - I have to pop in someday :) Never too many good pubs :)
Alicja
Quarter Cask

Postby PaulG021 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am

Hi Alicja,
Thanks for the reply.

Paul.
PaulG021
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

PaulG021 wrote:

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum and great to see another addition to the Galway Whiskey pubs.

I'm county Galway myself and have not been in Garavans in a few years so delighted to hear that ye have by the sounds of it a fantastic Whiskey library.
I'll definately will make it my business to drop by the next time I have a chance and relish the idea of persusing your selection.
I must try and take a few pics so I can post them up here for the other members to oogle over too :thumbsup:

I robbed the below off your Facebook page. I'll like your page via the IWS page when I get a chance and link it etc.

Are you in there often yourself? We should meet up and chat and Alicja too. I tried to get the Irish Whiskey Society off the ground in Galway a few years back but got a very poor response.
Don't have the time any more but it is something we all should keep in mind. The more people you can get interested the more customers.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:01 pm

treays wrote:I am looking into William Jameson1777-1802 (son of John Jameson the whiskey king) who was I believe in partnership with John Stein running the Marrowbone Lane distillery in Dublin.His brother John 1773-1861 eventually was in partnership with his father John Jameson running the Bow Street Distillery, later to become John Jameson and Son. William 's brother John married John Stein's daughter Isabella in 1802 the same year that William died.
Regards
Michael Treays

Hi Michael,

You have a lot of it already and if you have not already referenced the following you might consider it for any extra information you may gleam from them.

2 books in particular spring to mind.

The Lost Distilleries of Ireland by Brian Townsend (1997)

and probably more descriptive of the Distillery in it's hay day rather than any family info would be

The Whiskey Distilleries of the United Kingdom by Alfred Barnard (1887)

Unfortunately a lot of credible infomation from the Irish Distilling history seems to obliterated for public records.

Try thrawling through the Census records of the past to see who owned what when but even these records are not full.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Hope this helps. Can you enlighten us on the interest ... is it a Family connection or just a general interest.

Any further chat on this you really shoud start your own topic in the Whiskey Section as you will possibly get a better reaction.

Cheers and of course Welcome :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby treays » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks for the lead .My interest is family related as my late mother in law was a Jameson (5th generation from John Jameson) . The Jamesons were a closely knit but large family and it does seem odd that there were two rival distilleries Marrowbone Lane run by william Jameson and John Stein , and Bow Street distillery run by John Jameson and his son John junior, operating in Dublin in apparent competition at about 1800. Maybe this was a secret cartel and they were not in competition ? William died in 1802 aged only 25 and in the same year John junior married Isabella Stein ,John Stein's daughter . I know many marriages were arranged for economic reasons but all this looks strange if the distilleries were really in competition. I suspect that there may have been some arrangement made between John Jameson and John Stein but we may never know
Michael Treays.
treays
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:02 pm

treays wrote:Thanks for the lead .My interest is family related as my late mother in law was a Jameson (5th generation from John Jameson) . The Jamesons were a closely knit but large family and it does seem odd that there were two rival distilleries Marrowbone Lane run by william Jameson and John Stein , and Bow Street distillery run by John Jameson and his son John junior, operating in Dublin in apparent competition at about 1800. Maybe this was a secret cartel and they were not in competition ? William died in 1802 aged only 25 and in the same year John junior married Isabella Stein ,John Stein's daughter . I know many marriages were arranged for economic reasons but all this looks strange if the distilleries were really in competition. I suspect that there may have been some arrangement made between John Jameson and John Stein but we may never know
Michael Treays.

The Jameson family were involved in more than those distilleries, Andrew has a distillery in Enniscorthy in the 1820's and the Stiens were involved in some too. I think they are related to the Haigs too.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby PaulG021 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:15 am

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your reply, and for posting o e of our photos here.

I'm mainly in the bar most days but one of my main barman Brian is always about and always happy to chat about whiskey.

Pop in any time your about we would welcome any comments that you have about our whiskey range and any bottles you think we should get.

We also do some whiskey tasting in the bar.

Cheers.

Paul.
PaulG021
New Spirit

Postby joe.g » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:47 pm

hi my name is Joe
and i'm very new to the whole form gig, i'm from Dublin and have been collecting whiskeys since i heard the legend of the baileys
whiskey.
now this might shock you but.....i don't drink haven't in over twenty years so for me it is purely about collecting and i only collect Irish whiskeys all sorts but mainly Midleton very rare.

the reason i joined this forum is because i have three bottles that are not part of the series of midleton that i am mainly interested in collecting and i am trying to sell them on they are rather valuable or at least according to jameson and the celtic whiskey store they are, my problem is when i tried to advertise them on the likes of done deal and other sites the adds were taken down so can anyone tell me where i can advertise them in Ireland as i'm hoping to expand my very rare collection

thanks in advance Joe.g
joe.g
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum.

I hope you get around to posting your collection in the Whiskey section of the forum, under show off your collection

I know another member here that doesn't drink either. He just collects. I think he's a barman too.

i read your other post and see Adrian has responded to you. If you look back on previous posts in the Collectors Corner you'll get an idea of what others post. If you like you can attach a photo.

If you have knowledge to impart, feel free. There's often questions popping up about various bottles. What sort of Irish do you collect?
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby oots » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:56 am

Hi All,

Been an extoller of 'whiskEy' for many a year, and spent some fair time making cider and beer....theres an inadvertent song in there I think ;-)

Just looking to learn a bit more about the distilling process and to see hear what happening in the new growth of an old industry,

Best Rgd,s

Barry
oots
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Welcome Barry, yes I was begining to think you were about to break into song too :lol:

Anyway make yourself at home and feel free to join in and let us know what you think of what ever you are drinking etc.

hope you can stick around.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Welcome Barry,

Always good to hear from a brewer, not too many dabble in distilling here but if we did...........!!

The whiskey industry is growing and there is a resurgence in Poitin makers too and this time their legal, not that's something to sing about. :thumbsup:

Sláinte
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby oots » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi GWH/IWC,

Thanks for the welcome - ah fond memories of a sip of 'Hows Yer Father' with the handwritten label under the stairs ;-) Less of it about these days indeed!

I'm anengineer myself, so always did a little dabbling...as it happens a classmate of mine is signing the Jameson bottles these days, (and the fact that a previous master blender at IDL also has the same name as me!), so I feel a little almost compelled to proceed in dabblage in our fair uisce ;-) It could be a long road but worth a stroll down at least!

But I was looking through the forums and noticed one of your members, (JohnM), had a look into the legalities of licensing as a manufacturer/distiller/rectifier - I was aware of the archaic 1800 litre rule, but by the sounds of some of the recent arrivals on the scene it may not be as cast in stone as it once was - would ye have any info on the major obstacles in the way of progressing into niche distilling, (or coudl put JohnM onto me)?
Thanks n Rgds
oots
New Spirit

Postby oots » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Guys,

Anyone got any info (or link to previous post)?

Best Rgds,

Barry
oots
New Spirit

Postby MissMoo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi!

First time poster so go easy on me!

Well I started collecting Irish Whiskey a few years ago. Well, I'm now pregnant with my first child (yay!) and obviously am not consuming alcohol at the moment. With that in mind I looked at my collection ("collection" may be an exaggeration!) the other day and realised that I don't miss it and right now I feel I will never return to alcohol consumption again…….I say this now in sincerity, I may of course regret this further down the line! :)

So, I'm looking to sell my "collection"…..it mainly consists of Irish Distillers Whiskeys, but I have some Bushmills expressions too. I have more than one of pretty much all of the following if anyone is interested:
Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy
Midleton Very Rare 2012
Redbreast 15 Year Old
Redbreast 12 Year Old
Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength Batch 1
Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength Batch 2
Green Spot
Yellow Spot
Powers Signature Release (US only expression I think, though not 100% certain on that)
Powers Johns Lane
Bushmills 10 Year Old
Bushmills 16 Year Old
Bushmills 21 Year Old Madeira Finish

On most of the above I have the 750ml versions as I lived in the US until recently so there's extra value there lol.

And now the really good stuff:
Jameson Vintage Reserve 2007 http://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/collections/whiskeys/products/jameson-rarest-vintage-reserve Beautiful packaging if you haven't seen them before.
Jameson "Thanks a Million" Bottle - never for sale to general public, I paid a small fortune for this…:( Apparently only 1500 made.

I'm selling all of them slightly below cost if anyone is interested (though I'm not looking to be fleeced!)? Might make for slightly cheaper presents…..

The two Jamesons at the end however I won't part with cheaply however.

Drop me a line if you're interested.
MissMoo
New Spirit

Postby An Púcán Whiskey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi all - it seems the West is indeed a growth area here as I too am based in Galway.

My name is Cyril and I'm a non reluctant whiskey investigator.

The more I explore, the more the world of Whisk(e)y seems to offer!

Currently working with newly refurbished bar in Galway - An Púcán on Forster Street.

I also enjoy a good game of hurling. Up Tipp

Cyril
An Púcán Whiskey
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 am

Hi Cyril, welcome to the forum. There is a chance that a new chapter of the society will be opening in Galway soon. Here's a thread viewtopic.php?f=37&p=19480&sid=42eeb4092751ab1e048b25f273f86414#p19480
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction